center image when printing to paper

Post by Bobbie DeBerg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On the screen my image is centered on a 8.5x11" canvas, however, when it
prints out the image is not centered and is more toward the top of the
printed paper?  I've tried everything from resizing the image to
dragging down... it still prints out wrong.

Any settings I might have missed?
Thanks,
Bobbie

center image when printing to paper

Post by Richard Jenkin » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:44:01

Quote:

> On the screen my image is centered on a 8.5x11" canvas, however, when
> it prints out the image is not centered and is more toward the top of
> the printed paper?  I've tried everything from resizing the image to
> dragging down... it still prints out wrong.

> Any settings I might have missed? Thanks,
> Bobbie

It might be something to do with your printer's margins. What printer
are you using? Make sure you have the latest drivers for it.

Richard
-
Replace 'invalid' with 'com' to Reply to Sender.
Or Send Mail to: omegalpha at techie dot com.
Message tidied up using 'SmartWrap': http://www.selznick.com/
Tidy up automated by 'AutoMate': http://www.unisyn.com/

center image when printing to paper

Post by Richard Haseltin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have the same problem (printing to A4) with PS, Painter (5.5 & 6) and
Acrobat Reader.
My printer is an Epson Stylus 500 (creak, puff, pant). My old system (Win 95
instead of 98SE) still has the same problem with Acrobat, even though it is
now hooked up to an HP Deskjet 710 and I think I've removed the Epson driver
(no copies of its DLLs, nothing Epson-looking left in the registry) and
reinstalled the HP driver. Both drivers are latest versions (or were a few
weeks ago) though that's not saying much for the Epson.

As a workaround until a true genius steps in try lying about the paper
length, adding the amount by which the image is offset in your driver's
settings.

Quote:> On the screen my image is centered on a 8.5x11" canvas, however, when it
> prints out the image is not centered and is more toward the top of the
> printed paper?  I've tried everything from resizing the image to
> dragging down... it still prints out wrong.

> Any settings I might have missed?
> Thanks,
> Bobbie

center image when printing to paper

Post by Bobbie DeBerg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My printer is an HP DeskJet 880C Series Printer, not sure whether I have
latest drivers, i installed printer with cd that came with it...
a note... when I print-preview in Photoshop it shows the image to be up
toward the top of the 'paper' as well.  I can't find any way within
Photoshop to move the image so that it shows correctly placed on that
print preview.  As in other programs, if I could it would probably print
out on paper in the correct position, no?

Bobbie

Post by John Houghto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> On the screen my image is centered on a 8.5x11" canvas, however, when it
> prints out the image is not centered and is more toward the top of the
> printed paper?  I've tried everything from resizing the image to
> dragging down... it still prints out wrong.

> Any settings I might have missed?

PS prints the image centered in the printer's printable area.  On Epson
printers such as the 600 and 750, the top margin is 3mm and the bottom
margin is 14mm so the printable area is offset, with the result that PS
prints the image offset too.  However, the printer driver provides an option
to use a centered printable area (necessarily slightly smaller than
standard).  If this option is selected via printer setup, PS will print a
nicely centered image.  Maybe the printer you are using offers a similar
facility?
John

center image when printing to paper

Post by Richard Jenkin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> My printer is an HP DeskJet 880C Series Printer, not sure whether I
> have latest drivers, i installed printer with cd that came with it...
> a note... when I print-preview in Photoshop it shows the image to be
> up toward the top of the 'paper' as well.  I can't find any way within
> Photoshop to move the image so that it shows correctly placed on that
> print preview.  As in other programs, if I could it would probably
> print out on paper in the correct position, no?

> Bobbie

Yep, if it looks right in print preview it'll look right on paper (in
theory  ;-)  ). I have exactly the same problem with my HP DeskJet 690C.
I contacted HP and they said it couldn't be done because of the
printer's margins. Which is complete rubbish, all they would have to do
is give an option to set the small margin to match the larger one in the
driver settings. I told them this and they came back with more rubbish
like 'it would mean redesigning an old printer'. Obviously, if it's
still a problem with the 880C they haven't been thinking properly about
their 'redesigning'.

Anyway, enough ranting. I can't think of a way around this in PhotoShop.
In Paint Shop Pro 6 you can use the 'Print Multiple Images' function.
This gives complete control over where the image appears on the paper. I
also seem to remember that PhotoImpact does a good job of centering no
matter what the printer's margins are.

Try upgrading your printer drivers from http://www.hp.com/ . It won't
solve the margin issue, but might make it possible to get a centered
image by manually rescaling it.

Good luck,

Richard
-
Replace 'invalid' with 'com' to Reply to Sender.
Or Send Mail to: omegalpha at techie dot com.
Message tidied up using 'SmartWrap': http://www.selznick.com/
Tidy up automated by 'AutoMate': http://www.unisyn.com/

center image when printing to paper

Post by Richard Jenkin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> On the screen my image is centered on a 8.5x11" canvas, however, when
>> it prints out the image is not centered and is more toward the top of
>> the printed paper?  I've tried everything from resizing the image to
>> dragging down... it still prints out wrong.

>> Any settings I might have missed?

> PS prints the image centered in the printer's printable area.  On
> Epson printers such as the 600 and 750, the top margin is 3mm and the
> bottom margin is 14mm so the printable area is offset, with the result
> that PS prints the image offset too.  However, the printer driver
> provides an option to use a centered printable area<snip>

This is not currently an option in the HP DeskJet driver. I have posted
a request for this function on the HP support forum and the moderator
has passed it on to the development team. So fingers crossed :)

Richard
-
Replace 'invalid' with 'com' to Reply to Sender.
Or Send Mail to: omegalpha at techie dot com.
Message tidied up using 'SmartWrap': http://www.selznick.com/
Tidy up automated by 'AutoMate': http://www.unisyn.com/

center image when printing to paper

Post by John Bon » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I don't try to print from Photoshop at all.  Never happy with how it tries
to print.  All the issues everyone here has mentioned and all the things
everyone suggested, I tried at one point or another.  I went to a program
called VuePrint Pro Ver.7.6.  It will resize and center the image on the
paper no matter what the printer or paper size (except 19X22 on an epson
3000).  So far, this is the best way to print I have found.  And I killed a
lot of trees finding this out.  It is all a great program for viewing all
the TIFF and a lot of the RAW images that I get from my Kodak and Canon
Digital cameras. (don't use it to convert from the RAW format though). you
can use it for free for 15 days.  Try it, you might like it.  I have been a
user since version 2.8

hope this helps.