Curious: marble or water texture creation how to?

Post by Darkho » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello group

> I am quite new to Photoshop but have discovered that filters are the best
> thing since guache for making textures.  I have seen heaps of marble textures
> and quite a few water textures (looking down onto water surface) and they all
> look good but I would prefer to make my own.

> Problem is, how do I do this without getting another package as a plugin (KPT
> or the texture maker that someone else was talking about)?  I have no wish to
> spend any more money as I feel that Photoshop should have the capability to
> do them by itself (sure, it may be easier to get a plugin, but I'm on a
> budget here...)

Well........there are books out there, but they cost, too. I saw a
Photoshop Textures Magic book that had a step-by-step procedure for
making water.

Book was priced at $40, though, and it was on sale! Combination of
all-color illustrations and accompanying CDROM.

Yers,
John

Post by Doug Venato » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>cergee,
>I know this isn't the answer to your question regarding using Photoshop
>but if you get a chance take a look at the latest issue of CorelDraw.

Roger:

Is it my imagination or are you sorta pushing Corel over Adobe lately? If
so, I figure it's:

- that you like Corel better for many things, (and it's cheaper)
- that you like 'em both, but Adobe put your nose out of joint somehow
- my imagination (as stated above)
- none of my business ;>]

Just wondering,
Doug V.

"If everyone in the world was brilliant, I guess I'd just be average."

Curious: marble or water texture creation how to?

Post by Jim » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The latest issue of PEI magazine has a how-to with Photoshop on
exactly this subject.

Jim Kajpust - Personal Freedoms - Michigan
http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust

Post by Roger A. Moncrie » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >cergee,
> >I know this isn't the answer to your question regarding using Photoshop
> >but if you get a chance take a look at the latest issue of CorelDraw.

> Roger:

> Is it my imagination or are you sorta pushing Corel over Adobe lately? If
> so, I figure it's:

> - that you like Corel better for many things, (and it's cheaper)
> - that you like 'em both, but Adobe put your nose out of joint somehow
> - my imagination (as stated above)
> - none of my business ;>]

> Just wondering,
> Doug V.

> "If everyone in the world was brilliant, I guess I'd just be average."

Doug,
I don't own any stock in Corel or Adobe either for that matter. I use
products from both companies and in fact I use Photoshop a lot more than
I use Corel for anything. If you check the Corel newsgroups via dejanews
you will probably not find any posts from me in any of them, at least
not recently.

However, the CorelDraw package of applications is a terrific value for
the money. It does a huge number of things very easily that are
difficult if not impossible to do with Photoshop. I think recently
people have been asking questions about how to do stuff with Photoshop
that are either impossible or at least very hard to do but are very
simple and easy to do with CorelDraw. That may explain your observations
about my recent postings.

There have been a couple of software companies "get my nose out of
joint" over the past few years but Adobe isn't one of them. One you are
probably familiar with and the other you have likely never even heard
of. (Hint: threatening me with a lawsuit over a software review will do
it every time). I do think more people should recognize that Photoshop
isn't the end all be all software that a few people in this newsgroup
have deluded themselves into believing that it is.

I also think that CorelDraw and some other software such as WinImages
should be given more credit than they have received. For example, if you
have access to CorelDraw, go play around with the texture features which
is what this post was originally about. I can just about guarantee you
will never even think about using Photoshop for creating naturalistic
looking textures again even if you have Kai's Power Tools. I hope this
clarifies things for you.
--
Roger A. Moncrief
http://www.indrev.com

Indepth reviews of WinImages, trueSpace 3.1, Imagine for Windows, Ray
Dream Studio 4.1, Bryce 2, World Construction Set 2, Detailer, Goo,
Click & Create, CourseWorks 3.2 CBT, Desktop Support Factory, 3D Deck,
Kitchen & Bath, etc. on line now. Animated Communications' 3D
Choreographer in work. All pages enhanced with music by the Keyboard
Wizard.