ADVICE NEEDED w/scans on my pages

Post by Jacob » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Having a bear of a time and begging for some advice.

Please check out my pages and tell me why the apparent viewing
resolution of the gifs and jpegs I have uploaded and placed on the pages
is severely impaired compared to the same scans when saved to one's
harddisk (from netscape's "Save this image as... " command) and viewed
after downloading using "JPEG View" for instance.

I have resized the scans on the pages using "width = height ="  but it
seems the graphic format is somehow limited as they look good before
uploading they don't when viewed online.

Yahoo has me indexed, and it all looked great here on my mac with it's
built in thousands of colors...but a friend with a monitor limited to
256 colors noticed that the images look very rough.

Ok, I am totally at your mercies, please be gentle.

Eric

http://www.sover.net/~yisroel

ADVICE NEEDED w/scans on my pages

Post by Julie LeMon » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

<deleted>

Quote:>Yahoo has me indexed, and it all looked great here on my mac with it's
>built in thousands of colors...but a friend with a monitor limited to
>256 colors noticed that the images look very rough.

I checked it out with a 256 color Super VGA PC - they look fine.
If your friend is viewing your pages with a 256 color SYSTEM palette,
there really isn't a whole lot you can do.

You might try converting to index color, system palette, diffusion dither,
but that would reduce the quality of the images for ALL viewers, not just
the ones with 256 color machines.

JCL

1. Need advice/help with B&W scans -->Netscape

I have an HP 3C Scanner that does a fine job of color, B&W, etc...
Trouble is, my B&W glossy photos, which scan great to PC, look
horribly grainy in Netscape.

I've read (somewhere) about alternate dithering techniques or
something for Netscape, but I'm really having trouble with this.

Seems every setting I use for the original scan looks great until I
try to view it in Netscape.

Reductions are even worse.

I'm not a graphics designer, so I guess I'm out of my depth, here.

Can anyone advise me?

Email replies are OK.

Norman

2. WTB: Studio Lighting!!!!!!!!!!!

3. PS/Scanning advice needed

4. Here's Another Chapter

5. need advice for scanning/ printing poster art

6. Epson 700 & Win NT4

7. Scanning, printing from negatives advice needed!

8. Web site .....???

9. HELP - need advice on scanning resolution

10. Need advice on good scanning software

11. Help Needed: Graphics and scanning for WWW home page