printing problem driving us crazy - help please

printing problem driving us crazy - help please

Post by S. Plan » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

We are having a sporatic problem with print colors that is driving us crazy.
The system is Photoshop 3.0 for Windows printing to a Tektronix Phaser IIsdx
dye sublimation printer with the Tektronix printer driver.  The problem is
that prints from many files have a light green-blue overcast.  Even the white
background shows this color.  When we use the info palette to look at RGB
values, they are OK;  white areas have no color.

I suspect that there is a setting somewhere that we are missing, but we
have gone through menu after menu and not found (or recognized) the right
option.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

S. Planck

Post by Brian Mathe » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> We are having a sporatic problem with print colors that is driving us crazy.
> The system is Photoshop 3.0 for Windows printing to a Tektronix Phaser IIsdx
> dye sublimation printer with the Tektronix printer driver.  The problem is
> that prints from many files have a light green-blue overcast.  Even the white
> background shows this color.  When we use the info palette to look at RGB
> values, they are OK;  white areas have no color.

> I suspect that there is a setting somewhere that we are missing, but we
> have gone through menu after menu and not found (or recognized) the right
> option.

> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

> S. Planck

Sporadic, huh?  That makes things tough.  I'm not familliar w/ the
printer you mention, but if it prints from CMYK ribbons perhaps working
in CMYK color mode might more accurately represent monitor to printer
results and make any casts more apparent.

Your use of the info pallette makes monitor calibration pretty
irrelevant...but creating a custom monitor setup that _shows_ the cast
might help you to color correct any prints that have the cast.  (i.e.
you make a print that - regrettably - has a cast, switch monitor setups
and now obliterate it.  Won't help get first prints right - but it'll
help a ton when tryng to color correct from a monitor that already looks
good).

I know from experience that when I print RGB files with my HP 560
Photoshop works some RGB to CMYK magic in the background.

Also,is there a profile for your printer available in the
Prefs-> printing inks setup dialog box.  If not maybe someone has
devised a custom set.

Sorry about the ambiguity - just throwing two cents around :).

brian

Post by d.. » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> We are having a sporatic problem with print colors that is driving us crazy.
> The system is Photoshop 3.0 for Windows printing to a Tektronix Phaser IIsdx
> dye sublimation printer with the Tektronix printer driver.  The problem is
> that prints from many files have a light green-blue overcast.  Even the white
> background shows this color.  When we use the info palette to look at RGB
> values, they are OK;  white areas have no color.

> I suspect that there is a setting somewhere that we are missing, but we
> have gone through menu after menu and not found (or recognized) the right
> option.

> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

> S. Planck

Somewhere (if not on your HD, then on the floppies that came with your
printer) you should have a printer calibration utility (on the mac, it is
in a folder called "printer utilities"). Running this will let you gray
track and linearize the printer.

--
__________D_D_G_X____________________
__________i_l_l_u_s_t_r_a_t_i_o_n______&______d_e_s_i_g_n________

     \|||||/
    / _   _ \
  <|-(o)-(o)-|>
   |   / \   |    |||
    \ ----- /   \    /
      \|||/     /  /

1. Crazy Job please, can anyone Help ?

I've already sent mails to Pixar, Digital Domain and Cinesite.

I'm looking for anything realy, have some NT 4.0 System Admin and
infrastructure experience.

Have had a major interest in CGI since I owned a Texas Instruments T99-
4A, and chucked Hex code in it. I'm currently messing about with BMRT
and have started an Open University Degree (Biology: Brain & Behaviour)
here in jolly old England.

Studied, Diploma TV & Video Production Management, HND Engineering
Mechatronics, HND Software Engineering, B.Sc (Hon's) Business
Information Technology.

Any ideas, suggestions, airline tickets.

Cheers, with fluffy bits.

Bunny (!!)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Bundle Deal: Ulead Systems + Teveo

3. ==== IOMEGA IS CRAZY - FREE DRIVE ====

4. ANNOUNCE: Java RenderMan Bindings v0.92 available

5. Double Buffering drives me Crazy

6. Another annoying VGA question

7. Tranparency dots driving me CRAZY!

8. gamma driving me crazy

9. Template driving me crazy!

10. This is driving me crazy!

11. Ticks Driving Me Crazy in Sub-Object Level