Nearest approach of two param. lines

Post by Leslie R. Elki » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 06:52:44

Hello...  I have an application where I need to find the closest point
of approach of two parametric lines in threespace.  Is there an example
of this 'in the literature' anywhere?

The two solutions I am aware of would look at either a) minimizing the
distance between the points defined by the line equations or b) using
a third line between two points on the line equations and finding the
parameters that make this third line perpendicular to the first two.
However, in both cases the algebra gets messy quickly...

Thanks for any pointers,

Les

                                   represent those of NSWC, the Navy,
Les Elkins                         or the federal government.
Naval Surface Warfare Center
Dahlgren Division                (And anybody who says otherwise is
Silver Spring, MD                      itching for a fight...)