HELP with SE/30 and ext monitor

Post by Jonathan Do » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I am having trouble with setting up my SE/30 to work with an IBM SVGA
monitor. I have the RasterOps 264 video card installed. I have a VGA adapter
for the monitor. Everything is connected, but there is no picture on the IBM
monitor. I fiddled with the rotary knob and dip switches on the VGA adapter
with no success. I don't know who makes the adapter. The SE/30 knows there
are 2 monitors, but I can't see anything. Is the problem the card, monitor,
or the VGA adapter?

Much thanks.

--
To reply by email, remove 'spam' from address

Post by Bob Stallin » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi

> I am having trouble with setting up my SE/30 to work with an IBM SVGA
> monitor. I have the RasterOps 264 video card installed. I have a VGA adapter
> for the monitor. Everything is connected, but there is no picture on the IBM
> monitor. I fiddled with the rotary knob and dip switches on the VGA adapter
> with no success. I don't know who makes the adapter. The SE/30 knows there
> are 2 monitors, but I can't see anything. Is the problem the card, monitor,
> or the VGA adapter?

> Much thanks.

> --
> To reply by email, remove 'spam' from address

My guess is the adaptor. I haven't used the RasterOps 264 or an IBM SVGA
monitor with my SE/30's, but I've used Lapis and Xceed cards with a
variety of monitors, and I've found they are finicky about what adaptors
will work with which card-monitor combinations. They all seem to work with
the old style fixed 640x480 resolution adaptor I got from NEC.

--

(remove BOZO to reply)

Post by Martin Cri » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi

> > I am having trouble with setting up my SE/30 to work with an IBM SVGA
> > monitor. I have the RasterOps 264 video card installed. I have a VGA adapter
> > for the monitor. Everything is connected, but there is no picture on the IBM
> > monitor. I fiddled with the rotary knob and dip switches on the VGA adapter
> > with no success. I don't know who makes the adapter. The SE/30 knows there
> > are 2 monitors, but I can't see anything. Is the problem the card, monitor,
> > or the VGA adapter?

The 264 card doesn't have a sense pin, it doesn't know whether there is a
monitor, it assumes there is and tells the mac there is. If you disconnect
the monitor (and adapter) the mac will still report the presence of the
second monitor.

Quote:> My guess is the adaptor. I haven't used the RasterOps 264 or an IBM SVGA
> monitor with my SE/30's, but I've used Lapis and Xceed cards with a
> variety of monitors, and I've found they are finicky about what adaptors
> will work with which card-monitor combinations. They all seem to work with
> the old style fixed 640x480 resolution adaptor I got from NEC.

I've used the 264 card with an FG/MacII adapter and an NEC 4FG (disgusting
monitors wrt QC in my experience with more than a few of said monitor) and
a viewsonic (? from memory, it's been several years) monitor, but it
wouldn't work with a couple of apple multi-sync monitors (which -
apparently - required the sense pin...) so I bought a fixed-resolution
(apple 'Hi Res') monitor.

So depending on who you want to blame I reckon it's:
the card (for not having a sense pin)
the monitor/adapter (for requiring one), if you can find another adapter to
try that might fix your problem.

HTH

Have Fun
Martin
--

Computer Systems Officer - Tourism Tasmania <ringnose 'at' tourism.tas.gov.au>
User/Mail/Network Support & Admin, Lotus Notes Dev & Admin.

Owner/Operator - Tesseract Computing <hypercube 'at' tesseract.com.au>
4D & Applescript => automated office & control systems
General Mac Consulting

My Opinions == Tesseract Computing's Opinions != Tourism Tasmania's Opinions

1. HELP with SE/30 and external monitor

Well... I haven't seen/used the 624 (never heard of it before), I use the
fixed resolution (640*480) 264 board in an SE/30. [Yes the thought that
you'd transposed numbers crossed my mind, but you have the benefit of the
doubt].

It also causes interference (or more precisely I think the analog sweep
board in the SE/30 interferes with the monitor). My solution was to use the
lid off one of my wife's cake tins to damp the interference to a tolerable
level. I straightened out 2 of the edge flaps, put some blue-tac on the
underside of the remaining flaps and secured it to the side of the SE/30
facing the external monitor.

As mine is fixed res, I haven't explored this, sorry.

HAve Fun
MArtin
--

Computer Systems Officer - Tourism Tasmania <ringnose 'at' tourism.tas.gov.au>
User/Mail/Network Support & Admin, Lotus Notes Dev & Admin.

Owner/Operator - Tesseract Computing <hypercube 'at' tesseract.com.au>
4D & Applescript => automated office & control systems
General Mac Consulting

My Opinions == Tesseract Computing's Opinions != Tourism Tasmania's Opinions

2. HELP WITH CASTLE MESH AND MAPPING !

3. Question: SE/30 and external monitor

4. Tough One For You!

5. Spectrum/8 Series II SE/30 HELP!!!!!!!!

6. MPG to AVI

7. HELP: grapics card w SE/30

8. Help me!

9. SE/30 Color Graphics Boards

10. FA: Xceed Grayscale adaptor for Mac SE/30

11. Which is best for SE/30?

12. WTB_ Mac SE/30 video adapter

13. WTB: Mac SE/30 video adapter