I failed Adobe's intelligence test

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:33:50

I just bought the Photoshop 6.0 upgrade.   The installation asked me for
the serial number, but I could find no serial number anywhere in the
package despite claims to the contrary in the registration booklet.
Finally I called Adobe and was informed that the serial number was the
original one.   I suspected that was the case and would have tried it
eventually, but I guess I was just being dumb.   But as it turns out,
Adobe does make provision for dopes like me.   The ReadMe that comes with
the product tells you to use the old serial number, but of course you
only get to see that after you have finished the installation.   Gotcha!

(I know I could have found the ReadMe on the CD and read it before
installing, had I thought it might tell me what I needed to know.)

To show how really stupid I am, I vaguely remember going through this
when I upgraded from 4.0 to 5.0.

I failed Adobe's intelligence test

Post by Michael S. Dodd » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:44:53

Yeah, it's funny how they are doing that now.
On the Pagemaker 7 update -
you need the old number and a new number.
I AM SURE it is going to make the applications more secure.
---
BE SURE - to go to Adobe and download the
Photoshop 6.0.1  fix  ( or you will be bummed sooner or later )
MSD

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:30:57

> Yeah, it's funny how they are doing that now. On the Pagemaker 7 update
> -
> you need the old number and a new number. I AM SURE it is going to make
> the applications more secure. ---
> BE SURE - to go to Adobe and download the Photoshop 6.0.1  fix  ( or you
> will be bummed sooner or later ) MSD

The upgrade disk I got claims to be 6.0.1.   Also, when it comes up, it
claims it is Version 6.0.1.   I hope it is safe to assume it really is
6.0.1.   The reason I ask is that when it came up it told me I should
upgrade to 6.0.1.

Also, it appears I can't manage to register it because I don't own it!
I first bought the educational version, which I'm pretty sure was really
mine.    But Adobe changed its policy and no longer allows the
educational discount for individual educators, so they've now decided
Northwestern University owns it.   Of course,  Northwestern never paid a
cent for it.

The more I get into this, the more I understand why I mainly work with
the Gimp.

Post by Chris Co » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:21:40

> > Yeah, it's funny how they are doing that now. On the Pagemaker 7 update
> > -
> > you need the old number and a new number. I AM SURE it is going to make
> > the applications more secure. ---
> > BE SURE - to go to Adobe and download the Photoshop 6.0.1  fix  ( or you
> > will be bummed sooner or later ) MSD

> The upgrade disk I got claims to be 6.0.1.   Also, when it comes up, it
> claims it is Version 6.0.1.   I hope it is safe to assume it really is
> 6.0.1.   The reason I ask is that when it came up it told me I should
> upgrade to 6.0.1.

That is a well documented problem with the Adobe Online software (can't
distinguish between minor version numbers).  It's on Adobe's support
pages, the user to user forums, and been mentioned in this newsgroup
several times.

Quote:> Also, it appears I can't manage to register it because I don't own it!
> I first bought the educational version, which I'm pretty sure was really
> mine.    But Adobe changed its policy and no longer allows the
> educational discount for individual educators, so they've now decided
> Northwestern University owns it.   Of course,  Northwestern never paid a
> cent for it.

That is not Adobe's policy.
I don't know how you or the customer support person got confused - but
I suggest you call them again.
If you registered your serial number, then it's registered to YOU.
If Northwestern registered your serial number, then someone made a
mistake, or you do not legally own the copy you have.

Chris

I failed Adobe's intelligence test

Post by Chris Co » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:23:18

Funny, since the papers with the upgrade pretty clearly state that you
use the serial number from your original copy -- as has been the case
with all Adobe product upgrades.

Your serial number is printed on the CD cover and/or inside the manual.
You don't have to do an installation to see it -- in fact, after
installing you CANNOT see the full serial number.

Chris

> I just bought the Photoshop 6.0 upgrade.   The installation asked me for
> the serial number, but I could find no serial number anywhere in the
> package despite claims to the contrary in the registration booklet.
> Finally I called Adobe and was informed that the serial number was the
> original one.   I suspected that was the case and would have tried it
> eventually, but I guess I was just being dumb.   But as it turns out,
> Adobe does make provision for dopes like me.   The ReadMe that comes with
> the product tells you to use the old serial number, but of course you
> only get to see that after you have finished the installation.   Gotcha!

> (I know I could have found the ReadMe on the CD and read it before
> installing, had I thought it might tell me what I needed to know.)

> To show how really stupid I am, I vaguely remember going through this
> when I upgraded from 4.0 to 5.0.

I failed Adobe's intelligence test

Post by Michael Pec » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:12:11

Quote:

>Your serial number is printed on the CD cover and/or inside the manual.
>You don't have to do an installation to see it -- in fact, after
>installing you CANNOT see the full serial number.

I've gotten every major, and most minor Photoshop version upgrades
since - I think - ver. 3.x. Needless to say the original documentation
is long gone, but I usually do remember to scribble the serial number
on the inside cover of each new version's user guide.

Last time around I dutifully entered my original serial number, the
installation program accepted it as authentic, but when it went online
to register the upgrade your server told me the serial number was
invalid. Just before booting me offline I was advised to call customer
service. Thanks anyway, but as long as the software loads I'm not
going to spend a morning on hold & then go through a lengthy
negotiation process with a customer service rep to prove I really own
a legal license just to figure out why your database doesn't like my
serial number. Is it possible Adobe has lost track of ancient serial
numbers? Isn't it just barely possible that there's a more efficient
way to authenticate users' right to use your software?

Mike Peck

_________________

Michael Peck

Wildlife photography page http://home.netcom.com/~mpeck1/index.html
Amateur telescope making http://home.netcom.com/~mpeck1/astro/astro.html

Post by Leonard Even » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 04:34:13

>> > Yeah, it's funny how they are doing that now. On the Pagemaker 7
>> > update -
>> > you need the old number and a new number. I AM SURE it is going to
>> > make the applications more secure. ---
>> > BE SURE - to go to Adobe and download the Photoshop 6.0.1  fix  ( or
>> > you will be bummed sooner or later ) MSD

>> The upgrade disk I got claims to be 6.0.1.   Also, when it comes up, it
>> claims it is Version 6.0.1.   I hope it is safe to assume it really is
>> 6.0.1.   The reason I ask is that when it came up it told me I should
>> upgrade to 6.0.1.

> That is a well documented problem with the Adobe Online software (can't
> distinguish between minor version numbers).  It's on Adobe's support
> pages, the user to user forums, and been mentioned in this newsgroup
> several times.

>> Also, it appears I can't manage to register it because I don't own it!
>> I first bought the educational version, which I'm pretty sure was
>> really mine.    But Adobe changed its policy and no longer allows the
>> educational discount for individual educators, so they've now decided
>> Northwestern University owns it.   Of course,  Northwestern never paid
>> a cent for it.

> That is not Adobe's policy.
> I don't know how you or the customer support person got confused - but I
> suggest you call them again.
> If you registered your serial number, then it's registered to YOU. If
> Northwestern registered your serial number, then someone made a mistake,
> or you do not legally own the copy you have.

Well, it is sometimes hard  communicating with these people on the phone.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember what I did way back in the
Cambrian Era when I first got Photoshop 4.0.   I went through a period
where I was reluctant to register anything on the grounds that I would
just get a lot of promotional mail, and the registration wouldn't do me
much good.   At a later date, I changed my mind and started to register
everything.   Also, in those days you had to send in a card by mail,
which made it easy to forget to do it.

But the customer service representative seemed to think my copy was owned
by Northwestern University, although I don't know if she had any basis
for that.   She directed me to some web page which would allow me to
transfer the ownership from NU to me, but I would have to get someone at
NU to agree to it.   I have no idea whom at NU I would ask to do that,
and probably NU won't be able to tell me.

I should note that if I purchased an educational copy of Photoshop today
through NU, it would have to be used only for education or research and
probably only on a machine owned by NU.  But there was no such
restriction when I originally bought it, with my own money, by the way!

So I've decided I should leave well enough alone.   I mostly use the Gimp
under Linux anyway, and that doesn't tie me up in all these ridiculous
rules.

Quote:

Post by Leonard Even » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 04:44:17

> Funny, since the papers with the upgrade pretty clearly state that you
> use the serial number from your original copy -- as has been the case
> with all Adobe product upgrades.

Which papers are those, please tell?   I looked through everything that
came in the box, and I didn't see anything like that.  As I mentioned, it
is in the ReadMe, but that is on the CD, and you don't normally see it
until the installation is complete.   But you need to know the serial
number to complete the installation!

Quote:

> Your serial number is printed on the CD cover and/or inside the manual.
> You don't have to do an installation to see it -- in fact, after
> installing you CANNOT see the full serial number.

It is somewhere on the original CD cover or inside the original 4.0
manual, although I also couldn't find it there.   It is certainly not on
the CD or in the manual for the upgrade.   It is on the CD cover for my
5.0 upgrade because I in fact put it there when I had the same problem
upgrading to 5.0 from 4.0.   It can be seen by using Help>About.
I don't know what you mean by the "full serial number".   The number
there is the only serial number I have.

Post by Chris Co » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:40:01

> > Funny, since the papers with the upgrade pretty clearly state that you
> > use the serial number from your original copy -- as has been the case
> > with all Adobe product upgrades.

> Which papers are those, please tell?   I looked through everything that
> came in the box, and I didn't see anything like that.  As I mentioned, it
> is in the ReadMe, but that is on the CD, and you don't normally see it
> until the installation is complete.   But you need to know the serial
> number to complete the installation!

It's on one of the instruction cards -- but it's been a while since I
had a full package in front of me, so I can't recall what else was on
there.

Quote:> > Your serial number is printed on the CD cover and/or inside the manual.
> > You don't have to do an installation to see it -- in fact, after
> > installing you CANNOT see the full serial number.

> It is somewhere on the original CD cover or inside the original 4.0
> manual, although I also couldn't find it there.   It is certainly not on
> the CD or in the manual for the upgrade.   It is on the CD cover for my
> 5.0 upgrade because I in fact put it there when I had the same problem
> upgrading to 5.0 from 4.0.

Of course it's no on the CD or manual for the upgrade -- it's an
upgrade, not a new license.

Quote:> It can be seen by using Help>About.
> I don't know what you mean by the "full serial number".   The number
> there is the only serial number I have.

That number is missing several digits -- it cannot be used to install
software.

Chris

Post by Dave Martinda » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:15:45

>Is it possible Adobe has lost track of ancient serial
>numbers? Isn't it just barely possible that there's a more efficient
>way to authenticate users' right to use your software?

The online registration system certainly doesn't seem to know about
serial numbers older than 5.0.  It was happy to accept and register my
serial number from the Windows 5.0 version of Photoshop (even though I'm
sure I already registered it years ago, when the web-based system wasn't
in existence).

But it couldn't deal with the serial number from my Mac photoshop,
which goes back to version 2.5.1.  I *know* that number was in Adobe's
old database, since I upgraded it twice through Adobe.

        Dave

I failed Adobe's intelligence test

Post by Chris Co » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:35:34

The online authentication has had a number of problems.
Sorry about that.

When I tested it, it did accept my 2.0 educational serial number.
Then a few weeks later it wouldn't accept the same number.

We're working on it (constantly).

Chris