Millions of colors on an IBM

Post by Steve Wilwerdin » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I've used Photoshop 4.0 for awhile on my Cyrix 6x86 P-120 machine, and it
seems to run just fine. My problem is that my monitor/video card (I don't
know which) only supports 256 colors. Since I will probably be buying a
computer in the near future, I would like to get a system that supports
millions of colors (like a Mac). It's no big deal, but it would be nice to
see a decent gradient fill for once. Short of buying a Mac, can anyone
tell me what equipment to look for that supports millions of colors? Right
now I am using a Super VGA monitor and a 1 meg Trident video card.

                                Steve Wilwerding
                        http://www.creighton.edu/~stevew

Millions of colors on an IBM

Post by Shannon Bentle » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

   Sounds like your problem is the 1 meg vid card. You need at minimum 2 meg
to get 16 or 24 bit color. Look for a system that has at least 2 meg on the
vid card, preferably a minimum of 4. The more ram the card has, the more
colors and the faster the video card will process things.

Shannon Bentley

Steve Wilwerding wrote in article ...

>I've used Photoshop 4.0 for awhile on my Cyrix 6x86 P-120 machine, and it
>seems to run just fine. My problem is that my monitor/video card (I don't
>know which) only supports 256 colors. Since I will probably be buying a
>computer in the near future, I would like to get a system that supports
>millions of colors (like a Mac). It's no big deal, but it would be nice to
>see a decent gradient fill for once. Short of buying a Mac, can anyone
>tell me what equipment to look for that supports millions of colors? Right
>now I am using a Super VGA monitor and a 1 meg Trident video card.

> Steve Wilwerding
> http://www.creighton.edu/~stevew

Millions of colors on an IBM

Post by shom.. » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>can anyone tell me what equipment to look for that supports millions of
>colors? Right now I am using a Super VGA monitor and a 1 meg Trident
>video card.

1 meg is not enough for 24-bit color (millions of colors, or "true
color").  You may be able to get more than 256 (15-bit or 16-bit color,
often called "high color") with the card you have.  There are many SVGA
cards from ATI, Matrox and others that will give you high and full
color.  They will have 2 meg at least.  Visit your local computer store
or check out a few catalogs.

You also want to check your monitor book to be sure your monitor will
support 15, 16, or 24 bit color in a satisfactory manner (noninterleaved
vs interleaved) at your desired screen resolution.

--
Bob
http://pages.prodigy.com/shomler/gallery.htm

Millions of colors on an IBM

Post by Mark Durge » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I've used Photoshop 4.0 for awhile on my Cyrix 6x86 P-120 machine, and it
> seems to run just fine. My problem is that my monitor/video card (I don't
> know which) only supports 256 colors. Since I will probably be buying a
> computer in the near future, I would like to get a system that supports
> millions of colors (like a Mac). It's no big deal, but it would be nice
> see a decent gradient fill for once. Short of buying a Mac, can anyone
> tell me what equipment to look for that supports millions of colors?
Right
> now I am using a Super VGA monitor and a 1 meg Trident video card.

You 'should' be able to be decent gradients with that video card. With 1
meg you should get 'high' (64k) color at 800 x 600 which is much better
than 256 colors.

How big is your monitor? If it's 14" 800 x 600 is about the max resolution
you'd really want to go. At 15" I use 1024 x 768 at home. Makes things
kinda small on screen, but I like it. At work I use a 17" at 1024 x 768.
Typically, the higher the resolution, the less colors you get. If your card
has more memory, then it can go higher with resolution and/or color.

- For 1024 x 768 with true (24 bit) color you'd need a card with 4 meg
- For 1024 x 768 with 'high color' (16 bit) you'd need a card with 2 meg
- For 800 x 600 with true (24 bit) you'd need 2 meg

So I'd say get a card with bare minimum 2 meg. 4 meg would be better. I've
always had good luck with STB cards, bad experiences with Diamond.

Mark Durgee

Millions of colors on an IBM

Post by Ian Firt » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>    Sounds like your problem is the 1 meg vid card. You need at minimum 2 meg
> to get 16 or 24 bit color. Look for a system that has at least 2 meg on the
> vid card, preferably a minimum of 4.

640 x 480 x 3bpp =  921600 bytes, which fits in under a meg.
800 x 600 will work at 16 bit color (960000 bytes) on a 1 meg card too.

I agree... 4 MB minimum is a must today.

Quote:>The more ram the card has, the more colors and the faster the video card will process things.

Actually, more RAM has nothing to do with the speed of the card, it will
allow more colors though.

--
Regards,
Ian Firth

http://www.divsoft.com

1. true color and 16.7 million colors

Hi everyone:

I was shopping around for a new video card and I noticed that vendors
with cards based on either the S3, ATI or Weitek chipsets called their
highest resolution "TRUE COLOR" while everyone else called it simply
"16.7 Million Colors".

I learned this while reading the NT hardware compatibility list which
implied there is a difference since some cards had settings for both.

Anyone know why this is? I thought there was no difference. If there
is, and True color provides more colors, anyone know a decent
True color 4meg NT-compatible card for under $500? 3-D not needed.
(It will be used on a  Sony 15sfII (up to 1200x1024 at 60Hz))

thanks,

ChrisB

 Christopher Buchholz              o      _     _         _

                         _< \_   _>(_) (_)/<_    \_| \   _|/' \/
                        (_)>(_) (_)        (_)   (_)    (_)'   \o_

2. Create a polygon from arbitrary collection of points?

3. 16 million colors to 256 colors

4. PSP6 Cutting out background.

5. Sorenson millions of colors

6. Messiah Review now Online, as requested

7. 7200 at millions of colors at 1152x870 - HELP!

8. Why millions of color?

9. millions of color hype

10. Millions of Colors on Performa 500

11. 16 million vs 65 thousand colors