Transparent jpg's

Post by kuh.. » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Help!.. I want to put a picture of a red and blue plane over a white
brick wall and be able to see the wall through the plane while seeing
the plane in color.  I am stummped.  I cannot figure out how to do it.
Can someone walk me through it.
I am using Photoshop 3.0.5. The pics I am using are jpg and gif
one of each.  does that have something to do with it?  This is driving
me crazy and the help file is not much help

Thanks in advance
gary

Transparent jpg's

Post by Andrew C. Lottma » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

You won't be able to do it using separate files. If this is for an html
page and you are using the brick wall as your background gif, you can only
make the areas around the plane transparent using a blue screen type of
method. It is not built to make the plane transparent. The only way to do
that is as follows. This applies for non-html as well.

You should first convert both your images to RGB (if this is for print, you
want to use CMYK; screen should be RGB(Mode->RGB or CMYK)). Create a new
layer in the image of your brick image (Window->Palettes->Show Layers, then
click on the arrow at the upper right of the window and drag to new layer
or just click the image of the page on the bottom of the window). Cut out
the image of the plane (using the pen tool to be more precise, but lasso
will work as well) and paste it into a new layer of your brick texture.
Assuming you have the plane layer selected, you can adjust the transparency
slider and reach your desired effect.

If this is for html, save the file as a GIF (you'll lose some color) or
JPEG (you'll lose some image quality). For print, TIFF or EPS will do the
trick. When you do this it will ask you if you want to flatten the layers.
You'll have to say OK, so you should save a layered version (Photoshop 3.0)
so you can edit your image later. If this is for html and you're using the
brick as a background GIF, you'll just have to line the image up with the
background, which, I'm sure, is difficult. If this is too difficult and you
don't mind having the plane non-transparent, you can make the non-plane
portion of your image transparent using the GIF89 plugin, and there are too
many other threads about that so I won't get into that here.

If I've explained things that are obvious, please excuse me. It's better to
explain it all at once than to have to do it in several stages. Hope this
answers your question. Good luck. Write me if you have any questions...

> Help!.. I want to put a picture of a red and blue plane over a white
> brick wall and be able to see the wall through the plane while seeing
> the plane in color.  I am stummped.  I cannot figure out how to do it.
> Can someone walk me through it.
> I am using Photoshop 3.0.5. The pics I am using are jpg and gif
> one of each.  does that have something to do with it?  This is driving
> me crazy and the help file is not much help

> Thanks in advance
> gary

Andy

Transparent jpg's

Post by Terry D. Moor » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Help!.. I want to put a picture of a red and blue plane over a white
> brick wall and be able to see the wall through the plane while seeing
> the plane in color.  I am stummped.  I cannot figure out how to do it.
> Can someone walk me through it.
> I am using Photoshop 3.0.5. The pics I am using are jpg and gif
> one of each.  does that have something to do with it?  This is driving
> me crazy and the help file is not much help

Well, the first thing you need to do is to use a file format that will
support clipping paths or transparency. There is no format commonly
supported by browsers that supports clipping paths, so clipping paths are
out. So, now you need to look at transparency. JPG doesn't support it, so
it's out. GIF does, and is supported by browsers, so it's in.

Now, go to www.adobe.com and get the GIF89A export filter and use it
according to the directions. (or use LView Pro, or ULead's plug-in, or
Paint Shop Pro, or.....of hell, just do a web search for "transparent gif"
or read that hundreds of postings in this newsgroup on the subject)

--
Terry D. Moore

Motorcycles Festoons Fish-Tacos Petroglyphs Jazz/Blues/Rock Chilles
Bottom Left Coast, USA

1. Transparent JPG's

I have been trying to figure out how to create a transparent background
in photoshop, saved in JPG format.  This is namely for placing graphics
over web pages with backgrounds.  I know how to use the GIF exporter for
this, but GIF's take too long to load.  Do I need a Plugin for this?
If anyone can help me, please send me an email.  Much appreciated.

2. Degree wanted

3. Transparent GIF's/JPG's

4. upgrade cost?

5. reading and displaying jpg's and gif's in vc++

6. Research ZBuffer Software

7. VC++ methods for reading and displaying gif's and jpg's

8. Question

9. Making a Gif 'transparent'?

10. Alert Quick Time TAKING over GIF's and JPG's

11. c++ classes to read and display jpg's and gif's

12. transparent 'guide' layer

13. Use GIF's or JPG's?