Picture format -> ASCII

Post by Master Fran » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am a PhD student at the Technical University of Berlin.

We would like to track the deformation of a cylinder in a hydraulic
press.
The pictures then need to be analyzed in a manner giving the shape of
the bulge as a function of height.

So I am searching for a program that takes a picture format as an input
and either
- yields a table listing brightness for each picture pixel ( cylinder
will be
  illuminated with laser light from the other side of the specimen;
after-
  wards I could use another program to find a curve fit for the bulge
width
  as a function of height)
or
- is able to independently give the form of the bulge as a mathematical
  function ( perhaps after some 'training' ? )

Thanks a million,

Frank

This mail is coming to you from :

Master Frank
aka
The Phantom of UH

Master of Science in Materials Engineering,
University of Houston ( UH ), Houston, TX,
USA

Diplom - Ingenieur in Werkstoffwissenschaften
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken,
Germany

present address :

Frank Richter
Technical University of Berlin
Department of Nonmetallic-Inorganic Materials
Glass Materials
Sekretariat ES 4
Englische Strasse 20
10587 Berlin
Germany

Work :
Phone : (49)-(0)30-314-22653(Office) or 314-26579(Lab)
Fax   : (49)-(0)30-314-21100

Picture format -> ASCII

Post by Steve Kol » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi Frank,

You must definitely check out Matlab 5.3 (www.mathworks.com).  Matlab is a
math program that is also capable of image processing (even has an image
processing toolbox, but not standard).  I'm using it for automated analysis
of fluorescence images.  Because Matlab only works with matrices, an image
is always presented in its 'numerical' form and you need a display function
to convert these numbers in an 'visual' image.
Matlab can do curve fitting as well.

Good luck,

Steve Koll
Faculty of Agriculture and Applied Biological Sciences
Lab of Biochemistry and Molecular Cytology
University of Ghent
Belgium

Picture format -> ASCII

Post by Nutan Sampa » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello!
Perhaps the software CANTATA of company Khoros could be helpful.
Greetings
Nutan

> Hi,

> I am a PhD student at the Technical University of Berlin.

> We would like to track the deformation of a cylinder in a hydraulic
> press.
> The pictures then need to be analyzed in a manner giving the shape of
> the bulge as a function of height.

> So I am searching for a program that takes a picture format as an input
> and either
> - yields a table listing brightness for each picture pixel ( cylinder
> will be
>   illuminated with laser light from the other side of the specimen;
> after-
>   wards I could use another program to find a curve fit for the bulge
> width
>   as a function of height)
> or
> - is able to independently give the form of the bulge as a mathematical
>   function ( perhaps after some 'training' ? )

> Thanks a million,

> Frank

> This mail is coming to you from :

> Master Frank
> aka
> The Phantom of UH

> Master of Science in Materials Engineering,
> University of Houston ( UH ), Houston, TX,
> USA

> Diplom - Ingenieur in Werkstoffwissenschaften
> Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken,
> Germany

> present address :

> Frank Richter
> Technical University of Berlin
> Department of Nonmetallic-Inorganic Materials
> Glass Materials
> Sekretariat ES 4
> Englische Strasse 20
> 10587 Berlin
> Germany

> Work :
> Phone : (49)-(0)30-314-22653(Office) or 314-26579(Lab)
> Fax   : (49)-(0)30-314-21100

Picture format -> ASCII

Post by Jeffrey J Weime » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hello!
>Perhaps the software CANTATA of company Khoros could be helpful.

>> So I am searching for a program that takes a picture format as an input

Sorry, I've missed the origination of the thread ...

Take a look at Igor Pro (http://www.wavemetrics.com/). It will do what you
want and much more.

--
Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
Materials Science Building 125, South Loop Road

Picture format -> ASCII

Post by Miguelit » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Wouldn't a bmp image format give you the necessary information? You'd
have to read a given number of bytes per pixel which would give you the
brightness info for each pixel.

Mig

--
Miguel Barrio                           "Don't be led astray
miguelito(AT)pobox.com                   into the paths of virtue."

1. Picture format -> ASCII

[...]

This posting is coming to you from :

Master Frank
aka
The Phantom of UH

Master of Science in Materials Engineering,
University of Houston ( UH ), Houston, TX,
USA

Diplom - Ingenieur in Werkstoffwissenschaften
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken,
Germany

present address :

Frank Richter
Technical University of Berlin
Department of Nonmetallic-Inorganic Materials
Glass Materials
Sekretariat ES 4
Englische Strasse 20
10587 Berlin
Germany

Work :
Phone : (49)-(0)30-314-22653(Office) or 314-26579(Lab)
Fax   : (49)-(0)30-314-21100

2. Advice re printers

3. : ASCII gridded-format file -> iv format file

4. Request for information to obtain software listed in comp.graphics FAQ file

5. TIFF format (actually TIFF -> ASCII)

6. Adobe-compatible import filter specification/format

7. ASCII <-> binary conversion of pnm format

8. changing color of windows controls

9. format converting (HPGL/PS) > CGM ASCII

10. Converting 3D Studio File Formats to ASCII formats

11. pictures >>> fixed

12. Wanted: ascii dragon pictures

13. need a converter from picture to ASCII