Best jpeg format saving option in PS 6.0?

Best jpeg format saving option in PS 6.0?

Post by . » Thu, 23 May 2002 14:42:04

What's the difference between Baseline "standard", Baseline optimized and
progressive?  Which one is the best?  TIA!

Post by Gernot Hoffma » Fri, 24 May 2002 16:55:12

> What's the difference between Baseline "standard", Baseline optimized and
> progressive?  Which one is the best?  TIA!

Standard:    recommended, readable by all browsers.
Optimized:   slightly smaller file, but not readable by all browsers
Progressive: the reader sees first the low frequency components, a blurry
             and blocky preview in final size.
             The one or two following passes add the high frequency com-
             ponents until the final quality is reached.
             Not readable by all browsers. Not readable by publishing
             programs.

More about JPEG etc. in the PhS User Guide.

Would be useful to ask people whether they prefer a progressive view or
a slowly top-down growing quality view.

Best regards  --Gernot Hoffmann

1. JPEG saving options

A straight-forward answer to this might be out there, but I haven't
found it yet. (All file sizes are approximations, but representative of
actual experience.)

When saving JPEG's, the Quality drop-down menu gives you the choice of
Low, Medium, High, Maximum. Choosing Maximum gives a setting of 10.
However, you can increase the setting to 12. I've noticed that if I open
a JPEG that is, say, about 1.3mb and save it at the "default" Maximum
setting of 10, it compresses it to, say, about 900k. If I save it at the
"maximum" Maximum setting of 12, I actually end up with a larger file
than I started out with of about 3mb. Apparently it is uncompressing the
original compressed jpeg?

What's up with this, and practically speaking, should I be saving at 10
or 12?

(Take it as read that I know about tif being non-lossy, and jpeg being
lossy, etc. I'm just wondering about this Photoshop jpeg Quality thing.)

Thanks!!

--
Carl Miller

http://www.ezinfocenter.com/8557444

2. Typography question

3. PS skripting: getting last save for web options

4. Wacom Ultrapad eraser Script for Painter 3.1- does it work?

5. How can I change JPEG saving option?

6. website input please?

7. JPEG save options in PI5

8. PI Newbie With A Question

9. How can I change JPEG saving option?

10. Remembering Opening and Saving folder in PS 6.0

11. Saving in IR 3.0/PS 6.0

12. creating jpeg format images, or converting to jpeg format from various formats

13. Illustrator 6.0 alternate Save As... formats