how to extract jpg image from mpg ?

Post by robert t. lemm » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

i 'd like to have one jpg image from each of several mpgs
to use in a fairly simple application - user clicks on
jpg image to view corresponding mpg . if i use one of the
thumbnail packages, can i get a decent size/resolution
for the jpg, or is there a better way ? i have Photoshop LE,
but could not find any docs there for mpgs.

how to extract jpg image from mpg ?

Post by lee.richard » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Why don't you play back the MPEG file, pause it at the frame you want and do
a screen capture (ALT - Print Screen in Windows). Paste that into a new
canvas in Photoshop LE, crop and save as a JPEG.

Quote:

Post by Rober » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:49:29 +0100, "lee.richards"

> >Why don't you play back the MPEG file, pause it at the frame you want and do
> >a screen capture (ALT - Print Screen in Windows). Paste that into a new
> >canvas in Photoshop LE, crop and save as a JPEG.

> thanks for idea. i think it's close. what i get when i try to paste
> clipboard image into document  though shows the MicroSoft
> Media Player screen with an all black image. i will have to
> poke around a bit more. i appreciate the help.....rtl

I know for a Mac, QuickTime 4 Pro enables you to export movie frames as
pictures(albeit in PICT format) I've done that for a  MPEG I have, created an
action that lightens, then saves as a JPEG, the resulting file. Dunno much about
the Media Player(as I'm on a Mac) but screen captures don't work. THe only way I
was able to get captures was by exporting the movie from QuickTime Player as a
Movie to picture<shrug>

Robert

Post by robert t. lemm » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:49:29 +0100, "lee.richards"

>Why don't you play back the MPEG file, pause it at the frame you want and do
>a screen capture (ALT - Print Screen in Windows). Paste that into a new
>canvas in Photoshop LE, crop and save as a JPEG.

thanks for idea. i think it's close. what i get when i try to paste
clipboard image into document  though shows the MicroSoft
Media Player screen with an all black image. i will have to
poke around a bit more. i appreciate the help.....rtl

how to extract jpg image from mpg ?

Post by lee.richard » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Sorry my mistake, in Windows just hit Print Screen. That does a grab of your
whole desktop and will include the frame in Media Player.

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:49:29 +0100, "lee.richards"

> >Why don't you play back the MPEG file, pause it at the frame you want and
do
> >a screen capture (ALT - Print Screen in Windows). Paste that into a new
> >canvas in Photoshop LE, crop and save as a JPEG.

> thanks for idea. i think it's close. what i get when i try to paste
> clipboard image into document  though shows the MicroSoft
> Media Player screen with an all black image. i will have to
> poke around a bit more. i appreciate the help.....rtl

how to extract jpg image from mpg ?

Post by Equipe TH/H » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> i 'd like to have one jpg image from each of several mpgs
> to use in a fairly simple application - user clicks on
> jpg image to view corresponding mpg . if i use one of the
> thumbnail packages, can i get a decent size/resolution
> for the jpg, or is there a better way ? i have Photoshop LE,
> but could not find any docs there for mpgs.

You can use IrfanView V3.05 (an excelent freeware).This program
 extract all frame from AVI and MPEG movies.

Post by robert t. lemm » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>You can use IrfanView V3.05 (an excelent freeware).This program
> extract all frame from AVI and MPEG movies.

thanks to lee, blueshirt and alain.     PrintScrn had same effect.
( image screen was all black ).  have had another opinion from
old co-worker that screen captures won't work.
alain, if you have URL for IrfanView handy, please post. I'll check
some of the freeware sites in U.S. tonight.  Bon soir..........rtl

IrfanView works !  found it at www.downloads.com
documentation is sketchy, but it will pull a jpeg out of an mpeg.
much more about it i can't  say at this time......thanks