WACOM Tablets again

Post by Rex Cors » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Can somebody help.

I have just had a technician try to connect Mouse to Com1,Tablet to
Com2, Modem to Com3  but no matter what he tries he cannot achive
this.
He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
Thanks.

WACOM Tablets again

Post by doz » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Best config is to put mouse on Com1, modem on com2, and tablet on com3
(make sure that com3 is not sharing an irq with any of the other com
ports!)

Quote:> Can somebody help.

> I have just had a technician try to connect Mouse to Com1,Tablet to
> Com2, Modem to Com3  but no matter what he tries he cannot achive
> this.
> He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
> but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
> There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
> Thanks.

WACOM Tablets again

Post by rbil.. » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
> > but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
> > There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
> > Thanks.

Sounds like an IRQ conflict.  Com1 and Com3 share IRQ 4. Com 2 and Com 4
share IRQ 3.  You will need to look for a unused IRQ.  Try IRQ5 if you
don't have 2 printers attached, or even IRQ10 which is usually
unassigned.

Rick

WACOM Tablets again

Post by Gwendal Cober » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

No need to write everything in capital letters, better have a look at my
site

--
Regards
Gwendal Cobert

>> > He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
>> > but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
>> > There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
>> > Thanks.

>Sounds like an IRQ conflict.  Com1 and Com3 share IRQ 4. Com 2 and Com 4
>share IRQ 3.  You will need to look for a unused IRQ.  Try IRQ5 if you
>don't have 2 printers attached, or even IRQ10 which is usually
>unassigned.

>Rick

WACOM Tablets again

Post by Katherine Man » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

When I got a Wacom tablet I gave the mouse away. I put the tablet on Com 1,
the modem on Com 2 (if you want to put the modem on another Com port make
sure it is jumpered correctly), the digital camera is on Com 4 (and does not
conflict with the modem because I don't use it and the camera
simultaneously). There is nothing on Com 3 so nothing can conflict with the
tablet.

Check for IRQ conflicts of course, as others have mentioned.

I have found the stylus much more pleasant to use than any mouse. You
probably don't need it at all.

Katherine Mann

Quote:>Can somebody help.

>I have just had a technician try to connect Mouse to Com1,Tablet to
>Com2, Modem to Com3  but no matter what he tries he cannot achive
>this.
>He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
>but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
>There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
>Thanks.

WACOM Tablets again

Post by Vic Forsma » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The reason for the conflict, and if he is a tech he should know this, is
that Com 1 and Com 3 both use the same input/output port (i/o 3).  They use
differ interrupts to distinguish between the two coms.  (Incidentally, Com 2
and 4 are both on i/o 4).  When you try to hook up a tablet and a mouse to
Com 1 and Com 3 they use the same port to talk to the main processor and if
both try to talk at the same time then a conflict arises and neither gets to
be used.

If you know you won't use the mouse and the tablet at the same time you
would be better off installing them on the same i/o, i.e. Com 1 and Com 3.
Would be less chance of a conflict.

Hope this helps.

Vic Forsman
vicf a t nettally d o t com
printer a t harvest-press d o t com

>Can somebody help.

>I have just had a technician try to connect Mouse to Com1,Tablet to
>Com2, Modem to Com3  but no matter what he tries he cannot achive
>this.
>He can get the mouse to work on Com1, the tablet to work on Com2
>but the moment he tries to  shove the modem to Com 3 it will not work.
>There seems to be a conflict with the modem and tablet.
>Thanks.

WACOM Tablets again

Post by AlasaMorp » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same problem. You CAN NOT have 2 devices on the same port - almost. I did get my
PSION serial connection working on COM 4 with the modem on COM 2 as long as I didnt try to use both
at the same time. The wacom and mouse and modem ALL appear to need different IRQs. I want my mouse
on COM1, Modem on Com2 and Wacom on COM3 - but the wacom and mouse will not co-exist. So I am back
to the wacom on Com1. This wouldnt be soooo bad if I could get the  ABS/REL buttons at the top of
the ARTZ II pad to function. I have win95 and the wacom 2.45 driver. The software strings in
Photoshop5 dont seem to work either. PLUS I get driver doesnt support this function when I try to
assign the keys strokes. Is there a solution to this last problem.  A new driver forinstance - I
looked on the WACOM site but cant find anything newer than 2.45 for this tablet....

Any help appreciated

Patrick O

:-(

--

We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by AlasaMorp » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Er how do you change the internal COM IRQs under win95 - mine system wont let me do that. I have
irq9 and 10 available - I think!!!

--

We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by jlipmanso » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Not quite sure what you mean by "change", but if you mean you want to
activate them or make them available for use, check your bios. If they
are free, get their addresses and enter these in the control panel
device manager.

J. Lipmanson

> Er how do you change the internal COM IRQs under win95 - mine system wont let me do that. I have
> irq9 and 10 available - I think!!!

> --

> We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
> There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
> Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
> That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by AlasaMorp » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi
  When I go to device manager the com ports are checked for auto use - if I un-check them and try to
set the irq a dialogue appears saying these can only be set by the system....I cant re-allocate an
irq to com3 other than the std setting....

Patrick

--

We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by AlasaMorp » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Plus
  It appears that the software string problem with the tablet is PHOTOSHOP specific. Using the
button pads  on the wacom in word 6 - eg CTL-D works in word 6 but not in PS5. Ctl-D SHOULD
de-select a selection area. Any comments on this. I did got to the wacom siteand get the pce245.exe
driver which I thought was the same as the one I have on the install disks, 2.45. It obviously isnt
as I dont get the 'driver doesnt support this function' error when I try to set the keystroke in the
wacom control panel.
So its something to do with Photoshop5.... ABS/REL Still dont work!!

Thanks for the discussion.

Patrick
(-O

--

We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by jlipmanso » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Right. That message means that the change has to be done in your Bios
setup. You usually activate the bios setup program by hitting a hot key
on boot-up. Which key is usually shown on your monitor screen during
bootup.

J. Lipmanson

> Hi
>   When I go to device manager the com ports are checked for auto use - if I un-check them and try to
> set the irq a dialogue appears saying these can only be set by the system....I cant re-allocate an
> irq to com3 other than the std setting....

> Patrick

> --

> We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
> There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
> Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
> That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

WACOM Tablets again

Post by Wolf Fau » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>I have just had a technician try to connect Mouse to Com1,Tablet to
>>Com2, Modem to Com3  but no matter what he tries he cannot achive
>>this.

I do have an IO card with 8x serial ports based on the 16550. I do
know the IRQ and IO addresses of the card  but simply are unable to
get the Wacom driver to use anything else but the internal ports.

I am able to change Wacom.ini to use a different IRQ if I did assign
this IRQ/Address to an internal port using the BIOS.

Question: How can I change IRQ  AND  IO address for the Wacom driver?
According to the manual this is possible using Wacom.ini, however,
so far all I managed is changing the IRQ after checking what WTest did
on an internal serial port set to IRQ11. I want to set the UltraPad to
IRQ 11 with IO at FF00.

This Wacom driver really is hack that somehow got into Win 95/NT
days...

--

Tel: ++49-69-5486556                  Fax: ++49-69-95409598

1. Wacom tablet, mapping portions of the tablet....

I have a wacom intuos 6x8, and I was wondering if there is any way to map
specific portions of the tablet to certain keystrokes. I printed out the
Photoshop toolbar, and placed it under my overlay. Granted I could use the
shortcuts on the keyboard, but theres the novelty factor here, anyways I was
wondering if it is at all possible to map the printed out toolbar to the
respective photoshop toolbar shortcut keys... I looked in the wacom utility,
but I don't think they had this in mind.. If theres anyway to do this using
the wacom application i'd be much appreciated, barring that, any way under
Mac OS X...

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked before (I searched
on Google, but you can never be too sure)

2. PEX related Paper & Thesis

3. Wacom Tablet: Which Mail Order Store stocks tablet?

4. Technical Illustration FAQ (v 1.1.1)

5. WACOM Yet Again PlEASE.........

6. unsupported bitspersample format

7. (Q) TRY AGAIN: info needed on plotters, scanners, tablets

8. FS: Apple OneScanner

9. Tablets again: TouchPad?

10. Wacom Tablets

11. Wacom Tablets?