Is there anything between the Filter Factory and the full SDK ?

Is there anything between the Filter Factory and the full SDK ?

Post by Timo Autioka » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I have been experimenting with the Filter Factory and I must say it is
the most limited piece of software I have ever seen.  I also downloaded the
SDK from Adobe www, something around 5MB, but seems that I would need to
have a C++ and from the language they use there I get the feeling it is
meant for the 20 most experienced programmers in the world.

The Filter Factory is only 48kb and by resource and hex editing it I see
that it appears to be mostly full of 00h and variables, there is hardly more
that some 5kb to 10kb of actual code. So maybe there is a better Filter
Factory available somewhere ?

The Filter Factory is rather handy tool to have. It is on the cd
(goodies/plug-in directory) or can be downloaded from
http://pluginhead.i-us.com/ffc.htm  but is has serious limitations:

- code can be only about 1000 characters per color. One can not even fill
the "put" array fully, that has room for 256 integers.
- calculates only in integer math. It would be much better to calculate in
floating  point.
-has only the very basic math functions *, /, +, -, modulo, abs, and square
root. It has also sin, cos and tan for polar coordinate calculation.
-every constants are calculated for every pixel again and again. It would be
good to have in addition a constant declaration area that would be processed
only once.
-works only in RGB mode.

Timo Autiokari

Is there anything between the Filter Factory and the full SDK ?

Post by Chris C » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

There really isn't anything in between.
And the SDK is not for genius programmers -- I started with it in college
after playing with C for only 2 years (not bad for a physicist).

Chris

> Hi, I have been experimenting with the Filter Factory and I must say it is
> the most limited piece of software I have ever seen.  I also downloaded the
> SDK from Adobe www, something around 5MB, but seems that I would need to
> have a C++ and from the language they use there I get the feeling it is
> meant for the 20 most experienced programmers in the world.

> The Filter Factory is only 48kb and by resource and hex editing it I see
> that it appears to be mostly full of 00h and variables, there is hardly more
> that some 5kb to 10kb of actual code. So maybe there is a better Filter
> Factory available somewhere ?

> The Filter Factory is rather handy tool to have. It is on the cd
> (goodies/plug-in directory) or can be downloaded from
> http://pluginhead.i-us.com/ffc.htm  but is has serious limitations:

> - code can be only about 1000 characters per color. One can not even fill
> the "put" array fully, that has room for 256 integers.
> - calculates only in integer math. It would be much better to calculate in
> floating  point.
> -has only the very basic math functions *, /, +, -, modulo, abs, and square
> root. It has also sin, cos and tan for polar coordinate calculation.
> -every constants are calculated for every pixel again and again. It would be
> good to have in addition a constant declaration area that would be processed
> only once.
> -works only in RGB mode.

> Timo Autiokari

1. Filter Factory + free filters

Hi there

If you ever wanted to program your own filters without having to learn C
or C++ and Windows or Mac internals, then this is the site for you:

http://privat.schlund.de/filter-factory

There, you will find lots of documents, links to variuos interesting
homepages full of filters for you and your designer friends...

Check it out!

Werner D. Streidt

2. VICAR for Amiga, or source/specs?

3. Filter Factory personal filters

4. How to access ALL resolutions?

5. Filter Factory filter problems

6. Need help with Texture memory problem ON IMPACT.

7. 200 more free Filter Factory Filters (PC version)

8. PS6 screen refresh...HELP!

9. Filter Factory + free filters

10. Mac user needed to compile a filter factory filter