Setting the memory allocation for Nikon Scan in Windows

Setting the memory allocation for Nikon Scan in Windows

Post by Spongeworthy Bob Hotpant » Mon, 20 May 2002 20:57:12

The documentation with the Coolscan 4000 talks about setting the memory
allocation for Nikon Scan but the manual only talks about how to do it for
Macs.  Is setting this even possible for Windows?? I'm using Win XP, thanks.

Setting the memory allocation for Nikon Scan in Windows

Post by bj » Tue, 21 May 2002 01:49:11

XP manages memory on its own, Mac's doesn't. So on an XP PC there is
no need to manually allocate memory. (Except for Photoshop, which has
its own very efficient memory management).
But NikonScan has a few bugs, and leaks memory, so you should restart
NikonScan now and then.

BJ

On Sun, 19 May 2002 11:57:12 GMT, "Spongeworthy Bob Hotpants"

>The documentation with the Coolscan 4000 talks about setting the memory
>allocation for Nikon Scan but the manual only talks about how to do it for
>Macs.  Is setting this even possible for Windows?? I'm using Win XP, thanks.

Setting the memory allocation for Nikon Scan in Windows

Post by Godfrey DiGior » Tue, 21 May 2002 01:57:31

Mac OS 9 does not provide process memory protection and requires that
applications manage their memory usage in a single address space for all
processes and operating system code, that's why you have to set memory
allocations.

Mac OS X is a fully implemented kernel operating system with full process
memory protection and a full-time virtual memory implementation. Every
application is given an independent address space the size of the
processor's addressable memory space. The operating system manages memory
based upon application demand, so there is no user setting of memory
allocation required or possible.

Godfrey

> XP manages memory on its own, Mac's doesn't. So on an XP PC there is
> no need to manually allocate memory. (Except for Photoshop, which has
> its own very efficient memory management).
> But NikonScan has a few bugs, and leaks memory, so you should restart
> NikonScan now and then.

> BJ

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 11:57:12 GMT, "Spongeworthy Bob Hotpants"

> >The documentation with the Coolscan 4000 talks about setting the memory
> >allocation for Nikon Scan but the manual only talks about how to do it for
> >Macs.  Is setting this even possible for Windows?? I'm using Win XP, thanks.

1. setting memory allocations for apps

Simple answer: no, VB should handle this for you.
If you don't have enough physical RAM then is should dig into virtual RAM so
it may be worth changing the amount allocated by Windows for that to work
properly.  AFAIK Win98 and lower chokes at 16mb per bitmap, and there is a
max number of handles you can have going at any one time so only keep GDI
objects in memory while you need them (You can always load a DIB, grab it's
data into a byte array then kill the bitmap object for instance)
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
WWW: Http://EDais.earlsoft.co.uk/

2. RenderMan - what platform should I pick

3. Memory Allocation with MS-DOS/Windows GnuPlot

4. Auction: Kurta IS/ONE Graphics Tablet

5. Memory Allocation

6. Quark memory allocation

7. Quark: The max necessary memory allocation?

8. memory allocation to finder

9. vidtomem: VL: Failed allocation of resource or memory

10. Help: vidtomem VL: Failed allocation of resource or memory