Millions on a 630

Post by Beowu » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Is it true that you can plug a 24-bit graphics accelerator into the PPC
slot of a Q630 that would enable one to use a monitor larger than 15" with
millions of colors?

Beowulf

Millions on a 630

Post by Peter Coh » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Is it true that you can plug a 24-bit graphics accelerator into the PPC
>slot of a Q630 that would enable one to use a monitor larger than 15" with
>millions of colors?

There isn't such thing as a 'PPC' slot. It's called PDS, and it stands for
Processor Direct Slot. The PDS on the Quadra 630's motherboard is
compatible with later-model LC-compatible cards. Any LC-compatible video
board should work. Many of the boards currently sold are not accelerators-
just video expansion boards. As a result, working in millions of colors
may slow you down somewhat.

Caveat: some certain manufacturers of such boards are having trouble
getting their boards to work with System 7.5, according to some of the
threads I've read on a couple of commercial online services. Make sure to
call and ask their support departments about the cards' capabilities
before purchasing one...

--

http://www.tiac.net/users/flargh/index.html
"I've never approved of government meddling. Whatever people

Millions on a 630

Post by David Sommervil » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> >Is it true that you can plug a 24-bit graphics accelerator into the PPC
> >slot of a Q630 that would enable one to use a monitor larger than 15" with
> >millions of colors?

YEs they do make cards to Fit... In fact I have one in a Performa 475 and
it works just fine and dandy with system 7.5.1 with NO PROBLEMS...

In fact I would be interested in selling it. It supports millions of
colors for monitors up to and including 17" inches but will support
monitors all the way up to 21".

It is a ProColorServer 24LC By Lapis. Supports use of two monitors So you
can a *in two monitor set up...Put you picture your editing on on
screen and the desktop and your pallets on the other... (needs internal
vram to work..Hence your machine should have 1 meg installed)

I am selling this because I now have a Quadra 950 with 2 meg of vram on
the board wich allows me 24 bit color on up to 17 inch monitors with no
Card.

Will Take $225 for it..

Email if your interested.