Save A .pdf..

Post by JD » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:23:01

Sometimes I'll open a .pdf document in CS3 to make some changes to it
and then save it as a .pdf with a new name. The problem I'm having is
when I start with a .pdf document that is 308KB in size and open one
page of that document in CS3 and then save the changed page as a .pdf,
the new one page document is now 1.41MB in size.

I've played around with different settings in the Save As dialog box and
I can get a smaller file but it's not very sharp, not nearly as sharp as
the smaller, original .pdf.

I used the following settings to get the 1.41MB file:
Adobe PDF Preset: [Press Quality](Modified)
Standard: None  Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)
Options selected: Optimize for Fast Web Preview

If I choose [Smallest File Size]in the Adobe PDF Preset, the resulting
.pdf is smaller, but not as sharp as the original .pdf.

Are there better selections when Saving to preserve both the size and
sharpness of the original .pdf document?

--
  JD..

Save A .pdf..

Post by Johan W. Elzen » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 07:06:48

> Sometimes I'll open a .pdf document in CS3 to make some changes to it
> and then save it as a .pdf with a new name. The problem I'm having is
> when I start with a .pdf document that is 308KB in size and open one
> page of that document in CS3 and then save the changed page as a .pdf,
> the new one page document is now 1.41MB in size.

> I've played around with different settings in the Save As dialog box and
> I can get a smaller file but it's not very sharp, not nearly as sharp as
> the smaller, original .pdf.

> I used the following settings to get the 1.41MB file:
> Adobe PDF Preset: [Press Quality](Modified)
> Standard: None        Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)
> Options selected: Optimize for Fast Web Preview

> If I choose [Smallest File Size]in the Adobe PDF Preset, the resulting
> .pdf is smaller, but not as sharp as the original .pdf.

> Are there better selections when Saving to preserve both the size and
> sharpness of the original .pdf document?

Does the original PDF document contain text and/or vector graphics? If
so, that may be your problem. Photoshop will render text and vector
graphics to pixels, making the file size bigger and the quality worse.

--
Johan W. Elzenga           johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer     http://www.johanfoto.com

Save A .pdf..

Post by JD » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:11:06

>> Sometimes I'll open a .pdf document in CS3 to make some changes to it
>> and then save it as a .pdf with a new name. The problem I'm having is
>> when I start with a .pdf document that is 308KB in size and open one
>> page of that document in CS3 and then save the changed page as a .pdf,
>> the new one page document is now 1.41MB in size.

>> I've played around with different settings in the Save As dialog box and
>> I can get a smaller file but it's not very sharp, not nearly as sharp as
>> the smaller, original .pdf.

>> I used the following settings to get the 1.41MB file:
>> Adobe PDF Preset: [Press Quality](Modified)
>> Standard: None        Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)
>> Options selected: Optimize for Fast Web Preview

>> If I choose [Smallest File Size]in the Adobe PDF Preset, the resulting
>> .pdf is smaller, but not as sharp as the original .pdf.

>> Are there better selections when Saving to preserve both the size and
>> sharpness of the original .pdf document?

> Does the original PDF document contain text and/or vector graphics? If
> so, that may be your problem. Photoshop will render text and vector
> graphics to pixels, making the file size bigger and the quality worse.

Yes, the original .pdf is mostly text.

I've been playing around with the compression and I'll be able to find a
happy medium between quality and size but now I understand why I'll
never get the quality of the original .pdf. Thanks!

--
  JD..

Save A .pdf..

Post by Jim Web » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:16:43

>>> Sometimes I'll open a .pdf document in CS3 to make some changes to it
>>> and then save it as a .pdf with a new name. The problem I'm having is
>>> when I start with a .pdf document that is 308KB in size and open one
>>> page of that document in CS3 and then save the changed page as a .pdf,
>>> the new one page document is now 1.41MB in size.

>>> I've played around with different settings in the Save As dialog box and
>>> I can get a smaller file but it's not very sharp, not nearly as sharp as
>>> the smaller, original .pdf.

>>> I used the following settings to get the 1.41MB file:
>>> Adobe PDF Preset: [Press Quality](Modified)
>>> Standard: None        Compatibility: Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4)
>>> Options selected: Optimize for Fast Web Preview

>>> If I choose [Smallest File Size]in the Adobe PDF Preset, the resulting
>>> .pdf is smaller, but not as sharp as the original .pdf.

>>> Are there better selections when Saving to preserve both the size and
>>> sharpness of the original .pdf document?

>> Does the original PDF document contain text and/or vector graphics? If
>> so, that may be your problem. Photoshop will render text and vector
>> graphics to pixels, making the file size bigger and the quality worse.

> Yes, the original .pdf is mostly text.

> I've been playing around with the compression and I'll be able to find a
> happy medium between quality and size but now I understand why I'll
> never get the quality of the original .pdf. Thanks!

To keep the PDF small, open the page you are editing in Illustrator,
rather than Photoshop. If you just 'save', all the other pages of the
PDF will be unaffected by your change; however, if you 'save as' I
believe it will only save the one page you opened.

Because Illustrator is NOT rasterizing the text, the file size should be
almost as small as the original.

Save A .pdf..

Post by JD » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:29:01

>>> Does the original PDF document contain text and/or vector graphics? If
>>> so, that may be your problem. Photoshop will render text and vector
>>> graphics to pixels, making the file size bigger and the quality worse.

>> Yes, the original .pdf is mostly text.

>> I've been playing around with the compression and I'll be able to find
>> a happy medium between quality and size but now I understand why I'll
>> never get the quality of the original .pdf. Thanks!

> To keep the PDF small, open the page you are editing in Illustrator,
> rather than Photoshop. If you just 'save', all the other pages of the
> PDF will be unaffected by your change; however, if you 'save as' I
> believe it will only save the one page you opened.

> Because Illustrator is NOT rasterizing the text, the file size should be
> almost as small as the original.

I didn't install Illustrator but it is on my CS3 disk, I think. I don't
edit many .pdf files but if I need to, it's good to know how to get
better results. I'm just not familiar with Illustrator.

--
  JD..

1. Saving a PDF file in Illustrator.

Anyone know the differnece between saving a file as a PDF and "printing"
it to the PDF Writer? PDF Writer does not handle EPS files imbedded in
Illustrator. Does saving to PDF do this? Is the Distiller better for this?

Also, does AppleTalk have to be active when saving a Postscript file for
the Distiller?

Thanks!

2. RGB <---> CMYK

3. Bitmap PS file saved as PDF won't print

4. Websafe palette...

5. saving as PDF and getting font problems

6. *.iv --->> *.gif (or tif)

7. Save As PDF

8. Save a pdf file as a gif or jpg

9. Save as PDF - fonts embedding

10. Saving as PDF?

11. what is "enbed font"? how to save as pdf?