Scanning B&W (TMAX) with Minolta Dimage Scan Dual

Scanning B&W (TMAX) with Minolta Dimage Scan Dual

Post by Philippe Cocatri » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm encountering problems trying to scan B & W films (TMAX 400 in this case)
with a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual scanner.
Film size is 24*36mm (135)
Scan resolution is 1219 dpi

If I use the "B&W nega" setting on the scan software, the grain appears very
coarse. TMAX 400 is not supposed to be very grainy, and I did some
'chemical' prints of this negative in which the grain was not visible.
This is the top half in the attached sample image.

Now if I scan it as "Color Posi", and with an image processing software :
1) convert to gray scale
2) invert
the grain is much less visible (general contrast also), as shown in the
lower half of the sample image.

I've scanned many colour slides with this scanner and always been satisfied
with quality, scanning the TMAX was a real disappointment.
Any of you encountered the same problem or have any solutions ??

Many thanks by advance.
Philippe.

  TMY_test.jpg
< 1K Download

1. Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400

I have recently bought this scanner but find the colours of scans are not
realistic. e.g. leaves can be grey, a kiwi fruit is a lurid green, a
pineapple is a dirty brown.  Scans using the same negatives, and computer
set up have realistic colours. It has been back to the manufacturers for
repair but is no better.  Has anyone esle had this problem? Surely the
scanner is faulty
S Hammond

2. REQ: Filter for metallic effect

3. Minolta Dimage Scan Elite

4. Constructive Criticism Please

5. B&W G3/Minolta Scan Dual

6. RAM & Diamond Stealth Problems

7. Help please- PS5.5, Minolta Scan dual and Windows ME problem

8. Problems with Minolta Diamge Scan Dual

9. Minolta Dimage vs Nikon LS-20.

10. Minolta PS3000 scans

11. Minolta Dimage 7 Digital Camera