sepia filter

Post by Peter Kelle » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:38:03

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
color photos to sepia toning?
Thanks for any given help, - Peter -

sepia filter

Post by CoMa » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:55:57

Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:38:03 +0100,
"Peter Keller" wrote this message:

Quote:>Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
>color photos to sepia toning?
>Thanks for any given help, - Peter -

You can try
Cybia's ColourWorks plugin
http://www.cybia.co.uk/colour.htm
choose the Mono effect

Harry's Filter 3
http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/harrysfilters/index.htm
Choose "Group: Color" and "FX: Add Color"

Or you can use the Photoshop action
"Sepia Toning", you find it under "Default Actions"

/CoMa

--
Conny (CoMa) Magnusson

http://www.algonet.se/~hubbabub/
ICQ : 1351964
=============================
My point is, predators don't hunt
when they're not hungry, only humans do.

sepia filter

Post by jjs » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:15:37

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
> color photos to sepia toning?

Right there in the Actions window. "Sepia tone". Or for more control,
File->Mode->Duotone. Choose a brown and black or just load one of the warm,
brown tones from the Load option.

sepia filter

Post by CoMa » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:26:46

Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:15:37 -0600,
"jjs" wrote this message:

>> Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
>> color photos to sepia toning?

>Right there in the Actions window. "Sepia tone". Or for more control,
>File->Mode->Duotone. Choose a brown and black or just load one of the warm,
>brown tones from the Load option.

In PS7.01
Image-Mode-Grayscale
And then
Image-Mode-Duotone

/CoMa

--
Conny (CoMa) Magnusson

http://www.algonet.se/~hubbabub/
ICQ : 1351964
=============================
The smallest good deed is better
than the greatest intention.

sepia filter

Post by Peter Wollenbe » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:23:28

>Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
>color photos to sepia toning?
>Thanks for any given help, - Peter -

Hi Peter,
there are several ways to achieve this

1. Create a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, check "colorize" and move
the Hue slider to a value of 40, then adjust saturation to a value of
17

2. Desaturate (preferably convert to LAB and use the L-channel to
create a new RGB-image), then add a color balance adjustment layer.
Set the midtone cyan to +35 and the midtone yellow to -35. The
advantage is that only the midtones are affected and the highlights do
not become as washed out and ugly as is occasionally observed with
method 1.

3. Tacit would say that everything can be done with curves in
photoshop ;) and he would be right as far as sepia-toning is
concerned.
Start by desaturating the image, then add a curves adjustment layer.
Select the red channel and move the center point of the line (input
128) upward until the output is at +143, then select the blue channel
and move the point at input 128 downwards until output is at 114.
Using curves you have added flexibility, since you can tweak the
shadows and highlights freely. This, however, requires some experience

4. to 6.) you can use a spot color/duotone, the levels command or a
solid color layer set to color mode.

Of course, all values I suggested are meant as an initial guess and
should be modified to suit your needs.

HTH, Peter

sepia filter

Post by Conrad Weil » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:03:52

<< Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
color photos to sepia toning? >>

Hi Peter,

On some (all?) Epson printers, the software driver choice allows for selecting
sepia.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

sepia filter

Post by jjs » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:18:30

Quote:> << Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
> color photos to sepia toning? >>

> Hi Peter,

> On some (all?) Epson printers, the software driver choice allows for
> selecting
> sepia.

That's what we call Creative Marketing since the default behavior of the
earlier Epsons was to print all B&W as seipa tone. :)

sepia filter

Post by Scruf » Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:36:57

easy way; IMAGE/adjustments/hue-saturations/click the colorize box and
adjust to the level you prefer.

another way;go to http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/index.htm
and download photwiz. It works great and it's free.

Quote:> Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
> color photos to sepia toning?
> Thanks for any given help, - Peter -

sepia filter

Post by CoMa » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:03:32

Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:36:57 -0500,
"Scruff" wrote this message:

Quote:>another way;go to http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/index.htm
>and download photwiz. It works great and it's free.

Did you mean this ?

PhotoFreebies
http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/photofreebies/index.htm
a collection of free plugins for performing usefull photo
manipulations and effects e.g. sepia effects, desaturation gradients,
b/w conversion, color space transformations and many more.

Download "PhotoFreebies" from Winsite.com
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?19000000037522

/CoMa

--
Conny (CoMa) Magnusson

http://www.algonet.se/~hubbabub/
ICQ : 1351964
=============================
Don't be afraid to say "I made a mistake!"

sepia filter

Post by Taci » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:38:28

Quote:>Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
>color photos to sepia toning?

You don't need a filter; all you need is Photoshop's built-in tools. There are
many, many ways to do this; each may give slightly different results, so you
have plenty of effects to choose from.

Any one of these techniques will work:

1. Use Image->Adjust->Hue and Saturation. Click on "Colorize" and move the Hue
and Saturation buttons to taste.

2. Use the Color Picker to pick a color, then Edit->Fill with Foreground Color
in Color mode.

3. Desaturate the image, then Image-.adjust->Curves.

4. Create a duotone. This gives you the most control; you can specify a black
and sepia duotone that will allow you to mimic the effect of a real duotone
with a great deal of precision and control.

5. Use Photoshop's built-in Sepia action.

6. Create a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer.

7. Use the Channel Mixer.

8. Ceate a layer, fill it with color, and set its Blending Mode to Color.

http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

sepia filter

I meant what I said, plain and simple.

Post by Owen Ranse » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:32:58

Quote:>Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a filter to change
>color photos to sepia toning?
>Thanks for any given help, - Peter -

Have a look at:

http://www.ransen.com/repligator/sepia.htm

sepia filter

Post by Aerticeu » Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:27:10

There is no shortage of easily used effects designed to do this and many
other chores

Aerticeus