ADMIN: Monthly Toaster mailing list FAQ

Post by Toaster Mail List Administrat » Sun, 30 Jan 1994 13:45:32

----------------------   Video Toaster Mail-List   ----------------------

-- WHAT IS THE TOASTER? --

The Video Toaster is a combination of hardware and software which allows
you to produce video right on your desktop with the addition of some
video-specific hardware.  The Video Toaster is a product of NewTek, Inc.
and it basically puts about $30,000 worth of video production power on
your desktop for a small fraction of that amount.  The Video Toaster
only works inside of a Commodore Amiga 2000, 3000 or 4000 series
computer but can be accessed by Macs with ToasterLink and possibly by
IBM PC's in the future.

-- WHY ARE WE DOING THIS? --

This mailing list is for those interested in the Toaster, how it
operates and in ideas on how to obtain the best quality productions
available to them.  The list is for those who own the Toaster as well
as those just interested in what can be done with the package.  We
hope to share information, tips, procedures and to bond as a group.

-- WHAT ARE THE RULES? --

The rules are pretty simple, don't post any articles that don't relate
to the Video Toaster to the list and don't send administrative type
requests to the list.

You do NOT have to own a Toaster to join this list!

-- OK! HOW DO I JOIN? --

To become a member of the Toaster mailing list you must send a mail
message to the address:

In the body of the message enter:

subscribe <address> toaster

Example:

The listserv software will automatically subscribe you to the list and
you can also unsubscribe the same way using unsubscribe instead of
subscribe as the command you send to the listserv software.

-- HOW DO I POST TO THE LIST? --

Contributing to the list is simple.  Just mail your articles to the
following address:

Your article will be processed by the system and distributed to all
others joined to the list.  Your articles will also be sent to you so
you know that your article has made it to the list.

-- HOW DO I QUIT THE LIST? --

Simply mail a request to be removed from the list to the same address
you used to sign up:

In the body of the message enter:

unsubscribe <address> toaster

PLEASE, if you join the list and your account is going to be closed or
if you will not be able to receive mail for a while, send a request to
be removed from the list!  If you are just going to lose access for a
short while still send a request for a suspension of your membership.

-- WHAT ABOUT OLD ARTICLES? --

I am currently archiving all the articles posted to the list at the
originating site (bobsbox).  However, I can not continue to do this due
to lack of disk space.  What we need is a volunteer that will maintain a
compendium of articles sent to the list.  They can compress and store
them in archives on their system.  They can then periodically post an
index of the contents of the compendium and any other information that
relates.

If there are no volunteers then maybe someone can donate a large SCSI
hard drive to me for archival purposes. <grin>

I have setup a mail-based file server so that anyone interested in the
list can obtain information as well as the entire archive of past
articles, the membership listing and other information pertaining to
the Toaster mailing list.  For information on this service, please
send a mail message to:

The first command to the server must be "HELP" or "USER name <passwd>".

Use HELP to request a current copy of the helpfile.
Use USER name [passwd] to connect to the service.
Use ?    to get a short listing of all available commands.

-- NOW WHAT DO I DO? --

Well, sit back and enjoy the pouring out of information.  If you have
something to offer, please feel free to contribute that information to
the list.  Every little bit helps.  Questions are welcomed!  It makes
some of us feel important when we can answer them. <grin>

If you have any questions or comments regarding the list, please contact
me at the address:

Cheers,

Bob Lindabury