KPT3.0 - No way for tiled textures?

Post by Sunil Mish » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

\\ It seems there's no way of creating a texture that can be used as a tile.  It's
\\ great to have the flexibility of a continuous and infinite texture, but a lot of
\\ flexibility is lost when you start to axe good old features while implementing
\\ new features.
\\
\\ For owners of KPT 2 it's not a huge problem since they can use its texture
\\ explorer - although it's a 16 bit app for Windows machines.

Speaking of which, the box which contained KPT 3.0 also contained a CD ROM
on the Mac version, which had KPT 2.1 texture explorer and fractal explorer
on it. They cited the exact same reasons about which you are complaining
for the presence of these filters.

Sunil

Post by Bruno Fernand » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

It seems there's no way of creating a texture that can be used as a tile.  It's
great to have the flexibility of a continuous and infinite texture, but a lot of
flexibility is lost when you start to axe good old features while implementing
new features.

For owners of KPT 2 it's not a huge problem since they can use its texture
explorer - although it's a 16 bit app for Windows machines.  Plus the fact that
you now have extra files installed taking up resources that you shouldn't have
to waste.

Another feature lost is the ability to option/alt-click on the current
centre-pattern to preserve it.  You can only use this option on the 16 mutated
samples around it (you could do this to either in the older KPT which was
great).

Bruno.

Post by Bruno Fernand » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>\\ It seems there's no way of creating a texture that can be used as a tile.  It's
>\\ great to have the flexibility of a continuous and infinite texture, but a lot of
>\\ flexibility is lost when you start to axe good old features while implementing
>\\ new features.
>\\
>\\ For owners of KPT 2 it's not a huge problem since they can use its texture
>\\ explorer - although it's a 16 bit app for Windows machines.

>Speaking of which, the box which contained KPT 3.0 also contained a CD ROM
>on the Mac version, which had KPT 2.1 texture explorer and fractal explorer
>on it. They cited the exact same reasons about which you are complaining
>for the presence of these filters.

And that's pathetic considering that I can't exchange settings between these two
plugins.  So if I get something I like in either program, I'm screwed if I want
to render off a portion in the other format.  Bad planning.  Any time you're
extending a program it makes no sense to axe previous key features - especially
when they don't preclude the addition of the new features.  In the least you
make another module in the new format to perform the old functions - hell, they
could have made 2 new texture explorers - at least they'd both be 32bit and with
a similar interface.

Bruno

Post by Jerry Kinda » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>And that's pathetic considering that I can't exchange settings between these
>two plugins.  So if I get something I like in either program, I'm screwed if I
>want to render off a portion in the other format.  Bad planning.  Any time
>you're extending a program it makes no sense to axe previous key features -
>especially when they don't preclude the addition of the new features.  In the
>least you make another module in the new format to perform the old functions -
>hell, they could have made 2 new texture explorers - at least they'd both be
>32bit and with a similar interface.

Considered using the Seamless Welder?  Depending on what you start with,
it can do a pretty nice job turning the TE 3 textures into tiles.

Quote:>Bruno

--

Manual Labor: We Wrote The Book!
http://www.manual.com/home/

1. Q: Ways of controlling an animated texture

Hi,
Im looking for an flexible way to control 20 texture-maps in an
animation in Max2. The textures should be blend from one into another,
letting max do the work. The maps are very big. So I dont want to
creating a sequence of single maps, showing every step of the blend.
Further I want to have the ability to easily change the time (key) of
full appearence of every map in the end.
I thought about a cascaded blend material, but this is not very
flexible. The other approach was a one level blend material with two
IFL-Files, switching the the mix amount at the key.
Does anyone have an idea of a quicker and more flexible method or a max-
or ifl-function I dont know?

Stefan

2. Professional Web Design, Custom Graphic Design Services

3. make seamless textures in KPT3

4. How do I Create Dynamic text box

5. KPT3 and texture filter

6. Grab all pictures from a website in a click

7. KPT3/texture designer/repeat size - how?

8. Iiyama monitors

9. Texture and Fractal exploprers in KPT3.0...where?

10. Built In textures in KPT3.0

11. texture tiling

12. Texture-Tiles with smooth transition

13. !Preview: Blade's Textures & Tiles