Why can't I sample between layers?

Post by A.V. » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

What am I missing here?
Using the * Stamp tool.
I can have two different files open. I can sample the pixels on one
image and apply them to a different image.

But I cannot sample from one layer to apply onto another layer WITHIN
the same image.

Can you do this?

AV

Post by Kirk Hoba » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>What am I missing here?
>Using the * Stamp tool.
>I can have two different files open. I can sample the pixels on one
>image and apply them to a different image.

>But I cannot sample from one layer to apply onto another layer WITHIN
>the same image.

>Can you do this?

You have to select the source layer before clicking your source point.
Then select your destination layer and begin drawing.

Why can't I sample between layers?

Post by Skip Reille » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

    You can also select Sample Merged from the * Stamp Options palette,
but of course you will then be * stamping everything under the source
layer as well. It can be useful sometimes.

--
Skip Reilley
Blue World Productions

Post by A.V. » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>     You can also select Sample Merged from the * Stamp Options palette,
> but of course you will then be * stamping everything under the source
> layer as well. It can be useful sometimes.

> --

So if there then are only two layers, I can use Sample Merged to sample
from one layer to another? But if there are 3 layers, I would be
sampling from Layers 2 & 3 onto 1?

I'll have to try it. Never used Sample Merged before.
Thanks

AV

Why can't I sample between layers?

Post by Skip Reille » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

    WHOOPS! A correction if I may. I mistakenly said that the * Stamp
tool will sample anything from any layers BELOW the source layer if Sample
Merged is selected from the Options palette. The fact is that it will sample
everything on ALL layers regardless of their relative position to the source
layer. (Hanging my head in embarrassment)

--
Skip Reilley
Blue World Productions

>>     You can also select Sample Merged from the * Stamp Options
palette,
>> but of course you will then be * stamping everything under the
source
>> layer as well. It can be useful sometimes.

>> --

>So if there then are only two layers, I can use Sample Merged to sample
>from one layer to another? But if there are 3 layers, I would be
>sampling from Layers 2 & 3 onto 1?

>I'll have to try it. Never used Sample Merged before.
>Thanks

>AV

Why can't I sample between layers?

Post by Kirk Hoba » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Just in case someone can't follow this discussion, the * stamp
option "Sample Merged" is now called "Use All Layers" in PS5.

Layer-switching tip: Ctrl+RightClick an object in your image.
Photoshop will tell you what layer it's on, and let you select that
layer.

Post by Gregory Lemir » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>     WHOOPS! A correction if I may. I mistakenly said that the * Stamp
> tool will sample anything from any layers BELOW the source layer if Sample
> Merged is selected from the Options palette. The fact is that it will sample
> everything on ALL layers regardless of their relative position to the source
> layer. (Hanging my head in embarrassment)

> --
> Skip Reilley
> Blue World Productions
> www.blueworld.net

I use Edit > Take Merged Snapshot, then Image > Apply Image.
--
Gregory Lemire
Graphics and Web Design: http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. I'm looking for psd layered samples !

Hi everybody,

beginner would like to have some nice psd layered postcards,
which I could modify by switching the layers.

Another nice sample I would like to have is a psd layered picture from a
person, which I could dress and undress by switching the
layers.

I was trying to make it on my own but had no satisfying
results. The edges were looking bad.
I mean I read somewhere of a tool, which creates nice looking layer edges
for a good transition to the rest of the picture.

Thanks in advance,
Kay Fabig, Berlin- Germany

2. ListView headers

3. Why WHY in God's Name????!?!!!???

4. (UK) Artist Vacancies - Particle Systems Ltd.

5. I miss soften working with sample merged on layers in PSP7

6. gloss coating

7. Can't compile Phil's Sample

8. Does Mesa have support for quad-buffered stereo?