Convert flat image to semi-transparent

Post by Raul Dia » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 01:16:33

Hi,

I have an image with a white background and a drop shadow.

The problem is that the image is flat and I would like it to be
transparent.

The real problem is in the flat drop shadow where it is desired to
have a gradient transparency from 100% to 0 (from outside to inside).

Whats the best way to do it?

-rsd

Post by Johan W. Elzeng » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:20:28

> I have an image with a white background and a drop shadow.
> The problem is that the image is flat and I would like it to be
> transparent.
> The real problem is in the flat drop shadow where it is desired to
> have a gradient transparency from 100% to 0 (from outside to inside).
> Whats the best way to do it?

Double click the background layer to make it a normal layer. Go to the
Channels palette and click on the RGB icon while holding the Ctrl-key
(Cmd-key on a Mac). That will load a selection based on luminosity.
Choose the rectangular selection tool and while holding down the
Alt-key, select the image itself. This will subtract the image from the
selection, so you only have the shadow and he white background selected
by luminosity. Hit the delete key to delete the selection.

--
Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer,  www.johanfoto.com

1. Semi-transparent images

Hello,
I'm looking for a way to create filled rectangles in such a way that the
background is visible through it. In essence, giving the effect that you are
seeing the background through a tinted window. What I'm wondering is how I
can create this effect by changing the RGB values of the background pixels
in a particular rectangular region of the background. What calculations
should I perform on the pixels of the background image?
Also, it would be cool if i could vary the level of transparency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

2. What is a GPF file? How to view?

3. Semi-Transparent Image Overlay?

4. geometry constraint en displacement mapping

5. Semi-Transparent Image

6. Stockage insuffisant....

7. Semi Transparent Image

8. Semi transparent Image

9. converting flat image to a flag

10. Semi-transparent height field?

11. TransparencyFX - creates semi-transparent text!

12. semi-transparent tile