Which tool....?

Post by Dave » Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:12:43

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie using PS7.  I have a photo of my daughter in which
there is a bright shard of sunlight crossing her face.  Apart from that the
rest of the photo looks properly exposed.  Which tool or procedure should I
employ to target this area and reduce it's 'blown out' look but leave the
rest of the picture as is?

Cheers

Dave

Which tool....?

Post by Flycaste » Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:15:06

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm a complete newbie using PS7.  I have a photo of my daughter in which
> there is a bright shard of sunlight crossing her face.  Apart from that
the
> rest of the photo looks properly exposed.  Which tool or procedure should
> employ to target this area and reduce it's 'blown out' look but leave the
> rest of the picture as is?

If it's really "blown out" there isn't much you can do since there is no
information to work with.  You might try selecting the area (lasso tool
should work fine), feathering it slightly (try 30 px to start) and then
toggle a curves adjustment layer.  On the composite channel (RGB), try
dragging the curve down (grab it at the 3/4 tone level) and see if it helps.

There are lots of different ways to do this, but this will give you an idea
of whether or not you can save the image.  All you are doing is masking the
rest of the image while applying an adjustment only to your selection.  In
one fell swoop you will have made a selection, a mask, and an adjustment ~
you're on your way.  See Adjustment Layers, Masks and Selections in the
on-line help.

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Which tool....?

Post by Taci » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:07:13

Quote:>You might try selecting the area (lasso tool
>should work fine), feathering it slightly (try 30 px to start)...

30 pixels is not a slight feather.

If the hilight area is sharp-edged, the selection should be sharp-edged, too.

--
Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Which tool....?

Post by Warren Sar » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:02:03

> I'm a complete newbie using PS7.  I have a photo of my daughter in which
> there is a bright shard of sunlight crossing her face.  Apart from that the
> rest of the photo looks properly exposed.  Which tool or procedure should I
> employ to target this area and reduce it's 'blown out' look but leave the
> rest of the picture as is?

That depends on what part of her face, what angle the photo is
taken from, etc. If you can put a copy of the photo on the web,
you'll get answers that are more relevant.

--

Warren S. Sarle       SAS Institute Inc.   The opinions expressed here

(919) 677-8000        Cary, NC 27513, USA  those of SAS Institute.

1. Tool tool

**************** Needed info on TOOL-TOOL *************************

Those of you that have struggled with Sunview know how hard it it to put together
a complex arrangement of buttons, sliders etc on a screen, I mean in terms of
placement etc.  Also trying out different sizes, fonts etc take a lot of time.
What is needed here is a TOOL-TOOL - a tool that will let you interactively specify
where you want the panels, buttons, sliders, canvasses etc., and when you hit "go",
it will either write the code for you or atleast give the parameters to use
in the calls to window_create.

I was told by our Sun-rep that sun is working on such a tool, but with low priority.
When we know that high priority items such as 4.0 are delayed an year, you can
imagine when the tool-tool would be out. He also told me that IDE had such a tool.
Apparently someone at IDE worked on it for his masters thesis.

I would be interested in obtaining information, source, or binary of such a tool-tool
if any of you out there have it.  You can email me at sun!gotham!ursa!raj.

2. JPEG image compression: Frequently Asked Questions

3. PSP 7.04 and workspace and the tool bar tools

4. Indeo 4.1 for the Mac - (n)ever?

5. A new drawing tool suggestion - inertia tool

6. Type Tool in PS 5

7. Number of Tools in my Tool Bar

8. Does anybody use this card?

9. variations tool and color balance tool

10. Magnetic Lasso Tool / Magic Wand Tool ?

11. plastic tool cost and tool design