Epson Stylus COlor vs Stylus Pro

Post by v.. » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone comment about the difference between the epson stylus color and
the stylus pro? I have the stylus color and wonder if the stylus pro gets
you better output....they say you don't need coated paper for the stylus
pro for 720x720 dpi output? Has anyone seen the differences in output?
Epson says tha the "screen frequency" for the stylus is 85 lpi; this
basically means to me that scanning over170 dpi is a waste of memory? Any
comments on the quality of other mid-range ink jet printers?

Post by Mike Russe » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Can anyone comment about the difference between the epson stylus color and
>the stylus pro?

The pro prints in four colors, the color II prints in 3.  The first color
stylus's
also printed in four colors, so you may have one of those.  The pro also
has a postscript option, and the option to hook into a LocalTalk network.

 I have the stylus color and wonder if the stylus pro gets

Quote:>you better output....they say you don't need coated paper for the stylus
>pro for 720x720 dpi output? Has anyone seen the differences in output?

I have a sample from the original stylus II that is very good, but several
notches below photographic quality, and a sample from the newer stylus.
Unfortunately, not as much care was put into this second sample, and
original picture was rather poor quality, but my impression from this
one sample is that black saturation is less, as you would expect, and alignment
of alternate passes was not as good as on the older model Stylus.

Quote:>Epson says tha the "screen frequency" for the stylus is 85 lpi; this
>basically means to me that scanning over170 dpi is a waste of memory?

Yes.  It may still be interesting to play with your own screen frequencies,
or do things with dithering, and dot gain, printer response curves, and
the like.
I also wonder if you could get better blacks via a separate pass with a black
cartridge.

Quote:>Any comments on the quality of other mid-range ink jet printers?

My experience here is rather slim, but Epson is certainly one of the cheaper
printers out there with reasonable quality, and supplies should be
available and reasonably priced for some time to come.  If your main
concern is quality, and being able to pass your prints off as "real" photos,
check out the dye sub printers.  The are coming in under $1000, but it
is not unusual for service bureaus to be able to do a nice 8x10 dye sub
for $10.

--
http:/www.aggroup.com/mgr/

Epson Stylus COlor vs Stylus Pro

Post by Bo Atkins » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've had a stylus pro for a couple months. The
special coated papers purportedly have drying agents
which indeed improve clarity, and keep ink on print
side instead of migrating through paper, (or
sideways?).  I used a generic brand recycled,
coated paper.  I would demand whiter coatings.

For fun I tried 3M's CG3410 ink jet transperancy
film, (intended for projectors). Placing a shiny white
paper on the printed side and fliping over yeilds a
laser like glaze to your work, but this film has a
slight tint. Spraying fixative or urethane on print
side also "lazes" finnish.

Bo A.

Epson Stylus COlor vs Stylus Pro

Post by Ken Peters » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> - >Can anyone comment about the difference between the epson stylus color and
> - >the stylus pro?

The Pro also puts down much smaller, better-controlled dots than the
Color. Its 720dpi printing is absolutely spectacular on coated paper, and
even half-decent on good plain paper, like H-P's new brilliant white
inkjet paper.

Ken Peterson
-----------------------

"Any nitwit can understand computers. Many do"

Post by Jie Yu » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Can anyone comment about the difference between the epson stylus color and
>>the stylus pro?
>The pro prints in four colors, the color II prints in 3.  The first color
>stylus's
>also printed in four colors, so you may have one of those.  The pro also
>has a postscript option, and the option to hook into a LocalTalk network.

Mike is off the mark.  The original question never mentioned ESC-II.  It
was talking about ESC-1.  You are also wrong about colors.  The II does
true CNYK.  It is the IIs that does CMY.  Mac users don't have to worry
about the IIs because it has only a parallel port for PeeCees.

Jie
-- Jie Yuan, PhD - U. Cincinnati - Pharmacology & C.B. --
== POBox 670575, Cin., OH 45267-0575  =  513-558-2352  ==

1. Epson Stylus Color vs. Pro Color

Apologies if this topic has been raised and answered before, but...

Is the Epson Stylus PRO color ink-jet printer really worth $200 more than
the regular Epson Stylus Color II?

Does it have better paper handling? The only difference I see in this
catalog is a slightly larger input buffer.

2. Fresnel-based shader

3. FS: Epson Stylus Pro XL (13x19 720dpi color), Supplies

4. my last head

5. Optimized 3D-FileFormat, D3D vs. OGL

6. Zenographics and Epson Stylus Color Pro

7. HP 690c or Epson color stylus pro???

8. anyone tried epson stylus color pro xl ????

9. FS: Epson Stylus Pro XL (13x19 720dpi color), Supplies