changing default JPEG image quality save?

changing default JPEG image quality save?

Post by ignat » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:34:28

i am using photoshop 4. when i modify a jpeg and do a resave, i am
presented with a dialog box with a dropdown list of low/medium/high/maximum
choices. the same box also shows a slider that can be dragged up to a 10
level.

usually, the default choice when that box pops open is "6" and "high"
quality. that's ok.

problem is that sometimes the default is maximum, at times it is low, at times
medium, etc.

is there a way that i can force the desired "6" and "high" choice to ALWAYS
be the default choice, while still allowing me to override if desired?

what causes photoshop to occasionally move toward the other settings?

Post by ignat » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:23:17

: | is there a way that i can force the desired "6" and "high" choice to
: ALWAYS
: | be the default choice, while still allowing me to override if desired?

: No. "JPG" is a compression type of "dispellation"
: of color information. Once an Image is compressed,
: that color info is >gone<.  Therefore you see those
: quality differences appearing at you for no appearent
: reason.

: If you set that quality higher for your current image
: you will see "jpeg artifacts" of ripples. you can only
: do it a little bit.  You could get ahold of a JPG plug-
: in or program that enhances them, or a digital camera
: photo enhancer, or use Photoshop's own capabilities.

alex:

thanks for the answer.

what is the practical implication of this?

that there is no point to arbitrarily forcing a higher save value than that
offered up as the default by photoshop--e.g. the image in fact will not be
of higher quality?

that to do so may or will create artifacts?

the existence of the choices implies that one differs from another. i have
not done any testing to see if i can tell differences, but i had assumed the
choices meant something in the real world??

changing default JPEG image quality save?

Post by AArDvar » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:19:27

If you are legal with Photoshop 4 you
should consider grabbing the upgrade
to version 7, it is well worth it in technical
capability alone, $150.00 here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000063EMX/ref=ilm_rc_371675/1...
947-2819350

with a $50.00 rebate and free shipping.
"I" should have done this!

Alex

1. Re-Saving a JPEG Image and Losing Quality

Can I re-save a JPEG image without losing it's quality again? For instance,
I have a digital camera which saves in JPEG format. When I work on a photo,
and try to save it, it appears that I must re-save it in JPEG form, choosing
to further incur lossiness in the picture. Will saving the photo as a .PSD
file stop this from happening until I'm ready to save the final version?

Thanks... not knowing this has always bugged me.

2. PCX format

3. Changing default save format...

4. Multitexturing

5. Changing the default save as type (Help Please)

6. TIFF File Format...

7. change default size of file open/save dialog?

8. Epson Stylus 500 and ColorSync--what's up?

9. How do I change default Save directory?

10. How to change default startup to an image in CS -vs- browser view

11. Changing Image Browser Default

12. Default image save as .psp, want .jpg!

13. PSD - default file type for saving images?