A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Martien van Wanrooi » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

A somewhat general question: when I  ask a question in this newsgroup I
sometimes feel the desire to upload an image I have made  when I want to
know how to make certain corrections or so. Is there a possibility to upload
images within this newsgroup? Another alternative could be, making a page on
my website especially for that reason and write a link in my message. Anyway
when I can make visible the image I am talking about it is always easier to
understand than posting messages like: I made such and such image and I
would to change it so and so. Does anybody recognise the same problem?

--
Martien van Wanrooij

http://www.xs4all.nl/~martienw

Post by Beth Winte » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> A somewhat general question: when I  ask a question in this newsgroup I
> sometimes feel the desire to upload an image I have made  when I want to
> know how to make certain corrections or so. Is there a possibility to upload
> images within this newsgroup? Another alternative could be, making a page on
> my website especially for that reason and write a link in my message. Anyway
> when I can make visible the image I am talking about it is always easier to
> understand than posting messages like: I made such and such image and I
> would to change it so and so. Does anybody recognise the same problem?

The solution would be either to upload the image to your page (not even linking
it anywhere) and give us the url -- with this you must be careful, some web
providers like Xoom, Fortunecity and Crosswinds don't allow direct outside
linking to images, but an account with Geocities will do. And the other way is
to post it on alt.binaries.computer-graphics and give us the message subject ^_^

--
Beth Winter

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Nightingai » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for asking - since this is a non-binary newsgroup you can *not*
post images within this group  ;-)

You can either upload to a website as you mentioned and then post the
URL here, or you can post the image in alt.binaries.comp-graphics, and
then post a note here telling us to look for it in that group. Either
way is fine.

Nightingail

--
Nightingail's Gallery
http://glenngail.tripod.com/

> A somewhat general question: when I  ask a question in this newsgroup
> sometimes feel the desire to upload an image I have made  when I want
> know how to make certain corrections or so. Is there a possibility to
upload
> images within this newsgroup? Another alternative could be, making a
page on
> my website especially for that reason and write a link in my message.
Anyway
> when I can make visible the image I am talking about it is always
easier to
> understand than posting messages like: I made such and such image and
> would to change it so and so. Does anybody recognise the same problem?

> --
> Martien van Wanrooij

> http://www.xs4all.nl/~martienw

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by paal naes » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>. Is there a possibility to upload
>images within this newsgroup?

no.  many isp's Cleanfeeds their groups, deleting posts with html, binaries
and attachments such as v-cards.  (it's a bandwith matter.)

Quote:>Another alternative could be, making a page on
>my website especially for that reason and write a link in my message.

yes, that is one.

Quote:>Anyway
>when I can make visible the image I am talking about it is always easier to
>understand than posting messages like: I made such and such image and I
>would to change it so and so.

another alternative is you send the pic to
alt.binaries.comp-graphics  (via Remarq.com if your isp don't have that
group)
, then you can post here saying "I've put up a pic over in abc-g named
so-and-so.jpg, any suggestions to what i should change?"

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Martien van Wanrooi » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>The solution would be either to upload the image to your page (not even
linking
>it anywhere) and give us the url -- with this you must be careful, some web
>providers like Xoom, Fortunecity and Crosswinds don't allow direct outside
>linking to images, but an account with Geocities will do. And the other way
is
>to post it on alt.binaries.computer-graphics and give us the message
subject ^_^

>--
>Beth Winter

Beth,
Thank you especially for your warning that direct linking is not always
allowed. As an afterthought I think it is no problem to create a link on my
homepage saying for instance "feel free to visite my graphics experiments
page but excuse me that it looks a little bit messy, it is only for
experimental purposes". The suggestion of posting them to a binaries
newsgroup is very helpful too.

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by LKR » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyway
>> when I can make visible the image I am talking about it is always easier to
>> understand than posting messages like: I made such and such image and I
>> would to change it so and so. Does anybody recognise the same problem?

Since I haven't gotten around to making a webpage (thinking about it) I use
www.photopoint.com for this.
Very easy, just attach the image to an e-mail and it goes into your album. You
can put a lengthy caption on it. I've found it very useful.
You don't get a lot of junk mail from photopoint -- which I like -- and you can
post a URL that will take folks directly to the pic.
NOTE: Photopoint usually reduces the size for faster display. To keep it the
original size, just put no resize in the subject line.
2400 by 2400 is their maximum image size.

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Bill Schnakenber » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> Since I haven't gotten around to making a webpage (thinking about it) I use
> www.photopoint.com for this.
> Very easy, just attach the image to an e-mail and it goes into your album. You
> can put a lengthy caption on it. I've found it very useful.
> You don't get a lot of junk mail from photopoint -- which I like -- and you can
> post a URL that will take folks directly to the pic.
> NOTE: Photopoint usually reduces the size for faster display. To keep it the
> original size, just put no resize in the subject line.
> 2400 by 2400 is their maximum image size.

You might also try Jasc's Studio Avenue. 50 MB of free storage to
share images with direct linking from webpages, newsgroups, etc. I
haven't used it yet. But see here:
http://www.jasc.com/studioave/index.html

--
Bill -
PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter - Anti-Troll Unit 235

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Renald Levesqu » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Why a graphic group would be a non binaries group? It defies all logical
explanations, doesn't it? I have tried to find an answer to that one,
and there are only 2 that I can imagine:

- Graphics people have their computer doing graphics full time (not time
for chat) and access newsgroups with an Army Surplus Teletype.

- Graphics people enjoy flaming wars more than they do graphics. That
would explain the threads that drag on for weeks, sometimes months.

:o)   :o)   :o)

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Beth Winte » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Why a graphic group would be a non binaries group? It defies all logical
> explanations, doesn't it? I have tried to find an answer to that one,
> and there are only 2 that I can imagine:

none of the above. It's to do with Usenet hierarchy as defined by the Cabal
(TINC, fnord) ages ago (well, before I turned 10). alt.binaries are intended
for binary postings *only*. A group discussing a *computer *graphics
*application has to be in comp.graphics.apps. It facilitates searching for
appriopriate newsgroups and is the basic structure of Usenet. Any complaints
to http://www.cabal.org ^_^
--
Beth Winter

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Ronald Vic » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:04:00 GMT, Renald Levesque

>Why a graphic group would be a non binaries group? It defies all logical
>explanations, doesn't it? I have tried to find an answer to that one,
>and there are only 2 that I can imagine:

>- Graphics people have their computer doing graphics full time (not time
>for chat) and access newsgroups with an Army Surplus Teletype.

>- Graphics people enjoy flaming wars more than they do graphics. That
>would explain the threads that drag on for weeks, sometimes months.

>:o)   :o)   :o)

Neither, although there seems to have been much more of the second
than usual recently.

This group was designated from the beginning as a Q&A group.  It was
decided that it was very important that the postings stay on the ISP's
for as long a period as possible.  Many ISP's set the length of time
of retention to the amount of space the group uses.  A single graphics
posting can cause hundreds of answers and discussion to be pushed off
the various ISP's, rendering research difficult.

ISP's also keep checking discussion groups, which is what this group
is, looking for groups which become de facto binary groups, and apply
a different set of controls to those groups.

If you really want, you can petition the News Group control to start a
new News group for PSP which allows binaries, but be advised they
don't want to dilute the effect of the NG's by creating too many NG's.
The first question they're going to ask is why existing NG's can't be
used for the proposed group.  It's not impossible, the Simpsons group
recently got their own binary NG for images and sound clips.

If you want to do this, then I'll even sign the petition, and frequent
the trial group while awaiting final decision.  However, that's not
going to change this group.

Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Renald Levesqu » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Ronald,
That makes sense, although it may be obsolete thinking on the part of the
gods of newsgroups. I would not want a PSP group in the alt.binaries
division, among all the filth that you find there. I presume that there are
kids who are also interested in graphics, and the "red light district" is
hardly a place for them. So it looks like we are out of luck.

> Neither, although there seems to have been much more of the second
> than usual recently.

> This group was designated from the beginning as a Q&A group.  It was
> decided that it was very important that the postings stay on the ISP's
> for as long a period as possible.  Many ISP's set the length of time
> of retention to the amount of space the group uses.  A single graphics
> posting can cause hundreds of answers and discussion to be pushed off
> the various ISP's, rendering research difficult.

> ISP's also keep checking discussion groups, which is what this group
> is, looking for groups which become de facto binary groups, and apply
> a different set of controls to those groups.

> If you really want, you can petition the News Group control to start a
> new News group for PSP which allows binaries, but be advised they
> don't want to dilute the effect of the NG's by creating too many NG's.
> The first question they're going to ask is why existing NG's can't be
> used for the proposed group.  It's not impossible, the Simpsons group
> recently got their own binary NG for images and sound clips.

> If you want to do this, then I'll even sign the petition, and frequent
> the trial group while awaiting final decision.  However, that's not
> going to change this group.

> Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
> FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
> Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
> My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

A question about asking questions <g>

Post by Anthony Argyrio » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks Ronald,
>That makes sense, although it may be obsolete thinking on the part of the
>gods of newsgroups. I would not want a PSP group in the alt.binaries
>division, among all the filth that you find there. I presume that there are
>kids who are also interested in graphics, and the "red light district" is
>hardly a place for them. So it looks like we are out of luck.

But it would be possible to create a comp.graphics.apps.psp.binaries group,
using the standard RFD and CFV mechanisms, keeping the group out of the
alt.* heirarchy, but still warning people (including news admins) that it's
a binairies group. I'm not volunteering to do _any_ of the work required.

Anthony Argyriou
c.g.a.psp FAQ developer
http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
http://www.alphageo.com/psp/