Problems with REALLY BIG QT Movies

Post by Dan Hartm » Fri, 22 Apr 1994 21:39:16

I've generated a fairly large QuickTime reference movie consisting of about
100 submovies pasted together {totalling 150,000 frames at 30fps}.  The
problem
I'm having is that Quicktime seems to hang forever when displaying the
movie.

I had tried with a smaller file {100,000 frames}, and it took about 5
minutes to
pop up; I've waited at least 30 minutes with the larger file.  I don't
think its having memory problems, as I gave simple player 10mb of memory to
use, and it
didn't complain about running out.

Any ideas?  Would regressing to a previous version of QT help {I'm using
1.6}.  Will this be fixed in QT2.0?

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

Problems with REALLY BIG QT Movies

Post by Cyrus Shaf » Sun, 24 Apr 1994 06:14:50

Quote:>>I've generated a fairly large QuickTime reference movie consisting of about
>>100 submovies pasted together {totalling 150,000 frames at 30fps}.  The
>>problem
>>I'm having is that Quicktime seems to hang forever when displaying the
>>movie.

There was a posting on the AV mac mailing list about Quicktime 1.5-1.62
having troubles playing large movies.  The problem was with the CD Rom
driver software causing Quicktime to hang.  The solution was apparently to
upgrade the CD Rom driver software.  Here is a copy of the mail article I
got.

--------------------------

Subject:      Yippiiiieeee: Solution for QuickTime crashes (?)

Hi,
as many other AV owners I had a lot of troubles with QuickTime movies and
the CD-ROM software (freezes, static noise instead of a movie,...). Only
deinstalling the CD software would prevent those problems. I event
persuaded my Apple dealer to give me a copy of QuickTime 1.6.2, but it did
not help.

Yesterday, however, I gophered the latest CD software (5.0.1) from
info.hed.apple.com.
Guess what: all QuickTime problems are gone (so far).

I gave it quite a heavy test: I kept running 4 movies (in loop mode) for
about 30 minutes, without any problem. From time to time I changed the size
of the movies (double size, fill screen,...).  To make things more
interesting, I copied 13 MB from a CD to my hard disk (while the movies
were still playing). No problem.

Before I had installed CD software 5.0.1 two of those movies crashed my AV
on a regular basis. (One is the 1984 commercial (without voiceover), the
other was created by a friend of mine).

 I would be very interested if this works for other people too.

 My configuration: Quadra 840av, 16/1GB, QuickTime 1.6.2, CD-ROM software 5.0.1,
                   System 7 pro, lots of extensions.

--------------------------------

Department of Electrical Engineering      |  "Never share a foxhole with
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada   |   someone braver than youself"

Post by Ivan M CaveroBelaun » Sun, 24 Apr 1994 00:16:59

>I've generated a fairly large QuickTime reference movie consisting of about
>100 submovies pasted together {totalling 150,000 frames at 30fps}.  The
>problem
>I'm having is that Quicktime seems to hang forever when displaying the
>movie.

This movie of yours has about 100 different video tracks inside of it
(one per submovie), pointing to 100 different files. You could be running
into a couple of problems:

        - For every video track you have, QuickTime needs to allocate an
                instance of the corresponding decompressor and a cache
                for the data from the media file. Depending on the data
                rate for the video track, the cache might be pretty large.
                It could be this allocation process that takes a long
                time. If this is the problem, you're SOL - that's just
                the way QT works. You can check whether this is the
                problem by saving a copy of the movie as self-contained
                and then seeing how long it takes to open it. If it
                takes just as long, this is the problem and there isn't
                much you can do about it without merging the movies
                together (I assume you *want* them in separate files).
                If it speeds up, however, the problem is fixable (see
                below).
        - For every media file you reference, QuickTime must resolve an
                alias to that file. An alias contains multiple levels
                of references (ranging from a path name to a name and
                creation date). If the file is not found where the alias
                thinks it is (ie where it was when originally created)
                and the file ID doesn't match what the alias thinks it
                is (ie the alias was created pointing to an identical
                file on a different hard drive), most likely the alias
                manager will end up performing an exhaustive search for
                the file. This could take a long time, especially for
                100 files. The good side is that the aliases are updated
                internally to the movie simply by opening it, so if this
                is the problem, you should be able to fix it by opening
                and resaving the movie in MoviePlayer. You could also
                try to use ComboWalker (a movie-walking utility on the
                developer CD that among other things forces alias updating).

Quote:>I had tried with a smaller file {100,000 frames}, and it took about 5
>minutes to
>pop up; I've waited at least 30 minutes with the larger file.  I don't
>think its having memory problems, as I gave simple player 10mb of memory to
>use, and it
>didn't complain about running out.

You could also try to use ZoneRanger or Swatch (available at your local
ftp archive) to monitor memory usage on MoviePlayer and see whether it
is a memory issue after all.

Quote:>Any ideas?  Would regressing to a previous version of QT help {I'm using
>1.6}.  Will this be fixed in QT2.0?

No comment.

-Ivan
---

Avid VideoShop Project Lead
Avid Technology, Inc.

1. Really Big Problem!

Hi everybody, I've got this terrible problem:
Games don't detect my opengl! I've got the latest drivers and
detonator-upgrades and everything.
My system: Pentium III 667 Mhz, Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Pro (AGP, 32 mb, irq:11).
If anyone could please help me out I'd be veryvery thankful!!!
Here is the error message I get from the quake3 console or the Star Trek
Voyager Elite Force Console:

ST:V EF v0.28 win-x86 Aug 17 2000
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\Star Trek Voyager Elite Force\baseef\pak0.pk3 (19069 files)
D:\Star Trek Voyager Elite Force/baseef

----------------------
execing default.cfg
execing efconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------

------- Force Feedback Initialization -------
...inhibited, not initializing

----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Working directory: D:\Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using desktop display depth of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class

Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok

Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

That's it... Thanks in advance for any responses!

2. Req: s/n for Macromedia Products

3. converting QT Mac movies to Windows movies ?

4. accuracy of boundary representations

5. HELP: QT movie sound problem

6. Why image grows darker while rendering?

7. problem with SGI -> QT movies

8. BIG BIG BIG problem in MAX

9. QT to MPEG does it really exist ?

10. Needed! Tool to convert Apple-QT-Movies to Windows-QT-Movies

11. How you handle really big textures?(like 16k x 16k)

12. Perspective - Really BIG!