wacom tablet advice please

Post by Maralyn Shi » Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am all set to buy a tablet - I would like to know if anyone has
experience of the  Wacom "Artpad" which is much cheaper than the
Ultrapad range. I could just about afford an Ultrapad but only the A5
size.
I want to use it to help with photomanipulation. Does the Wacom  work
really well with Photoshop?  Hope someone out there could offer me
some advisce - thanks a lot
Maralyn

wacom tablet advice please

Post by Lanny Chambe » Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I am all set to buy a tablet - I would like to know if anyone has
> experience of the  Wacom "Artpad" which is much cheaper than the
> Ultrapad range. I could just about afford an Ultrapad but only the A5
> size.
> I want to use it to help with photomanipulation. Does the Wacom  work
> really well with Photoshop?  Hope someone out there could offer me
> some advisce - thanks a lot

Unless you'll be tracing large originals, you'll probably not need a tablet
larger than the ArtPad (I scan large originals and trace them in a higher
layer). Most of my tablet use is in fine detail touch-ups where the
pressure sensitivity is a big advantage over the mouse. Any Wacom tablet
will work superbly in Photoshop--and you should see how they work in
Painter!

I thank myself frequently for buying the ArtPad rather than a larger
model--it takes so little space on my desk, and still does everything I ask
of it.

Visit the Hummingbird Page: <http://www.derived.com/~lanny/hummers>

wacom tablet advice please

Post by Leez » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Maralyn:
        I have used the 4x5 artpad and also the  6x9 tablets. I find that
using the artpad is much easier during photo manipulation.  The screen
relativity is constant since you are working with small areas of a picture
at a time.  The 6x9 is ok, but I find myself constantly running off the
edge.
        Good Luck.

Lisa

wacom tablet advice please

Post by Bob Driske » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I am all set to buy a tablet - I would like to know if anyone has
>experience of the  Wacom "Artpad" which is much cheaper than the
>Ultrapad range. I could just about afford an Ultrapad but only the A5
>size.
>I want to use it to help with photomanipulation. Does the Wacom  work
>really well with Photoshop?  Hope someone out there could offer me
>some advisce - thanks a lot
>Maralyn

ArtZII is perfect....5x7 and really light. It eliminates the need to sit so close to the desk/table/whatever
because you have no mouse to drag around. I don't set the pad down...it sits in my lap like a real
drawing pad. The darn thing has caused me to have some problems at work though, I am getting
spoiled using it at home :-}

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-----------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Should one unhitch his cart before or after passing by the horses?"

                 Home of Digital Alchemy

wacom tablet advice please

Post by Raelene Langfiel » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Nearly everyone who writes to this newsgroup will tell you that the
Wacom tablets are excellent - the only dissent is over the size. I
bought mine a few weeks ago, and was able to try out a few different
sizes in the store.

IMO the size of the tablet you buy should be determined partly by your
monitor, and mostly by how you feel about it. I really recommend trying
out a few different sizes of tablet on a monitor similar to the one you
will be using it with. The extra time this will take is worth it.

Best regards,

Raelene Langfield

wacom tablet advice please

Post by Bennet » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am lucky enough to have a 4x5, 6x8, and 12x12.
the 4x5 is great for replacing a mouse. Doing illustrations is tough.
The 6x8 fits nicely on the desk or in my lap and is good all around. I also
use a puck instead of a mouse here.
The 12x12 is great for freehand drawing, you can really get into those long
strokes, (especially noticable with painter). The drawback is moving around
the screen takes a lot of arm movement since the tablet is so large and you
also need the desk space for it.

hope the info helped
--
Bennett Greenberg

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> >I am all set to buy a tablet - I would like to know if anyone has
> >experience of the  Wacom "Artpad" which is much cheaper than the
> >Ultrapad range. I could just about afford an Ultrapad but only the A5
> >size.
> >I want to use it to help with photomanipulation. Does the Wacom  work
> >really well with Photoshop?  Hope someone out there could offer me
> >some advisce - thanks a lot
> >Maralyn

> ArtZII is perfect....5x7 and really light. It eliminates the need to sit

so close to the desk/table/whatever
Quote:> because you have no mouse to drag around. I don't set the pad down...it

sits in my lap like a real
Quote:> drawing pad. The darn thing has caused me to have some problems at work

though, I am getting