povray: html-image-maps?

Post by hubert depesz lubaczewsk » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:41:47

hi
is there any way to automatically create html-image-maps based on scene
description and rendering information?

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski                          http://www.depesz.pl/
... vows are spoken to be broken ...                 [enjoy the silence]

povray: html-image-maps?

Post by Mike William » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:06:09

Quote:>hi
>is there any way to automatically create html-image-maps based on scene
>description and rendering information?

If your html image mapper is restricted to rectangles, then you could
extract the bounding box information from the scene (requires MegaPOV or
POVRay 3.5) for the objects you want to be clickable, and use the file-
io operators to write that information to a file in the format that your
mapper expects.

Alternatively, you could trace() (requires MegaPOV or POVRay 3.5) an
array of rays from the camera position into the scene and see which of
them first hit one of the objects that you want to be clickable, and
then attempt to calculate the outlines.

The amount of work involved in setting that up would probably be quite
excessive compared to extracting the information from the rendered
image.

Perhaps an intermediate method might be considered. Set the texture for
clickable object number 1 to be pure white, and everything else to pure
black. Render the image and capture the outline of the white bits using
some external program. Repeat for each clickable object.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

povray: html-image-maps?

Post by M1211att Gi148we » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:07:07

>is there any way to automatically create html-image-maps based on scene
>description and rendering information?

        Other way around, yes. You have a desired image map, put your images
in those parts of the maps. The other way around looks like some form of
post processing to automate it. However both Photoshop and Gimp (and likely
all others) can identify the active areas you want any you can manually
enter those areas in a clientside map.

--
I hate being the first to break the news but Tel Aviv
is a Palestinian city in Israel.