combining multipass-scans

Post by doug nels » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

are there any scanners or scanning utilities that support multiple scans of
the same image to inhance range?

is there a way to do this same thing in photoshop (ie: scan once for
quality in the highlights, change settings and scan again for quality in
shadows, then combine the two into one continuous image)?

-- doug nelson
==============================
http://fenchurch.org/~killjoy

combining multipass-scans

Post by LLutt » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>are there any scanners or scanning utilities that support multiple scans of
>the same image to inhance range?
>is there a way to do this same thing in photoshop (ie: scan once for
>quality in the highlights, change settings and scan again for quality in
>shadows, then combine the two into one continuous image)?

Any scanner will do this procedure. I believe the correct procedure or at least
the one I am familiar with is:
1.) make the two scans as you described,
2.) Copy and paste one image onto
    the other. This places the two images
    on separate layers.
3.) You have to select and delete the
     bad highlight or shadow area on  the
     front layer so the good area below           shows thru.
It may be easier to make a mask, or use a plugin like Mask Pro to select the
over/underexposed area. Also, you probably should feather the selection.
Lynn Lutton

combining multipass-scans

Post by Tony Spadar » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >are there any scanners or scanning utilities that support multiple
scans of
> >the same image to inhance range?
> >is there a way to do this same thing in photoshop (ie: scan once for
> >quality in the highlights, change settings and scan again for
quality in
> >shadows, then combine the two into one continuous image)?

> Any scanner will do this procedure. I believe the correct procedure
or at least
> the one I am familiar with is:
> 1.) make the two scans as you described,
> 2.) Copy and paste one image onto
>     the other. This places the two images
>     on separate layers.
> 3.) You have to select and delete the
>      bad highlight or shadow area on  the
>      front layer so the good area below           shows thru.
> It may be easier to make a mask, or use a plugin like Mask Pro to
select the
> over/underexposed area. Also, you probably should feather the
selection.
> Lynn Lutton

That's what I do. It is important to do both scans at the same time (I
have also done more than two) so the images are identical in size,
orientation, and every other respect except Levels (or curves) setting.
--
Scanning, digital photo retouching, restoration,
and web prep in Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Suggestions for combining scanned and digital picture wrt similar grain

I've been browsing around this NG and around the web for a solution to
this particular problem:

I have two pictures, a scanned photograph (4x6 picture scanned at 300dpi
on
a Canon FB600U USB scanner) and a picture taken with a Canon Powershot
S30
at full resolution (3 megapixel, 2something x 1something).

Scanned:  My wife's softball team, taken with (what appears to be) 400
ASA film. Picture was taken about 7:00pm in the summer so late day light
and was also taken with a flash.  The shirts, which are red, are fairly
bright
and the white lettering is actually ghosted since it's over exposed a
bit.

Digital:  Two people from my wife's softball team who weren't at the
final game.  The picture was taken at around 6:00 on an overcast day
without a flash.

Someone decided that since I know something about computers that I would
be the one to combine them.

I've been able to use masking to remove the two missing players and paste
them in as a new layer on the team photo.

I've also been able to play with burning and dodging to get the shirts
and letters to similar colors/brightness.

The two biggest problems I have:  free rotating and matching graininess.

The scanned picture is grainier than the digital picture.  I know there
are methods for removing some grain, but what's a good method for adding
or matching grain?

Free rotate:  I had thought PSP7 had a free rotate feature (as in, grab
the selection and rotate).  Is this not the case?  It seems the only way
to do it is to specify values which is not as efficient, IMHO.

Any help on these? I'd be more interested in help with the grain issue.

2. R: Searching for OpenGL tutorial

3. Combining Scans

4. Lost Manual

5. Combining scans

6. OT: thanks

7. combining multiple scans of same image for greater bit depth

8. objekte auf bewegungspfad, geschwindigkeit steuern

9. Delphi 5 Combine multiple scanned images into single JPG

10. multipass rendering in real production environments

11. multipass rendering in R4

12. Multipass Rendering?