Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 01:18:30

First of all, I apologize for not cross-posting.  I'm using Foret Agent.
For some odd reason, my crossposts don't always go through. Soooo:

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for
suggestions.  I also have a question:  Since a * computer is so good
at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these?  I usually use a
laptop as a desktop and money is not an object.  I am cuurently looking
at a Sager * laptop - the NP8121
http://www.veryComputer.com/

It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use.  Comments please?
The more - the better!!!

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:32:25

>> First of all, I apologize for not cross-posting.  I'm using Foret Agent.
>> For some odd reason, my crossposts don't always go through. Soooo:

>    Well, X-Posting should have nothing to do with the reader, and Agent
>should have no problem x-posting the same message to multiple groups.

>    The only problem or advance that

>1. Many News SERVERS (not Agent nor any reader) won't allow x-posting to
>more than 3-4 groups.

I already checked with my ISP and they have no restrictions.  Besides, I
only crosspost to no more than 3 groups.

Quote:

>2. Agent, it doesn't matter how many groups the message being x-posted to,
>you will only see ONE x-posting message on the FIRST group of your list.

>    IOW, with Agent you will only see ONE instead of 1000 x-posting messages.

What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

Quote:

>> I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for
>> suggestions.  I also have a question:  Since a * computer is so good
>> at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these?  I usually use a
>> laptop as a desktop and money is not an object.  I am cuurently looking
>> at a Sager * laptop - the NP8121
>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use.  Comments please?
>> The more - the better!!!

>    I have many Desktops and NoteBooks, but I have only installed Photoshop on
>single Desktop to have much experience with Notebook.  But my granddaughter
>(still in college) works for a company as Graphic Designer that they provide
>her many Adobe products including CSx.  I forget to mention she runs them on
>her Notebook, and a nephew of mine running CS3 on his notebook too.

>    My grand-daughter complaing her notebook is kinda slow, and it can only go
>up to 2GB of memory which I replaced (2) 512MB with (2) 1GB memory cards.

I would get a 64bit notebook with Windows 7 and USB3 (when it comes out
and is proven to work).

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by tony coope » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:17:10

Quote:>>        IOW, with Agent you will only see ONE instead of 1000 x-posting messages.

>What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
>see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
>wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
>might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
>thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as
"read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup.  Once you
read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.

IOW - In other words.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:18:06

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:17:10 -0500, tony cooper

>>>    IOW, with Agent you will only see ONE instead of 1000 x-posting messages.

>>What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
>>see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
>>wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
>>might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
>>thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

>Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as
>"read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup.  Once you
>read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.

>IOW - In other words.

Thanks.......   That makes sense.  Why read something more than once?  My
issue is that many times, a crosspost doesn't even show in ANY group.
Then, I'm sort of forced to make the same post in each group that might
give me a good response - any no one likes multiple posts (and I can see
why).

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by tony coope » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:28:31

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:17:10 -0500, tony cooper

>>>What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
>>>see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
>>>wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
>>>might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
>>>thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

>>Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as
>>"read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup.  Once you
>>read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.

>>IOW - In other words.

>Thanks.......   That makes sense.  Why read something more than once?  My
>issue is that many times, a crosspost doesn't even show in ANY group.
>Then, I'm sort of forced to make the same post in each group that might
>give me a good response - any no one likes multiple posts (and I can see
>why).

If your cross-posting doesn't appear in any group, you are doing
something wrong.  Possibly not putting a comma between the names of
the groups or adding spaces.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:18:30

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:28:31 -0500, tony cooper

>>On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:17:10 -0500, tony cooper

>>>Yes, but Agent is configured by default to show the cross-post as
>>>"read" in all newsgroups when it is read in one newsgroup.  Once you
>>>read it in the first group, you will not see it listed in next groups.

>>>IOW - In other words.

>>Thanks.......   That makes sense.  Why read something more than once?  My
>>issue is that many times, a crosspost doesn't even show in ANY group.
>>Then, I'm sort of forced to make the same post in each group that might
>>give me a good response - any no one likes multiple posts (and I can see
>>why).

>If your cross-posting doesn't appear in any group, you are doing
>something wrong.  Possibly not putting a comma between the names of
>the groups or adding spaces.

I follow each group's name with a comma and a space.  I've also tried
just a comma (no space).  It seems that it's only a problem with the
Vista newsgroups - but, since I don't use many other groups, I can't be
sure.

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 04:57:37

>> >   Well, X-Posting should have nothing to do with the reader, and Agent
>> >should have no problem x-posting the same message to multiple groups.

>> >   The only problem or advance that

>> >1. Many News SERVERS (not Agent nor any reader) won't allow x-posting to
>> >more than 3-4 groups.

>> I already checked with my ISP and they have no restrictions.  Besides, I
>> only crosspost to no more than 3 groups.

>    Yours may be not BUT others do.

>> >2. Agent, it doesn't matter how many groups the message being x-posted to,
>> >you will only see ONE x-posting message on the FIRST group of your list.

Don't others see the posr in all the groups I posted to?

Quote:

>> >   IOW, with Agent you will only see ONE instead of 1000 x-posting messages.

>> What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
>> see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
>> wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
>> might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
>> thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

>    In Other Word.  And if you see ALL x-posts then

>1. You have your Agent set wrong

How should it be set?

Quote:

>2. You ain't doing real x-posting.  Or you probably post same message to
>multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

Maybe you're right.  What I do is address my post to more than one group
- separated by a comma and a space.  Isn't that crossposting?

Quote:

>> >   I have many Desktops and NoteBooks, but I have only installed Photoshop on
>> >single Desktop to have much experience with Notebook.  But my granddaughter
>> >(still in college) works for a company as Graphic Designer that they provide
>> >her many Adobe products including CSx.  I forget to mention she runs them on
>> >her Notebook, and a nephew of mine running CS3 on his notebook too.

>> >   My grand-daughter complaing her notebook is kinda slow, and it can only go
>> >up to 2GB of memory which I replaced (2) 512MB with (2) 1GB memory cards.

>> I would get a 64bit notebook with Windows 7 and USB3 (when it comes out
>> and is proven to work).

>    That would be a smart  choice!  and why not wait for USB4 or USB5 instead?

USB is already here.  Please don't be a 'wise guy.'  I get your
point!!!!!!

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by tony coope » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:56:23

>>> I already checked with my ISP and they have no restrictions.  Besides, I
>>> only crosspost to no more than 3 groups.

>>        Yours may be not BUT others do.

>Don't others see the posr in all the groups I posted to?

You don't know what newsgroups we read.  We may not read all of the
groups you are posting to.

Quote:

>>> What does IOW mean?  Also, when I crosspost with Agent (and it works), I
>>> see my post in all the groups I crossposted to.  I don't understand why I
>>> wouldn't.  Please explain.  Some people don't go to ALL the groups I
>>> might cross post to - that's the only reason I would crosspost.  So the
>>> thread I start SHOULD show in all the groups, no?

>>        In Other Word.  And if you see ALL x-posts then

>>1. You have your Agent set wrong

>How should it be set?

By default, you see any post - no matter how many cross-postings -
only once if you read it in the first group you read.

Someone else may first see, and read, your cross-posted message in a
different group, but whatever he does with his response (if he doesn't
change the headers) won't affect the message remaining in all groups
and his reply posting in all groups.

Quote:>>2. You ain't doing real x-posting.  Or you probably post same message to
>>multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

>Maybe you're right.  What I do is address my post to more than one group
>- separated by a comma and a space.  Isn't that crossposting?

Yes, but adding the space might make it not post in the second and
other newsgroups.  The correct format is:
newsgroup1,newsgroup2,newsgroup3.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by The Learne » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:17:57

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:56:23 -0500, tony cooper

>>>    Yours may be not BUT others do.

>>Don't others see the posr in all the groups I posted to?

>You don't know what newsgroups we read.  We may not read all of the
>groups you are posting to.

>>>    In Other Word.  And if you see ALL x-posts then

>>>1. You have your Agent set wrong

>>How should it be set?

>By default, you see any post - no matter how many cross-postings -
>only once if you read it in the first group you read.

>Someone else may first see, and read, your cross-posted message in a
>different group, but whatever he does with his response (if he doesn't
>change the headers) won't affect the message remaining in all groups
>and his reply posting in all groups.

This is the part I STILL don't understand.  Is there another way to
explain this?  I know I sound like a dummy (I'm not) but this one's got
me.  You mentioned 'by default.'  Is there a setting in Forte Agent to
change the default?  If I crosspost in another area of the Usenet, I can
see my post in all the groups I posted to.

Quote:

>>>2. You ain't doing real x-posting.  Or you probably post same message to
>>>multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

>>Maybe you're right.  What I do is address my post to more than one group
>>- separated by a comma and a space.  Isn't that crossposting?

>Yes, but adding the space might make it not post in the second and
>other newsgroups.  The correct format is:
>newsgroup1,newsgroup2,newsgroup3.

OK.

Laptop specs for using PS

Post by tony coope » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:55:46

Quote:>>>>1. You have your Agent set wrong

>>>How should it be set?

>>By default, you see any post - no matter how many cross-postings -
>>only once if you read it in the first group you read.

>>Someone else may first see, and read, your cross-posted message in a
>>different group, but whatever he does with his response (if he doesn't
>>change the headers) won't affect the message remaining in all groups
>>and his reply posting in all groups.

>This is the part I STILL don't understand.  Is there another way to
>explain this?

Not really.  You just have to think this through.  If there is a
specific part of the explanation you don't understand, then ask about
this.  If you can't understand the concept in general, I can't help
you.

Quote:>I know I sound like a dummy (I'm not) but this one's got
>me.  You mentioned 'by default.'  Is there a setting in Forte Agent to
>change the default?  If I crosspost in another area of the Usenet

There is no other "area" of Usenet.  There is just Usenet, and Usenet
is comprised of many, many discrete groups.
comp.graphics.app.photoshop (this newsgroup) is a group within Usenet.

Quote:>I can
>see my post in all the groups I posted to.

You can *see* your cross-posted messages in all groups only *before*
you open and read your message in any group.  Once you open and read
your message it is not shown to you in other groups but other people
can see your messages in any of the groups before they open and read
the message.

A "default" is something that is set by the originator of the software
that can be changed by the user.  If it can't be changed, the term
"default" doesn't apply.  "Default" simply means "It will be this way
unless you change it".

Forte has put out several versions of Agent over the years, so the
version of Agent that I have may not be the same version as you use.
In mine, the default setting for cross-posting is set by going to
Groups>Default Properties>Crossposts and changing the default
properties there.  (You can't be reading a message when you go to
Groups)

The best way to test this is to subscribe to two of the test groups
(ie:  alt.test ed.test) and crosspost a message to both groups and see
what happens with your settings.

Quote:>>>Maybe you're right.  What I do is address my post to more than one group

--

Post by The Learne » Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:59:06

><snip>

>> >   Yours may be not BUT others do.

>> Don't others see the posr in all the groups I posted to?

>    YES and NO depending on the reader they use.

Ahh, good point  I didn't think of that.

Quote:

>> >   In Other Word.  And if you see ALL x-posts then

>> >1. You have your Agent set wrong

>> How should it be set?

>    How do I know what you set at your end, and youe Agent is newer than mine.
>By default Agent will only see ONCE.  If you don't see any then I guess a
>kill-filter eats it, but it doesn't sound like you know how to use
>kill-filter.

You're right.  I'll have to learn.

Quote:

>> >2. You ain't doing real x-posting.  Or you probably post same message to
>> >multiple groups which is most SPAMs do.

>> Maybe you're right.  What I do is address my post to more than one group
>> - separated by a comma and a space.  Isn't that crossposting?

>> >   That would be a smart  choice!  and why not wait for USB4 or USB5 instead?

>> USB is already here.  Please don't be a 'wise guy.'  I get your
>> point!!!!!!

>    I know USB is already here, it it has been around for many years.  But
>USB3 is what I am talking about.

USB3 is what I'M talking about too..........   I will not wait for
USB4!!!

1. PS corruption on my laptop

I sometimes must work at a clients office so I have PS6 on my laptop, a W2k
machine.  Once while working on the laptop PS got corrupted somehow so that
while it would open an image and perform some functions, others, like
curves, would stop it cold.  The program wasn't crashed, exactly, because a
few buttons and shortcuts still responded but not most, including any to
exit.  A re-install returned it to normal.  But the other day it happened
again, and I'm wondering why.

It may have been because I had too many apps open and doing things at once,
but that's just a guess.  This has never happened on my main computer, also
W2k.  The laptop is a Dell PIII w/256MB.

Anyone had this problem, or can suggest a possible cause?  Adding my PS
disks to my traveling bag seems silly.

Thanks in advance!
Ernest Burden III

2. Centering page

3. using max on a laptop

4. Illustrator / problems offsetting path

5. Anyone using LW on a Laptop?

6. Problem with PowerStorm 4D60T graphics card and OpenGL application

7. Using Open GL on applications run on laptop

8. ULEAD Shows New Products In Florida, Georgia, California

9. Any High End Laptop Computer that uses OpenGL?

10. Cool 3d Problems Using AST Laptop