German version of PS 5

Post by Guido Kluets » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

I got the German version of PS 5 yesterday. The first thing I must say
is, that I didn't recognize even one bug in all the time I played with
it. The other side is that I think the new features aren't worth the
horrible price Adobe charges in Germany. They take 750 German Marks,
which are $ 420. But if you compare the purchasing power I guess it will
be $ 650 at least. I think that one gets many of useless stuff like the
layereffects and the editable type layers if one is in print media
business, like I am. The only things that sound good are the new
colormanagement features and to work with more spot colors.
That's my opinion on PS 5, related to the unreasonable high price.

--
Guido Kluetsch
Nussbaumerstrasse 250

German version of PS 5

Post by Claus Her » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> .... the unreasonable high price.

That's the reason why I upgraded to the US version for US$ 160 only!

Claus

German version of PS 5

Post by Anthon » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

The unreasonably high prices are European inventions, not American ones.  I
suppose that somebody must pay for all the managers in Europe when an
American vendor releases a version on that continent, whether they
contribute to the product or not.

--
Anthony

Quote:>I got the German version of PS 5 yesterday. The first thing I must say
>is, that I didn't recognize even one bug in all the time I played with
>it. The other side is that I think the new features aren't worth the
>horrible price Adobe charges in Germany. They take 750 German Marks,
>which are $ 420. But if you compare the purchasing power I guess it will
>be $ 650 at least. I think that one gets many of useless stuff like the
>layereffects and the editable type layers if one is in print media
>business, like I am. The only things that sound good are the new
>colormanagement features and to work with more spot colors.
>That's my opinion on PS 5, related to the unreasonable high price.

>--
>Guido Kluetsch
>Nussbaumerstrasse 250
>50825 Koeln
>02 21 55 89 50

German version of PS 5

Post by Hans Eberdi » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>The unreasonably high prices are European inventions, not American ones.  I
>suppose that somebody must pay for all the managers in Europe when an
>American vendor releases a version on that continent, whether they
>contribute to the product or not.

LOL

Believe the German manager have the same degree of freedom as the
district sales managers in the States.

German version of PS 5

Post by Marc Pawlig » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>Pricing has always been a matter that no one could understand. They say it is
>for the extra work in translating , but then Adobe was no good at it in the
>German versions. I'm not talking of typos in the menues, but above all about
>the terminology used (to crop is not "Freistellen", but "Beschneiden", and the
>"Beschneidungspfad" should read "Beschnittpfad" if ever, but rather
>"Freisteller" etc.) Sticking with the English version has one more advantage:
>the keyboard shortcuts are a lot more intuitive.

In versions prior to 5.0, translators were sometimes hampered by the fact
the translated text had to fit into areas of the UI (dialog boxes, labels,
etc) that were sized for English text.  Since many languages have words
that are usually longer (German) or taller (most PacRim languages use a
taller font) than the equivalent English, the translators would sometimes
have to use terms that fit in the allocated space, but maybe weren't the
best translation.

In 5.0 we have removed that limitation from almost the entire program (sole
exception is the Open and Save dialogs) so the translators are free to use
correct terms instead of ones that fit.  Translators were also free in 5.0
to use keybaord shortcuts that better fit the translated language.  I hope
you find the 5.0 translated versions better to your liking than previous
ones.

--marc

Marc Pawliger

German version of PS 5

Post by Guido Kluets » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> If you really are in printing and image processing, you'll find the "useless
> stuff" to be VERY comfortable once you got accustomed to it.

I believe that the new type features will be comfortable for web and
multimedia designers but designing with type for print media is still
more comfortable in XPress, Freehand etc and you will get a better
quality.
And after playing a little bit more with 5.0, I'm sure that I'll never
use these layereffects. These effects are too standardized and will make
everything unbearable slow if you work with a high resolution.

Quote:> Pricing has always been a matter that no one could understand. They say it is
> for the extra work in translating

If you compare what they charge in the US and what they charge here it
seems that can you earn more money with translating software than
developing.
--
Guido Kluetsch
Nussbaumerstrasse 250

1. German PS 4 Version

Problem with PS 4

We have a big problem with photoshop version 4 in german.
We work with windows NT 4 and on the most computers it
works fine.

We have two workstations on which PS 4 is not running:

configuration:

1.) K6, 200 Mhz, 356 MB Ram (4 x 64 MB)

2.) Dell 2 x 133 Mhz, 320 MB Ram (10 x 32 MB)

with this two configurations PS 4 is not running. Everytime we
run it, the Worstation crashes.

Is there someone else who knows from this Problems?

Is there a solution (No, theres is no german update on the adobe
homepage).

Tanks in advance

2. ViewKit and colormaps - questions

3. PS 4.0 tryout version and PS 3.0

4. BSP & Collision using bounding box.

5. Upgrade to 5.02, German Version

6. HELP WANTED: Contractor needed to convert forms to WMF

7. baltic fonts in a german 5.0 version

8. Rotating Images in Quark or P.shop =BITMAP

9. german version

10. German version