Creating backlit displays/ Indicator lamps

Creating backlit displays/ Indicator lamps

Post by Jeff » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:35:51

Hi,

Not being a grpahics artist, I am trying to do something involving such a
undertaking.

I am looking to design a custom electronics display panel, similar to stereo
systems of the 70's and 80's that when a function is chosen, the option
lights up the test only, when it is not chosen, it appears blacked out.

This is also on Toyota Camry dashboards, when the transmission gear is
chosen, or cruise control enabled, the words (text only lights up)
otherwise, it's blacked out.

Is there a way with Photoshop to create such dispalys, where it's a black
background except when backlit, then only the text would be illuminated
(let's say a green color)

But again, when the light is off the green wouldn't show.

There's a company  http://www.statetool.com/snpilot.htm  that sells
indicator lamps that does hot message stamping onto it.

I would like to do this from my home, Possible?

Thanks,

jeff

Creating backlit displays/ Indicator lamps

Post by Rusty Wrigh » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:48:27

It might work if you were printing onto something clear, like an
overhead projector transparency sheet.  In photoshop you'd set it up
as white text over a black background; printers typically don't print
the white part since paper is already white so it would remain
transparent.  But I wonder if the printer would print the black part
dense enough to prevent any light showing through.

Post by Jeff » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 11:05:34

> It might work if you were printing onto something clear, like an
> overhead projector transparency sheet.  In photoshop you'd set it up
> as white text over a black background; printers typically don't print
> the white part since paper is already white so it would remain
> transparent.  But I wonder if the printer would print the black part
> dense enough to prevent any light showing through.

> > Not being a grpahics artist, I am trying to do something involving such
> > undertaking.

> > I am looking to design a custom electronics display panel, similar to
stereo
> > systems of the 70's and 80's that when a function is chosen, the option
> > lights up the test only, when it is not chosen, it appears blacked out.

> > This is also on Toyota Camry dashboards, when the transmission gear is
> > chosen, or cruise control enabled, the words (text only lights up)
> > otherwise, it's blacked out.

> > Is there a way with Photoshop to create such dispalys, where it's a
black
> > background except when backlit, then only the text would be illuminated
> > (let's say a green color)

> > But again, when the light is off the green wouldn't show.

> > There's a company  http://www.statetool.com/snpilot.htm  that sells
> > indicator lamps that does hot message stamping onto it.

> > I would like to do this from my home, Possible?

> > Thanks,

> > jeff

Hi,

My epson prints the blackest blacks, and does a good job of not allowing
light through, but If I wanted the text green i suppose it would do that,
I'm just trying to understand the process of keeping the text "black" until
illumination behind it is turned on revealing then any color I chose for the
text.

Jeff

Creating backlit displays/ Indicator lamps

Post by Taci » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:57:04

Quote:>My epson prints the blackest blacks, and does a good job of not allowing
>light through, but If I wanted the text green i suppose it would do that,
>I'm just trying to understand the process of keeping the text "black" until
>illumination behind it is turned on revealing then any color I chose for the
>text.

The way it works on backlit displays is simple:

The display is black. The text is green.

The display looks completely black when the light is off because the area
behind the display is dark. With the light on, the area behind the display is
illuminated and the light streams through the green area.

The secret isn't in the sheet that has the word on it. The secret is in the
fact that the area behind the word is completely dark.

--
"Quand la morale triomphe, il se passe des choses tres vilaines."
Literature. Art. Photography. Forums. Shareware. Kink. Sex.

Post by Jeff » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 14:43:38

Quote:> >My epson prints the blackest blacks, and does a good job of not allowing
> >light through, but If I wanted the text green i suppose it would do that,
> >I'm just trying to understand the process of keeping the text "black"
until
> >illumination behind it is turned on revealing then any color I chose for
the
> >text.

> The way it works on backlit displays is simple:

> The display is black. The text is green.

> The display looks completely black when the light is off because the area
> behind the display is dark. With the light on, the area behind the display
is
> illuminated and the light streams through the green area.

> The secret isn't in the sheet that has the word on it. The secret is in
the
> fact that the area behind the word is completely dark.

> --
> "Quand la morale triomphe, il se passe des choses tres vilaines."
> Literature. Art. Photography. Forums. Shareware. Kink. Sex.
> All at: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Thanks for the reply,

Some follow-up questions please.

I have in front of me (printed by my Epson Printer)  A 3" by 3"  black
display with right in the middle in Green   text which is in the form of two
words  Power Supply.

Now this is simply on a sheet of paper, but I intend to encapsulate it
within a panel and i understand what you are saying about how the secret is
what is behind the text being totally dark, but, how do you keep the Green
from being seen straight on, I  mean even on my Camry Dashboard,, with a
bright flashlight pointing staright at the not illuminated  "Cruise control"
indicator, I have to really strain to see the green in it, it just seems
totally black until the indicator lamp turns on.

Thanks in advance,

jeff

Creating backlit displays/ Indicator lamps

Post by Taci » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 06:24:07

Quote:>Now this is simply on a sheet of paper, but I intend to encapsulate it
>within a panel and i understand what you are saying about how the secret is
>what is behind the text being totally dark, but, how do you keep the Green
>from being seen straight on, I  mean even on my Camry Dashboard,, with a
>bright flashlight pointing staright at the not illuminated  "Cruise control"
>indicator, I have to really strain to see the green in it, it just seems
>totally black until the indicator lamp turns on.

I don't think you can get the effect with a sheet of paper.

The effect in an indicator lamp is made by using a smoked or dark sheet of
plastic, with another sheet of plastic behind it that has either the letters
cut out of it or a different colored plastic insert in it. From the front, you
don't see the word because it's entirely covered by a sheet of dark plastic.
You can see the word if you remove it from the dashboard--with light behind it,
the light comes through the plastic--but you can't see it if the area behind it
is dark, because the front surface of the light is all the same color.

I don't know if you will be able to get the effect you want from an inkjet
printer.

--

Post by Jeff » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 07:44:30

Quote:> >Now this is simply on a sheet of paper, but I intend to encapsulate it
> >within a panel and i understand what you are saying about how the secret
is
> >what is behind the text being totally dark, but, how do you keep the
Green
> >from being seen straight on, I  mean even on my Camry Dashboard,, with a
> >bright flashlight pointing staright at the not illuminated  "Cruise
control"
> >indicator, I have to really strain to see the green in it, it just seems
> >totally black until the indicator lamp turns on.

> I don't think you can get the effect with a sheet of paper.

> The effect in an indicator lamp is made by using a smoked or dark sheet of
> plastic, with another sheet of plastic behind it that has either the
letters
> cut out of it or a different colored plastic insert in it. From the front,
you
> don't see the word because it's entirely covered by a sheet of dark
plastic.
> You can see the word if you remove it from the dashboard--with light
behind it,
> the light comes through the plastic--but you can't see it if the area
behind it
> is dark, because the front surface of the light is all the same color.

> I don't know if you will be able to get the effect you want from an inkjet
> printer.

> --
> "Quand la morale triomphe, il se passe des choses tres vilaines."
> Literature. Art. Photography. Forums. Shareware. Kink. Sex.
> All at: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Thanks for explaining  the process.
Nessity is the mother of invention and perhaps somethimng can be jury rigged
or improvised, but at least i understand the process.

But what is the name of this process you so expertly described?

Jeff

Post by Tom Nelso » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 07:57:23

> I have in front of me (printed by my Epson Printer)  A 3" by 3"  black
> display with right in the middle in Green   text which is in the form of two
> words  Power Supply.

> Now this is simply on a sheet of paper, but I intend to encapsulate it
> within a panel and i understand what you are saying about how the secret is
> what is behind the text being totally dark

You should print on transparency film made especially for inkjet
printers. Any large computer or office supply store should have it.

I have to tell you that this whole process can be done easier and
higher quality using photographic processes. Photographing your artwork
onto graphic arts film (Kodalith or the like) gives clear letters on a
pure black background. Mount it behind a thin piece of translucent
green plastic and it will look black/dark green when not illuminated
and green-on-black when lit.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

Post by Jeff » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 08:40:07

> > I have in front of me (printed by my Epson Printer)  A 3" by 3"  black
> > display with right in the middle in Green   text which is in the form of
two
> > words  Power Supply.

> > Now this is simply on a sheet of paper, but I intend to encapsulate it
> > within a panel and i understand what you are saying about how the secret
is
> > what is behind the text being totally dark

> You should print on transparency film made especially for inkjet
> printers. Any large computer or office supply store should have it.

> I have to tell you that this whole process can be done easier and
> higher quality using photographic processes. Photographing your artwork
> onto graphic arts film (Kodalith or the like) gives clear letters on a
> pure black background. Mount it behind a thin piece of translucent
> green plastic and it will look black/dark green when not illuminated
> and green-on-black when lit.

> Tom Nelson
> Tom Nelson Photography

Tom ,

thanks for the helphul hints.

I guess even the best home PC has its limitations

jeff

1. SIGGRAPH 2005 - NEC Display Solutions Debuts LED-Backlit LCD

From SIGGRAPH 2005 report by Computer Graphics World:

NEC Display Solutions Debuts LED-Backlit LCD
NEC Display Solutions, a stand-alone vendor of flat panel desktop displays,
has announced the delivery of the NEC SpectraView LCD2180WG monitor.
Reportedly the first desktop display in the market to feature a light
emitting diode (LED) backlight, the new professional-grade monitor is
designed to deliver unprecedented levels of image detail and color scale to
demanding users in such fields as digital animation, graphic design, and
film, video, and photo editing and production. The backlight technology
produces more detail and greater nuances on digital images than virtually
any fluorescent lamp-based (CCFL) LCD or phosphor-based CRT on the market
today. And NEC's advanced super-fine TFT technology combines with the LED
backlight system to achieve an ultra-wide color gamut, as well as to reduce
color/contrast shift problems associated with changing viewing angles.
Other features include 10-bit internal programmable Look Up Tables (LUTs),
dual DVI inputs, and a maximum resolution of 3200x1200 dpi, enabling HDTV
editing at 1920x1080 dpi resolution. http://www.nec.com

I wonder if it's actually any "better" ... and how much it costs?

2. New free texture maps

3. Strange results with display profile created with Eye One Display

4. ShawGuides Guide to Computer Experts

5. creating a display list/loading a texture after 1st display in gl4java

6. Gaphics Format Specifications.

7. White transperant backlit rubber in povray?

8. Can handheld scanners scan BACKLIT images?

9. How do I lighten a backlit subject?

10. backlit shadows

11. Asterisk with CMYK indicator