Filters menu and adding filters?

Post by Lewis..Weborium..M » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Sometimes if I install a filter (say Eye Candy), it shows up in Photoshop in
it's own "folder" under the Filters menu.  Nice and neat.
But I've installed quite a few filters that just throw themselves into my
"Filters>Other" category, so that "other" folder is HUGE and takes long
browses to find a filter that should be neatly categorized.  It's a big
mixed up mess, even filters that came as a 'package' (TypeCaster) are all
mixed up in there.
Please help, is there a way to customize how the 8bf's show up in
Photoshop's Filters menu?  5.5
thanks!

Filters menu and adding filters?

Post by djo » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:10:59 -0800, "Lewis..Weborium..Me"

>Sometimes if I install a filter (say Eye Candy), it shows up in Photoshop in
>it's own "folder" under the Filters menu.  Nice and neat.
>But I've installed quite a few filters that just throw themselves into my
>"Filters>Other" category, so that "other" folder is HUGE and takes long
>browses to find a filter that should be neatly categorized.  It's a big
>mixed up mess, even filters that came as a 'package' (TypeCaster) are all
>mixed up in there.

Been a while since I've done this, but...

1) Make a backup of the .8bf file.
2) Open the filter in a hex editor (UltraEdit is good)
3) Search for the text string you want to change (the name of the
"folder"). This will probably appear more than once - only one of them
matters, keep altering and restoring single characters until you find
the crucial string.
4) Change the string to your alternative folder name, padding out any
extra characters with NULLs (ASCII 0)

Works for me - if it didn't, restore from the backup.

djo.

Post by Tone Marie Ber » Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:10:59 -0800, "Lewis..Weborium..Me"

>Sometimes if I install a filter (say Eye Candy), it shows up in Photoshop in
>it's own "folder" under the Filters menu.  Nice and neat.
>But I've installed quite a few filters that just throw themselves into my
>"Filters>Other" category, so that "other" folder is HUGE and takes long
>browses to find a filter that should be neatly categorized.  It's a big
>mixed up mess, even filters that came as a 'package' (TypeCaster) are all
>mixed up in there.
>Please help, is there a way to customize how the 8bf's show up in
>Photoshop's Filters menu?  5.5
>thanks!

There is a limit to the number of sub-menus the filter menu can have -
26 sub-menus in total (that is, including the sub-menus for
Photoshop's own filters) if my memory serves me right. If your filters
try to make more than 26 sub-menus, they won't be allowed to do so,
instead they'll be shoved into the "other" sub-menu.

The solution? Either go with djo's tip and re-organize your filters,
or uninstall or disable the filters you don't use. To disable a
filter, rename the filter file. I normally go from "filename.8bf" to
"filename.8b_", but I've also been told that you can rename them to
"~filename.8bf". Disabling a filter this way keeps it in your plug-ins
folder, but Photoshop won't load it.

--
Tone Marie Berg

If you place your site on the web and no one sees it, is it really there?