New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by White Knigh » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be accused
of M$ bashing, but...

If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
should know about this new MS policy.

Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is customer
response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

Pt 1 - The policy:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will affect
all Windows users in the future.

Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by White Knigh » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
accused
> of M$ bashing, but...

> If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
> should know about this new MS policy.

> Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
customer
> response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> Pt 1 - The policy:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

> Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

> Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will affect
> all Windows users in the future.

> Rob

P.S.  Can we convince JASC to port PSP & AS to Linux?  I am just about set
to make the change after hearing this ridiculousness...

Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Silverblad » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

microsoft needs to be utterly *fornicated*!
A smarter company would have fixed their garbage piece of bloatware, sold it
at $50 ago and wiped out the competition by selling a cheap, user friendly
OS.
But hey, we all know Bill "Beelzebub" Gates is really out for the consumer,
don't we? ;)
I ALWAYS buy a FULL non-update version of Windows (and always version 2),
cause I KNOW it's gonna*up on a regular basis.

Remember how some of us were talking about the Amiga system? Think something
with the power of Linux, and the multimedia/adaptability of Windows ....and
it was made 15 FLIPPING YEARS AGO!!!
AGH!!! *tears out hair*

--
Silverblade
I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, than a King who believes in

Silverblade's Suitcase
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" from email address to reply :)

Quote:> I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
accused
> of M$ bashing, but...

> If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
> should know about this new MS policy.

> Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
customer
> response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> Pt 1 - The policy:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will affect
> all Windows users in the future.

> Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Jack Walde » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Old news.

Quote:> I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
accused
> of M$ bashing, but...

> If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
> should know about this new MS policy.

> Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
customer
> response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> Pt 1 - The policy:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

> Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

> Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will affect
> all Windows users in the future.

> Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Michael Ostendor » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

An interesting story... but I have not seen a confirmation from MS.
There is nothing one can trust anymore coming from 3rd party sources.

There are so many strange things going on with this so called court.
We over here name it the end of free marketing. The freedom of
marketing is one of the most important signs for the freedom of a
country....- Besides that, we put paid judges in jail over here....

An other considerable aspect but not an argument is the question, if
there would be usable PCs worldwide available for people without Bill
Gates.

Michael

Post by Terr » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
>should know about this new MS policy.

Thanks for the post. This is exactly why M$oft is in trouble with the
Justice Department.

For such a bunch of smart people, I continue to be amazed at how stupid
they are.

--
"Civilization has nothing to do with having electric lights, airplanes,
or manufacturing atomic bombs. It has nothing to do with killing

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Chris H » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I got this when I bought my HP last october.  Surprise surprise, no
Windows 98 CD, just a CD that will only install on HPs to reload the
machine.

Chris

--
Chris Hudson ,,,^..^,,,~            ~,,,^..^,,,

===================================
(A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Chuck Anderso » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

HP has been doing that all along (recovery disk, only).

> I got this when I bought my HP last october.  Surprise surprise, no
> Windows 98 CD, just a CD that will only install on HPs to reload the
> machine.

> Chris

> > I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be accused
> > of M$ bashing, but...

> > If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
> > should know about this new MS policy.

> > Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is customer
> > response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> > Pt 1 - The policy:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

> > Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

> > Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will affect
> > all Windows users in the future.

> > Rob

> --
> Chris Hudson ,,,^..^,,,~            ~,,,^..^,,,

> ===================================
> (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

 Chuck Anderson ? Boulder, CO    CycleTourist at
 http://www.CycleTourist.com     worldnet.att.net
 Tolerance is recognizing that other people have different ideals
 and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Joe Cilinceo » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well what do you expect the price of the OS just went up, the free lunch is
over. If you want the full version you will have to buy it since sweet heart
deal are now gone thanks to the government. After this is finished (unless
MS wins in appeal) we will be back to the early 80's when you bought a
computer system to run the software you wanted. We will now have computer
software priced like cars a 1000% increase in price. This is just my opinion
and still expect MS to win in the end.

--

Joe Cilinceon
http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

> Old news.

> > I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
> accused
> > of M$ bashing, but...

> > If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
> > should know about this new MS policy.

> > Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
> customer
> > response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> > Pt 1 - The policy:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

> > Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

> > Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will
affect
> > all Windows users in the future.

> > Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Cheryl » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure why this is such a surprise. The out-of-the-box system I bought
in 95 didn't come with a Windows CD; all I had was the OEM stuff. The first
time I reformatted, I installed 3.1, then bought the Win95 upgrade. My son
bought an OEM system two years ago, and it's the same thing. This has been
going on for a long time -- at least with some companies.

Frankly, I think if you asked 10 people what OS they'd use if they had a
choice, 9 of them would give you a blank look. Regardless of what many
people think, there's a huge population out there that wouldn't be on
computers if it wasn't for Microsoft, and most of them wouldn't know how to
change (or care to) if they had the choice. Bill Gates has been to personal
computing what Henry Ford was to automobiles.

Frankly, I think Netscape, Apple, et al are a bunch of whiners who couldn't
quite cut it, so they've run off to get their Big Brother. I'm about as
e*d (and expect just about as much) from this as I was about the breakup
of Ma Bell and the deregulation of the airline industry. Dig deep, folks; if
the Justice Dept. prevails you'll be dealing with the same *the cable
t.v. providers and telcos are giving you now.

Bill Gates' only advantage starting out was smarts and not being afraid to
take risks. Free enterprise is supposed to be just that: Free of
interference. The pressure that MS put on computer manufacturers wouldn't
have worked if the other companies had had anything to offer besides empty
promises and sad faces. When I first got on the www in 94, Netscape was the
premier browser; they dropped the ball and it was their misfortune that MS
was just waiting to pick it up. It reminds me of the Portland/LA playoffs
last week: The Blazers played hard for 3 quarters; when they slacked off, LA
jumped in. Whiners aren't winners - Doers are winners.

</rant>

Cheryle
PSP Terrorist - D'Lan deCaresk Chapter
Check out the VFAQ at http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Well what do you expect the price of the OS just went up, the free lunch is
>over. If you want the full version you will have to buy it since sweet
heart
>deal are now gone thanks to the government. After this is finished (unless
>MS wins in appeal) we will be back to the early 80's when you bought a
>computer system to run the software you wanted. We will now have computer
>software priced like cars a 1000% increase in price. This is just my
opinion
>and still expect MS to win in the end.

>--

>Joe Cilinceon
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Old news.

>> > I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
>> accused
>> > of M$ bashing, but...

>> > If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS, you
>> > should know about this new MS policy.

>> > Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
>> customer
>> > response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

>> > Pt 1 - The policy:
>> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> > Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
>> > http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> > Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will
>affect
>> > all Windows users in the future.

>> > Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Sue D » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yeah, I think so , too.

--

*Sue D.
*

> Well what do you expect the price of the OS just went up, the free lunch
is
> over. If you want the full version you will have to buy it since sweet
heart
> deal are now gone thanks to the government. After this is finished (unless
> MS wins in appeal) we will be back to the early 80's when you bought a
> computer system to run the software you wanted. We will now have computer
> software priced like cars a 1000% increase in price. This is just my
opinion
> and still expect MS to win in the end.

> --

> Joe Cilinceon
> http://newdawn.gzinc.com/

> > Old news.

> > > I am not one who usually post off-topic threads nor do I want to be
> > accused
> > > of M$ bashing, but...

> > > If you are looking to buy a new PC in the future with a Windows OS,
you
> > > should know about this new MS policy.

> > > Two parter:  First is an article about their new policy, second is
> > customer
> > > response & analysts suggestions on the "real" reasons for this policy.

> > > Pt 1 - The policy:
> > > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/05/01/000501opfoster.xml

> > > Pt 2 - Customer initial response:
> > > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/00/06/05/000605opfoster.xml

> > > Sorry for the OT post, but this is a very important issue that will
> affect
> > > all Windows users in the future.

> > > Rob

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by White Knigh » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Frankly, I think Netscape, Apple, et al are a bunch of whiners who
couldn't
> quite cut it, so they've run off to get their Big Brother.

I don't see this as the case.  Microsoft exploited their position in the OS
market to gain in the browser war by forcing the distribution of their
browser as a condition of using their OS in computers.  They didn't (at
least, initially) produce a better browser that people by choice decided was
better than Netscape's or anyone else's.  Since Netscape wasn't able to take
advantage of that positioning, they have been on the losing end of the war.

After all, think hard about it, being the average consumer just learning
about computers, which would you choose a browser pre-installed on your
computer at purchase or one you had to download or buy?

It's like buying a car with a decent CD player in it already...  Are you
going to tell me you are going to go out and purchase a different one to
install in its place?  Probably not, all other things considered equal...
Unless you are an audiophile or something.

Those of us that choose to use Netscape have to use IE to download it to our
computers after we purchased it.  The reason why M$ is in the lead of the
browser war is simply a matter of "the path of least resistance," not
because they built a browser that was oh-so-much-better.

Toss in the fact that you probably use MS Office in your workplace, which in
turn influences the decision to use Windows, and you come full circle.
Microsoft uses their position in the OS industry to leverage their
applications & browser divisions and visa-versa.

And that is part of why Microsoft finds themselves in court today...

Rob

P.S.  M$ doesn't build better products than anyone else does.  And the
companies that build better products than them, they acquire (or
assimilate.)   Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.  =))

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled Paint Shop Pro
broadcasting....

Post by White Knigh » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> HP has been doing that all along (recovery disk, only).

> > I got this when I bought my HP last october.  Surprise surprise, no
> > Windows 98 CD, just a CD that will only install on HPs to reload the
> > machine.

Same here on my Compaq...  It didn't bother me until I tried to do a
Windows-only re-install which isn't possible with my "Quick Restore CD"  I
also wanted to configure my HD with 2 partitions; one with Windows system
files, one with my apps & data files...  However, I discovered I couldn't do
that either because I would set the partitions, but my Quick Restore CD
would reset it to the factory default...

What this whole thing means to me is that the end user is loosing control of
how he chooses to configure his computer...  This is acceptable to 85% of
the masses which simply choose the default installation of everything, but
what about the rest of us who would like to tweak or adjust something.

Also, as the second article points out, what if I wanted to dual-boot *my
PC* (the key word here is "MY"!!!) with Linux, OS/2, or some other operating
system?  I can't as easily do it if I fear I may lose Windows because of
it...  That would end up turning my computer into a 50 pound paper weight.

Rob

Post by Cheryl » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> Frankly, I think Netscape, Apple, et al are a bunch of whiners who
>couldn't
>> quite cut it, so they've run off to get their Big Brother.

>I don't see this as the case.  Microsoft exploited their position in the OS
>market to gain in the browser war by forcing the distribution of their
>browser as a condition of using their OS in computers.  They didn't (at
>least, initially) produce a better browser that people by choice decided
was
>better than Netscape's or anyone else's.  Since Netscape wasn't able to
take
>advantage of that positioning, they have been on the losing end of the war.

FWIW, I didn't have IE preinstalled on my computer until I upgraded to
Win98. Before that, I had downloaded and installed both browsers (I design
web pages), but used IE exclusively for personal surfing after about 1996;
Netscape just didn't cut it any more.

Quote:>After all, think hard about it, being the average consumer just learning
>about computers, which would you choose a browser pre-installed on your
>computer at purchase or one you had to download or buy?

>It's like buying a car with a decent CD player in it already...  Are you
>going to tell me you are going to go out and purchase a different one to
>install in its place?  Probably not, all other things considered equal...
>Unless you are an audiophile or something.

>Those of us that choose to use Netscape have to use IE to download it to
our
>computers after we purchased it.  The reason why M$ is in the lead of the
>browser war is simply a matter of "the path of least resistance," not
>because they built a browser that was oh-so-much-better.

And a friend of mine in CA had to switch to Netscape when he got DSL since
PacBell won't support IE. When he tried to download an IE upgrade, he kept
getting disconnected from the MS site. When he complained to his ISP, they
refused to help him, saying they don't support anything by MS. It took
several phone calls and a lot of persistence to get it fixed. So both sides
play the game. Of course since PacBell is the only DSL provider where he
lives, he had no leverage. Hmmm... isn't PacBell one of the spin-offs we got
from the breakup of Ma Bell?

The Netscape vs. IE discussion really is largely a matter of personal
choice. My first computer came with a lot of stuff preinstalled that I
didn't like, so I removed it and replaced it with what I wanted. ::shrug::

Quote:>Toss in the fact that you probably use MS Office in your workplace, which
in
>turn influences the decision to use Windows, and you come full circle.
>Microsoft uses their position in the OS industry to leverage their
>applications & browser divisions and visa-versa.

Actually, I used MS Office at home before it became the standard where I
work. Prior to '97, our standard was WordPerfect, which I happened to like a
lot. But MS was faster about integrating other programs, and it's all about
compatibility when you need to produce.

Quote:>And that is part of why Microsoft finds themselves in court today...

>Rob

>P.S.  M$ doesn't build better products than anyone else does.  And the
>companies that build better products than them, they acquire (or
>assimilate.)   Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.  =))

I like Microsoft products. A lot. I run a moderately powerful system with a
lot of extras and seldom have problems with it. When I do, they're most
often either hardware related or user failure. I respect others' right to
make their own choices, and there are still plenty of them out there. I just
think getting upset about OEM discs (which was the orginal point of this
thread) was surprising, since it's been going on for years. My first
computer back in '92 was a Packard Bell (spit in the dirt) without Windows,
and it had an OEM disc that had a bunch of *on it, too.

Quote:

>And now we return you to your regularly scheduled Paint Shop Pro
>broadcasting....

Sounds like a good idea! <G>

Cheryle
PSP Terrorist - D'Lan deCaresk Chapter
Check out the VFAQ at http://www.veryComputer.com/

New MS policy will affect new PC purchases

Post by Michael Ostendor » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

What "White Knight" brought up as "arguments" is exactly what I name
crap, sorry, no other way to say that. It was always up to the users
decision, what they preferred. MS or other products.
I never had the experience, that my MS OSs excluded other products,
but a good time ago, I made the experience, that Netscape made access
to their sites impossible for MS-IE users. And was it nice, that a
deinstallation of a Netscape browser (ver 3 amnd earlier) killed all
dll files without asking prior to doing it? The only solution was
format C and reinstall, since the OS was completely corrupted.
This should have brought to court! damaging others property!
And what Cheryle brought as sample is enough to put at least one
company completely out of business, but that is not MS!
Besides that, there is no honest answer possible but saying that the
MS IE is the better browser since a good time.

To be fan of an 'other' OS is OK, but is not OK to akt fanatic and
unfair. To bring up a thesis like "M$ doesn't build better products
than anyone else does. " is talkink BS. Show me an Office Pack better
than Microsofts. Dont mention 'Star-Office'. I do not need to see an
explorer-type part on my screen while I write a letter, I do not need
to have at least 40% of my screen  covered with unneeded extras. I
need someting integrating my complete PC into my work. Thats only
possible with Microsoft products. I have a minimum of 4 recent CDs of
Staroffice laying here, given to me when I bought any hardware. This
free distribution does not make it better.
And, "White Knight", people buy what they prefer. Isn't it obvious,
that the other products are of less quality, since people refuse to
use them. Every single person checks the available products to buy the
best thing. There are *y good reasons to spent the big bucks for
MS office 2000 (among other samples) and not to shoot for anything
else.
And what can be said about Linux? It was so hard to get it installed,
that a simple user was not able to do that alone. They made
'installation parties' to bring some people together, to set it up. It
was difficult even for more experienced linux users. Just recently
they say (I do not know, if it is right) that linux starts to get
easier to install. Well, when they get there, they might be able to
start competing. As of now, they were not able to compete. So why do
they complain?

If you really hate MS that much, you should please restrict yourself
by accessing only 'I-hate-MS' groups. You will not be able to make
friends by repeating a paid judges crooked decisions.

I wrote this, in spite of the fact that Cheryle was pleading for an
end of this thread, yes it's really OT, but can someone feel different
but upset watching, what all hate can produce? That is what the big
majority here in Germany feels, from Government till single PC user.
Understanding for US court decisions, no, they are good for cheep
jokes, but for nothing else.

 This so far for now and finally on this item from my side. But I had
to write it.

I did not cut the quote, it is saying too much.

Best regards

Michael

> [...]

> >assimilate.)   Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.  =))

> I like Microsoft products. A lot. I run a moderately powerful system
with a
> lot of extras and seldom have problems with it. When I do, they're
most
> often either hardware related or user failure. I respect others'
right to
> make their own choices, and there are still plenty of them out
there. I just
> think getting upset about OEM discs (which was the orginal point of
this
> thread) was surprising, since it's been going on for years. My first
> computer back in '92 was a Packard Bell (spit in the dirt) without
Windows,
> and it had an OEM disc that had a bunch of *on it, too.

> >And now we return you to your regularly scheduled Paint Shop Pro

1. New Year, New PC, New Error Message

I bought 2 new PC during the December holidays
and suddenly I see a message which I have never
seen before.

'''Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and
has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements.
Check the video card manufacturer's web site for the latest
software.'''

The display card is a GeForce 7050 and I have updated the driver.

I am running CS4 and CS4 had no problems on my older PC
and older display card. (GeForce 5200)

I think I am busy picking up problems with my 2? years old AL1914
ACER screen, (causing animated flickering *only sometimes) but there
is no way PS can be so clever knowing this.

What would be the reason for the error message?

BTW (off topic) I bought this Acer for the sake of a '3 years on site
guarantee', but firstly I have seen in forums people complaining about
Acer's customer service, and secondly, the animation (sometimes
very bad) happens once or twice a day, and some days not even.
Proving this to a Acer consultant may be difficult.

2. RUAW

3. My new kill-filing policy...

4. Sawgrass Transfer Sublijet Ink

5. New nasty upgrade pricing policy at Adobe

6. I need the QuicktimeVR plugin for Lightwave

7. ***WARNING** NEW PRICE POLICY AT REM INFOGRAFICA !!!

8. new web site for slides and negatives from your files!!!!!

9. %$# New Tek Policy

10. Why camera setting affected by new iv model loaded

11. New shape node affects current material, cache problem?

12. NEW NEW NEW NEW

13. new new new new