Controlling index numbers in grayscale mask images

Controlling index numbers in grayscale mask images

Post by Ron Burk » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I use Photoshop to prepare phots for other image enhancement software I
use.  One task is to create a separate grayscale mask file that controls
the operations applied to various areas of the original image.  The indexes
in the output file need to begin with 0 and go up to however many different
treatments are required.

What I do now is draw the mask using different values of gray.  Say I use
six values.  Then I use Adjust...Levels and change to output levels to 0 to
5.  The problem is that this doesn't work consistently, even if I space the
gray drawing colors equally.  Sometimes I get only four colors or even
three.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Specifically, I guess, I'd like to know how to draw with a particular index
color.  I used to have a program that would do that but it is no longer
supported and won't work with modern graphics adapters.

1. Controlling index values in grayscale mask images

I use Photoshop to prepare phots for other image enhancement software I
use.  One task is to create a separate grayscale mask file that controls
the operations applied to various areas of the original image.  The indexes
in the output file need to begin with 0 and go up to however many different
treatments are required.

What I do now is draw the mask using different values of gray.  Say I use
six values.  Then I use Adjust...Levels and change to output levels to 0 to
5.  The problem is that this doesn't work consistently, even if I space the
gray drawing colors equally.  Sometimes I get only four colors or even
three.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Specifically, I guess, I'd like to know how to draw with a particular index
color.  I used to have a program that would do that but it is no longer
supported and won't work with modern graphics adapters.

2. ANN: New Form Pack for Gliftic users

3. Changing a Palatte Index number in Image...

4. INI file with NT?

5. PI Grayscale Mask Tutorial

6. Plane equations & translations

7. Control instance image/picture control.

8. Newbie question: Create realistic rocks and stones with C4DGo

9. Control new image/picture control

10. Convert color image to grayscale image

11. How to convert a color image to a grayscale image

12. Ensuring an edit control contains numbers only