Caching RAM vs. Ultra DMA

Post by Derek Cra » Sun, 05 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,

I am putting together a new computer, but I am still unsure of what
motherboard to get.  This computer will have 128MB of RAM, so I'm not sure
which chipset to get.  The i430TX chipset only caches 64MB of RAM, and from
what I've been reading, if I have more than this than I will take a
performance hit.  The i430HX chipset can cache up to 512MB of RAM, which
would be better in my situation.  However, the i430HX chipset does not
support Ultra DMA, which the i430TX does.  My question then, is, would it
be better for me to get the i430TX along with an Ultra DMA hard drive so
that my hard drive would be faster or should I get the i430HX so all my RAM
will be cached?  Thank you to all that read and reply to this.  Please
reply through e-mail.

Caching RAM vs. Ultra DMA

Post by PlaneD » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Yuo might want to consider getting an HX board, and then getting and
add on IDE controller card that supports Ultra DMA. (I realize your
using a slot this way, but still...)

I'd certainly recommend against putting more than 64 meg of ram in a
computer that won;t cache it all, since cacheing is critical to the
performance of a Pentium class machine. You might also want to make
sure that your board itself supports all the features of the HX
chipset, since I've seen bards that don't allow for caching above 64
meg even WITH the HX chipset. (I have a Tyan board that has a CMOS
setup option to turn on caching above 64 meg)

Hope this helps,

Randy

>Greetings,

>I am putting together a new computer, but I am still unsure of what
>motherboard to get.  This computer will have 128MB of RAM, so I'm not sure
>which chipset to get.  The i430TX chipset only caches 64MB of RAM, and from
>what I've been reading, if I have more than this than I will take a
>performance hit.  The i430HX chipset can cache up to 512MB of RAM, which
>would be better in my situation.  However, the i430HX chipset does not
>support Ultra DMA, which the i430TX does.  My question then, is, would it
>be better for me to get the i430TX along with an Ultra DMA hard drive so
>that my hard drive would be faster or should I get the i430HX so all my RAM
>will be cached?  Thank you to all that read and reply to this.  Please
>reply through e-mail.

Caching RAM vs. Ultra DMA

Post by Nigel J. Carro » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Greetings,

>I am putting together a new computer, but I am still unsure of what
>motherboard to get.  This computer will have 128MB of RAM, so I'm not sure
>which chipset to get.  The i430TX chipset only caches 64MB of RAM, and from
>what I've been reading, if I have more than this than I will take a
>performance hit.  The i430HX chipset can cache up to 512MB of RAM, which
>would be better in my situation.  However, the i430HX chipset does not
>support Ultra DMA, which the i430TX does.  My question then, is, would it
>be better for me to get the i430TX along with an Ultra DMA hard drive so
>that my hard drive would be faster or should I get the i430HX so all my RAM
>will be cached?  Thank you to all that read and reply to this.  Please
>reply through e-mail.

What about the Via chipset boards.. 1mb cache.. not sure what cache
limit is must check - have FIC-PA2007 board with Ultra DMA..

Other alternative Promise Ultra DMA card in HX chipset board..

Nigel J. Carron

Statements do not represent C. G. Systems Policy.

1. Cache Ram vs CPU vs. Pov Render Time

One for the computer Guru's.

I have a PC compatable P-166 with 128megs of ram.

What will happen to render time in POV-Ray if I were to
increase the CPU memory cache on my system.

I currently have 256k but the board will handle up to 512k

Will this allow my CPU to operate more efficiently ?
Will I see any performance difference ?
Is this a no gainer ?

Also I just recieved a P-200 MMX processor
from a friend who just upgraded. My MB will
not support a MMX processor. Would I see
much of a speed difference if I got another
MB and used the new processor ?
166 -200 doesn't sound like much of an improvement
considering the price of MB's.
Would I even notice the difference ?
Would Pov even notice it?
What is the meaning of life ?

Ken

2. curves & splines & surfaces

3. 300mhz pent II, agp, ultra dma

4. sorry if this is a dumb question

5. TNT2 Ultra vs VX1 vs G400

6. Programming plugins for Studio Max?

7. DDR Ram vs SDR Ram

8. RAM Cache: Help!

9. Memory (Disk cache, Virtual,Ram Disk)?

10. Rock Solid PS (and MAC and RAM cache/disk)

11. MHZ vs RAM, Pentium vs Cyrix????

12. Ram vs 3D card, P3 vs Athlon