background captures with the indy camera (Webcam)

background captures with the indy camera (Webcam)

Post by Leo Wes » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I would like  to use the indy camera  to capture image in order to feed
a * (crontab).
But i can't figure out how to run "capture" on the command line (ie from

the crontab) without that it uses X (It always opens a window)
imaybe there are better utilities to do that ?

Does anybody knows an answer ?

Thanxs.

[please email the answer]

Post by Christopher Spr » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I would like  to use the Indy camera  to capture image in order to feed
>a * (crontab).

http://www.veryComputer.com/~cspry/computing/Indy_admin/IndyCam.html has
information on 'Using an IndyCam to provide www clients with a picture on
demand.'

--
Christopher Spry

background captures with the indy camera (Webcam)

Post by Sean E. Du » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Hi!
:
: I would like  to use the indy camera  to capture image in order to feed
: a * (crontab).
: But i can't figure out how to run "capture" on the command line (ie from

You can use the command "vidtomem -f" to write out the default video
device (set it to the camera) to an rgb file.  Then you can use something
like the imagemagick utility "convert" to convert it to a .gif, etc.
Check out http://www.veryComputer.com/~skacore/wpi/ for an example of it being
done.

Sean

--
Sean Dunn

http://www.veryComputer.com/~skacore/
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

                 "There are a thousand hacking at the branches
                  of evil to one who is striking at the root."
                     - Henry David Thoreau, "Walden", 1854

Post by Kiraly Andra » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I would like  to use the indy camera  to capture image in order to feed
> a * (crontab).
> But i can't figure out how to run "capture" on the command line

Here's mine, a file called 'webgrab'

#!/bin/sh
BASE=/hosts/chaos/usr/people/andras/public_html/*
cd $BASE
/usr/sbin/vidtomem -f multim
/usr/sbin/imgcopy $BASE/multim-00000.rgb $BASE/multim.jpg
rm $BASE/multim-00000.rgb

'BASE' is the the path to the directory on the webserver
'multim' is the name of the grabbed picture
In the 5th line 'imgcopy' converts the image to jpg format
In the 6th line the original rgb image is deleted.

Cron:
In my crontab file (in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/)

#
* * * * * /usr/local/bin/webgrab 2>/dev/null

It gives a picture in every minute in every hour on every day in every
month, shortly: in every second and send errors to /dev/null (as I
remember correctly).

bye.

1. background captures with the indy camera (Webcam)

--------------C53084127149BBE7B6BB23C6

--------------C53084127149BBE7B6BB23C6

Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 09:59:14 +0100

Subject: Re: background captures with the indy camera (Webcam)

I created a similar script on a couple of Indys here

http://www.io.tudelft.nl/~adrie/LookOut.html

The only thing I would like to be able is adjusting the shutterspeed
automatically.
I have a little script which tries to do it, but the result is not very good:

Sometimes it set's the shutter to 1/1000 while it is a camera inside and
should set it to 1/50 or 1/100

The script I use is at http://www.io.tudelft.nl/~adrie/IndyShutter

--------------C53084127149BBE7B6BB23C6--

2. How to convert SGI iff images to NT images?

3. Video capture (webcam) problem when window is not in focus

4. SIMPLY 3D QUESTION?

5. Need help with image capture from WebCam.

6. Printing crapiness in CorelDraw 7

7. Video Capture (From WebCam, Etc)

8. Video Capture (webcam-ish)

9. Webcam picture capture.