New Computer?

New Computer?

Post by ja.. » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 05:48:10



I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace.  Does anyone
have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
with lots of layers.  Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
viewing all my images.

Thanks Kindly

 
 
 

New Computer?

Post by mike » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 06:32:48




Quote:> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace.  Does anyone
> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
> with lots of layers.  Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
> viewing all my images.

Those are big images. I estimate that a 25 gb image consisting 25 layers
of 16 bit-per-channel RGB data would be around 10,000x10,000 pixels! Or
you could have 1000+ layers of editing if you limited yourself to an
image with resolution typical of a top-end SLR. Could there be a
misprint somewhere, because otherwise it may be difficult to find a PC
architecture that would even allow for 25gb+ of RAM?

Mike

 
 
 

New Computer?

Post by ja.. » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:30:22


I only mean the camera image is 25gb.

 Just trying to familiarize myself with how much ram, processor, video
card etc I need.  A lot has changed from my old computer  like DDR3,
Duo Core, Quad Core, I think they even have a Six Core what ever it is
called.  I almost get the feeling that laptops are cheaper than a desk
top.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:32:48 +1300, mike




>> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace.  Does anyone
>> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
>> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
>> with lots of layers.  Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
>> viewing all my images.

>Those are big images. I estimate that a 25 gb image consisting 25 layers
>of 16 bit-per-channel RGB data would be around 10,000x10,000 pixels! Or
>you could have 1000+ layers of editing if you limited yourself to an
>image with resolution typical of a top-end SLR. Could there be a
>misprint somewhere, because otherwise it may be difficult to find a PC
>architecture that would even allow for 25gb+ of RAM?

>Mike

 
 
 

New Computer?

Post by Kabuk » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 02:40:28



Quote:>I only mean the camera image is 25gb.

you mean MB right? not GB
I don't think even hasselblad or leica gives a 25 gb image

> Just trying to familiarize myself with how much ram, processor, video
> card etc I need.  A lot has changed from my old computer  like DDR3,
> Duo Core, Quad Core, I think they even have a Six Core what ever it is
> called.  I almost get the feeling that laptops are cheaper than a desk
> top.

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:32:48 +1300, mike



>>> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace.  Does anyone
>>> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
>>> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
>>> with lots of layers.  Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
>>> viewing all my images.

>>Those are big images. I estimate that a 25 gb image consisting 25 layers
>>of 16 bit-per-channel RGB data would be around 10,000x10,000 pixels! Or
>>you could have 1000+ layers of editing if you limited yourself to an
>>image with resolution typical of a top-end SLR. Could there be a
>>misprint somewhere, because otherwise it may be difficult to find a PC
>>architecture that would even allow for 25gb+ of RAM?

>>Mike


 
 
 

New Computer?

Post by ja.. » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:13:56


Opps you are correct. 25 mb



>>I only mean the camera image is 25gb.

>you mean MB right? not GB
>I don't think even hasselblad or leica gives a 25 gb image

>> Just trying to familiarize myself with how much ram, processor, video
>> card etc I need.  A lot has changed from my old computer  like DDR3,
>> Duo Core, Quad Core, I think they even have a Six Core what ever it is
>> called.  I almost get the feeling that laptops are cheaper than a desk
>> top.

>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:32:48 +1300, mike



>>>> I have a seven year old PC and it is time to replace.  Does anyone
>>>> have recommendations on the level of PC, ram, operating system etc I
>>>> should buy? Oh I mainly want it for CS4 and working with 25gb images
>>>> with lots of layers.  Even Picasa and Bridge are painfully slow when
>>>> viewing all my images.

>>>Those are big images. I estimate that a 25 gb image consisting 25 layers
>>>of 16 bit-per-channel RGB data would be around 10,000x10,000 pixels! Or
>>>you could have 1000+ layers of editing if you limited yourself to an
>>>image with resolution typical of a top-end SLR. Could there be a
>>>misprint somewhere, because otherwise it may be difficult to find a PC
>>>architecture that would even allow for 25gb+ of RAM?

>>>Mike



 
 
 

1. Moving PI6 from old computer to NEW computer?

Hello  Everyone!

I just bought a replacement computer and would like to move my installation
from my older computer to the new one. What do I need to do?

--
Any Ideas? Thank you for your help!
Marc / Tech Support Sunbelt Software Inc.
** EZ Auto Leasing...consumer car & truck leasing software **

Web site: remove "nogoodpart" from www.nogoodpartsunbeltinc.com

2. Looking for pretty icons

3. Question: Grainy graphics/new computer

4. MAX 2.5

5. Hot and New Computer Titles

6. Crosshatch Pattern

7. Advice on new computer: RAM

8. Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH Jan mtg

9. Advice on new computer: SCSI

10. ***NEW*** Computer Animation-oriented Page (CharAnim, Meshes, HTML)

11. new computer graphics site

12. New computer

13. Advice on new computer