Mac 3D software - is anything as good as the PC?

Post by nkshivan*NOSPA » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I've recently had the opportunity to work with 3D Studio Max running
> under Windows NT.  Simply put, it blows away every Mac 3D package I've
> ever seen.  Blindingly fast, easy to use, robust, and very very
> powerful.  This program was ported from the SGI to Windows NT and 95,
> and it has all the features and control I've ever wanted and then some.

Max is not on SGI.  Sure your not thinking of Softimage?

Post by Eliya Selhu » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I've recently had the opportunity to work with 3D Studio Max running
under Windows NT.  Simply put, it blows away every Mac 3D package I've
ever seen.  Blindingly fast, easy to use, robust, and very very
powerful.  This program was ported from the SGI to Windows NT and 95,
and it has all the features and control I've ever wanted and then some.

On the Mac side, I've seen Ray Dream Studio, Extreme 3D, Infini-D,
Strata Studio Pro, Form-Z, and even Electric Image, but nothing even
comes close to 3DS Max, especially with plug-ins like Clay Studio Pro
and Character Studio.  Still, I've been loyal to the Macintosh since my
dad brought one home in 1986.

My question: is there any serious, professional-quality 3D package
available for the Macintosh?

Eliya Selhub

Post by Michael M. Eile » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I've recently had the opportunity to work with 3D Studio Max running
> under Windows NT.  Simply put, it blows away every Mac 3D package I've
> ever seen.  Blindingly fast, easy to use, robust, and very very
> powerful.  This program was ported from the SGI to Windows NT and 95,
> and it has all the features and control I've ever wanted and then some.

> On the Mac side, I've seen Ray Dream Studio, Extreme 3D, Infini-D,
> Strata Studio Pro, Form-Z, and even Electric Image, but nothing even
> comes close to 3DS Max, especially with plug-ins like Clay Studio Pro
> and Character Studio.  Still, I've been loyal to the Macintosh since my
> dad brought one home in 1986.

> My question: is there any serious, professional-quality 3D package
> available for the Macintosh?

You are joking, right? ElectricImage is the industry standard across the
board for broadcast video, and with the new modeler, it will be amazing.
But what you need to realize is that good 3D is in the artist, not in the
tools: I've seen better animations created with POV (a freeware, scripted
renderer) than with 3DSM coming out of the multimedia workshops at my
former school...

michael

--

"I will never again look at an Apple design and not think, 'Power [Computing] would have had this 4 months ago for $1,000 less.'"
--Steve Fuchs, programmer, Apple user since 1986

"Are the gods imaginary companions to console you for the possbility of dying?"
         --Greg Bear, _Eternity_

Michael M. Eilers * Fearful Symmetry Designs * PowerCenter Pro 240 user

Mac 3D software - is anything as good as the PC?

Post by barcl » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

sure, eliya
I'm trying to cut my teeth on lightwave 5.0 for the mac, right now.
(it's not easy, damn foriegn amiga-like interface)
but it is one of the industry bigwigs,
and it is very powerful (for those who can use it)
5.5 is due out any time, now...
and it's very cross platform (hurray to Newtek!) NT, Mac, and SGI.

but really it's all a matter of what you're comfortable with.
it's not so much what the program can do, or offer,
but what you can get it to do.

i've seen people building serious complex models in KPT bryce2 that blow away
what some of my "professional" friends are doing in 3DSr4, and max.

it's all about finding a tool that fits your thought, and then going with
it. pushing yourself to come up with creative solutions for your complex
tasks.

personally, i've been using strata for a little while now.
the new 2.1 is much better and more complete than 2.0(gulp), or blitz.
it's ok.

and if you really dig that 3ds max interface,
infini-d 4.0 has directly copied it.
(what's going on there? metacreations?)

best of luck to you.
b.loftus

Quote:>This program was ported from the SGI to Windows NT and 95,

are you sure about this?
i thought it was an NT (limited 95) only deal.
based around autodesk's DOS 3D Studio.
I don't think it was ever on SGI,
but what the hell do i know?
Quote:> I've recently had the opportunity to work with 3D Studio Max running

Post by Dro » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > I've recently had the opportunity to work with 3D Studio Max running
> > under Windows NT.  Simply put, it blows away every Mac 3D package I've
> > ever seen.  Blindingly fast, easy to use, robust, and very very
> > powerful.  This program was ported from the SGI to Windows NT and 95,
> > and it has all the features and control I've ever wanted and then some.

> > On the Mac side, I've seen Ray Dream Studio, Extreme 3D, Infini-D,
> > Strata Studio Pro, Form-Z, and even Electric Image, but nothing even
> > comes close to 3DS Max, especially with plug-ins like Clay Studio Pro
> > and Character Studio.  Still, I've been loyal to the Macintosh since my
> > dad brought one home in 1986.

> > My question: is there any serious, professional-quality 3D package
> > available for the Macintosh?

> > Eliya Selhub

I'm sure 3DS Max is great, but let's compare price tags. I don't know
exactly what the going rate is for the program, but last I checked, it was
around $3,000. Plus, to get full functionality out of the program, you need
to buy $500 plug-ins. It really adds up. As far as serious,
professional-quality 3D packages go for Mac: Lightwave, Electric Image, and
Form-Z. I use Lightwave myself - best all-around package for the price.

--
Droo

1. What is best Mac 3D software?

I'm looking for 3D software that will allow me to create realistic 3D
objects such as automobiles, aircraft, etc.  Animation is not important,
but realistic detail is.

What is the best Mac 3D software for this purpose (under $1000)?  Is their
a Mac equivalent to the PC world's 3D Studio?

Thanks for any advice.

ges

2. Response to ROADIE PAR inquiry

3. best 3d mac software

4. Who know the OFF(Object File Format)?

5. pc 2 mac 2 pc 2 mac

6. Visible Drag and Drop?

7. Lots of 3D software in the Mac Software section

8. mac to pc and pc to mac

9. Hi, I am doing a paper on 3D-boards, and I am looking for definitions

10. MAC TO PC DISK SOFTWARE

11. HELP: MAC to PC Graphics Conversion Software (windows)