PLEASE HELP ME -- Scratch Memory full -- PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE HELP ME -- Scratch Memory full -- PLEASE HELP!

Post by br!a » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

I have been using Photoshop for about a month now and one day when I
loaded up Photoshop  (and tried to create or open a new image) I got

Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is full.
We suggest you free up more space on your scratch drive before
continuing.

So then I press ok and, of coarse, it doesn't make the new image.  I
looked in the help area and if you didn't know scratch memory is RAM
and I have 16 MB.

Has anyone had this problem before or know how I can solve it?

Thanks --

Thanks!

Post by Lanny Chambe » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

> Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is full.
> We suggest you free up more space on your scratch drive before
> continuing.

> So then I press ok and, of coarse, it doesn't make the new image.  I
> looked in the help area and if you didn't know scratch memory is RAM
> and I have 16 MB.

Afraid not--the scratch disk is virtual memory. Photoshop stores your
image on your hard drive when it's too big to fit in memory (you'd need 3
to 5 times the image size in RAM to prevent this), and swaps it back and
forth in pieces to work on it. With only 16 MB of RAM, anything over a
very small image will hit the disk.

Even if you think you have plenty of free disk space, Photoshop can only
use unfragmented space for VM...have you defragged your HD lately?

Creative Services, St. Louis, USA
Visit the Hummingbird Page at:
<http://www.inlink.com/~creative/>

Post by Ralph Selb » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

>> Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is

full.
etc etc

If your photoshop has crashed you may find that it didn't get a chance
to clean up before it went down.  It will have left its scratch files as
'lost clusters'.  When that's happened to me I've run Scandisk (I'm
using a PC) to mark out the lost clusters as files which I can then
delete.  This has given me all my disc space back.

Hope it helps . .

Ralph Selby

Post by Gabriel Graubn » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

>> Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is full.
>> We suggest you free up more space on your scratch drive before
>> continuing.

>> So then I press ok and, of coarse, it doesn't make the new image.  I
>> looked in the help area and if you didn't know scratch memory is RAM
>> and I have 16 MB.

>Afraid not--the scratch disk is virtual memory. Photoshop stores your
>image on your hard drive when it's too big to fit in memory (you'd need 3
>to 5 times the image size in RAM to prevent this), and swaps it back and
>forth in pieces to work on it. With only 16 MB of RAM, anything over a
>very small image will hit the disk.

>Even if you think you have plenty of free disk space, Photoshop can only
>use unfragmented space for VM...have you defragged your HD lately?

I will add to this that I am using a partition on my hard drive
exclusively for Photoshop scratch. As I am working with base image sizes
up to 29MB, the partition size is 400MB. This works well as it gives
Photoshop a large, contiguous space in which to run its VM scheme and,
quite frankly, I am going to give Photoshop whatever it desires. Be
mindful that I am doing this on a Mac and am using FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit
to create my hard partitions; using anything other than Casablanca's Drive
7 or HDToolkit will not give you the hard partitions you need.

--
-Gabriel

Post by Terry Moo » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

BB> I have been using Photoshop for about a month now and one day when I
BB> loaded up Photoshop  (and tried to create or open a new image) I got

BB> Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is
BB> full. We suggest you free up more space on your scratch drive before
BB> continuing.

BB> So then I press ok and, of coarse, it doesn't make the new image.  I
BB> looked in the help area and if you didn't know scratch memory is RAM
BB> and I have 16 MB.

BB> Has anyone had this problem before or know how I can solve it?

First, 16Mb is whimpy for Photoshop. You need 8Mb or more just to get it
running, plus some for the OS, and then 3 to 5 times the size of the
image you are editing in free memory. This free memory can be RAM, or
disk (a scratch file on a hard disk). In Photoshop,
File/Preferences/Memory and make sure your primary and secondary scratch
disks are set properly. Then defregmant your disk(s). Then look to see
how much free space in on your disk(s). If your short on disk space, get
a bigger disk, a second disk, or remove some stuff from the disk and
defragment again. More RAM would be nice, and faster than disk.

Motorcycles Festoons Fish-Tacos Petroglyphs Jazz/Blues/Rock Chilles

 * RM 1.3 01881 *

PLEASE HELP ME -- Scratch Memory full -- PLEASE HELP!

Post by br!a » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

Ok, thanks!!  You got me up and working!

>> Can not create new document because your primary scratch disk is full.
>> We suggest you free up more space on your scratch drive before
>> continuing.

>> So then I press ok and, of coarse, it doesn't make the new image.  I
>> looked in the help area and if you didn't know scratch memory is RAM
>> and I have 16 MB.

>Afraid not--the scratch disk is virtual memory. Photoshop stores your
>image on your hard drive when it's too big to fit in memory (you'd need 3
>to 5 times the image size in RAM to prevent this), and swaps it back and
>forth in pieces to work on it. With only 16 MB of RAM, anything over a
>very small image will hit the disk.

>Even if you think you have plenty of free disk space, Photoshop can only
>use unfragmented space for VM...have you defragged your HD lately?

>Creative Services, St. Louis, USA
>Visit the Hummingbird Page at:
><http://www.inlink.com/~creative/>

1. PLEASE HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

HELP!!!!

All of the sudden when trying to use my Kais power tools and Aldus
Gallery Effects on even the SMALLEST image it saya that It has
insufficent memory(RAM) to perform the operation. This started
happening all of the sudden with NO system changes made by myself.
I am running Photoshop 3.0.4 with win 95 and the updates to ensure
compatibility with 16 bit plugins. My Alien Skin filters seem to work
as do the Standard Photoshop filters

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!

Thanks in advance
Lenny Terenzi

2. 3-d voronoi code?

3. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

4. ZED3D023 now pics are available in GIF and PCX format

5. HELP! Mixed-model Colormap setting PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

6. Help Please,,,,Please Help

7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. PLEASE NEED HELP WITH ALIEN BLACK BOX FILTER -- I BEG -- PLEASE PLEASE

9. Please,please,please help, with sugar on top

10. EnumEnhMetaFile Help Needed! (Please Please Please)

11. Looking For Help....Please - please-help.doc [1/1]