Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

Post by Darryl Scott Dieckm » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for advice on components for a graphic design PC.

I am about to buy a new PC for doing * graphic design at home.
My wife will be using the computer for graphic design work, and I will
be using the computer for software development.

I'm not trying to build the SUPER graphic design workstation. The *
work is new, so we don't know how long it will take to pay off.  We just
need enough power to get started, and when the money starts coming in, we
will just upgrade.

Most of the work we envision doing in the beginning will be the design
of interior/exterior signage, logos, and corporate identity solutions.

I have 'settled' on the following configuration
        Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache
        32MB memory
        2.5 GB hard disk
        4.0 GB tape backup
        8x CD ROM
        17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )
        Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

I need some help with the following issues:

* What is required to perform color calibration? (software, video card, ...)

* What are some things to look for in a video card?

* What is a good video card that won't cost a fortune ( < $250 )?

* What is a good 17" monitor that won't cost a fortune?

* Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat productive?

* What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

* Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a decent
  short term solution for scanning?

Thanks in advance.

--
Darryl Dieckman                University of Cincinnati

Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

Post by Michael D. Painte » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for advice on components for a graphic design PC.

> I am about to buy a new PC for doing * graphic design at home.
> My wife will be using the computer for graphic design work, and I will
> be using the computer for software development.

> I'm not trying to build the SUPER graphic design workstation. The
*
> work is new, so we don't know how long it will take to pay off.  We just
> need enough power to get started, and when the money starts coming in, we
> will just upgrade.

> Most of the work we envision doing in the beginning will be the design
> of interior/exterior signage, logos, and corporate identity solutions.

> I have 'settled' on the following configuration
>    Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache

Good processor generally (I use a P150+) but Intel is faster on floating
point which may be important to you.   I have found one scanner that will
not run with the chip. (Paktek)

Quote:>    32MB memory
>    2.5 GB hard disk
>    4.0 GB tape backup
>    8x CD ROM
>    17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )

I'm very pleased with the quality of the Princeton monitors.
But check out :

20" SONY MONITOR + MIRAGE Z-128 (128bit card) PCI.......$695.00

1 year free warranty, 7 day money back guarantee!, Free Tech support!!

- Excellent quality SONY tube HP98752 .28 dot pitch, flatscreen,
-Trinitron  color monitors, 19.4" viewable!
- Refurbished by HP, LOOK BRAND NEW
- NO BURN IN or scratches!  GUARANTEED
- adjusted for 1024x768 resolution, runs also DOS, text, graphics
- also capable of running 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768,
- 90 day WARRANTY. Extended warranty to 1 year for $49.00(FREEEE  NOW)
- No burn in, no problems with any portion of display
- Sharp bright flat screen pitcure
- 7 day money back Guarantee (excludes shipping)

These monitros require the provoded mirage cards to run on PC
-Graphic card:  MIRAGE Z- 128 PCI
  2.25meg MDRAM(faster than v ram)
  upgradable to 4 meg ($100.00 extra)
  ultra fast card, Out performs any card in the market
  win 95 plug n play,
  includes drivers for , win3.1.., OS/2, WIN NT, Lynnex, autocad, many
more....
  5 year warranty  brand new
The monitor:

-Shipping UPS $23.00 in CA, $31.00 anywhere in the US.
We accept Visa, MC & Discover, AMEX, (no surcharge)

other card options:
MIRAGE wind 1280-64 For 1 meg ISA, VL or PCI card deduct...-$100.00
MIRAGE wind 1280-64 For 2 meg VL or PCI card deduct........-$50.00
for MIRAGE STORM 1600 (S3 968 w/ 2 meg VRAM PCI) add........$50.00
for MIRAGE STORM 1600 (S3 968 w/ 4 meg VRAM PCI) add........$150.00
FOR MIRAGE Z-128 PCI 4 meg card add.........................$100.00

for picture of the monitor or to place an order,  visit our web page
www.multimedianet.com

Multimedia Computers

or you can fax your order to 1-310-301-4546
(please include name, address, tel#, fax#, payment info)
Ship to Anywhere in U.S.A

We have one on order and it is going into a graphics house. Email me in a
couple of days for the opinion of people who work in this field all day.
They also have 17 inch monitors.

Quote:>    Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

> I need some help with the following issues:

> * What is required to perform color calibration? (software, video card,
..)

> * What are some things to look for in a video card?

> * What is a good video card that won't cost a fortune ( < $250 )?

PC magazine just reported on a bunch of new ones. I would look strongly at
spending more than that even at the expense of the CPU. A faster video card
will make a bigger difference that a faster processor in overall throughput

Quote:

> * What is a good 17" monitor that won't cost a fortune?

> * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat
productive?

> * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

Sheet feed scanners usually are cheaper than equivalant flat beds and have
fewer moving parts.

Post by tmc » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat productive?

I use a 486/66 with 20MB and Win95.  I have no problems running
PhotoShop 3.xx and several other high-end graphics programs.  I'll admit
I can sometimes go put on another coffee while waiting for some things
to finish but it wouldn't be that much better with more memory.

Quote:> * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

> * Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a decent
>   short term solution for scanning?

I use the Logitech 16.7 million color hand scanner and feel that it's
okay.  Mind you I'm not scanning stuff to be printed.  Most of the stuff
I scan ends up being viewed on computer monitors which have a much lower
resolution than the scanner.  Check out the photos at:

http://www.accent.net/tmc/artpage.htm

If you view these with a decent monitor set at 64K colors or greater you
should get a good idea of what the quality of the scans would be.  These
4x6 photos were scanned at 100dpi.

Quote:> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Darryl Dieckman                University of Cincinnati

Good luck,
T. Michael Clark
President  Earth Orbit Consulting

Free Web Graphic Tutorials--Learn to make your own professional-looking
Web Graphics.  Go to the URL below and select the TUTORIAL button.

Graphics Tutorials:  http://www.accent.net/tmc/grafx.htm

Web Page Design:     http://www.accent.net/tmc/earth.htm

Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

Post by Kym ap Rhy » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi Darryl,

Quote:>         Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache
>         32MB memory
>         2.5 GB hard disk
>         4.0 GB tape backup
>         8x CD ROM
>         17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )
>         Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

I'd go for the Matrox Millenium with 4Mbytes of Ram - gives you
truecoulour at resolutions up to 1280 x 1024. I can highly recommend the
IIYAMA Vision master Pro 17" monitor with this card. Don't skimp on the
monitor and graphics card - you only have one set of eyes and you'll be
spending hours in front of it.

Quote:

> * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat productive?

Reasonable - but you will find yourself wanting more... Actually I do a
fair amount of work on a P150 with 24Mbytes of RAM, but it does slow
down on large files. Having the Matroc Millenium helps, as this is very
fast on redraws.
Quote:

> * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

What do you mean by entry level? I use an Epson GT9000 (600 pounds
sterling) Adequate, good for the money, but lacking somewhat in dynamic
range and the drivers are rubbish. I think cheaper flatbed scanners are
probably worse than this.
Quote:

> * Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a decent
>   short term solution for scanning?

Only if you want low resolution and have a VERY steady hand. Not really
suitable for professional use.

Hope the above helps

Regards

Kym ap Rhys

Post by Steve Sta » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for advice on components for a graphic design PC.

> I am about to buy a new PC for doing * graphic design at home.
> My wife will be using the computer for graphic design work, and I will
> be using the computer for software development.

> I'm not trying to build the SUPER graphic design workstation. The
*
> work is new, so we don't know how long it will take to pay off.  We just
> need enough power to get started, and when the money starts coming in, we
> will just upgrade.

> Most of the work we envision doing in the beginning will be the design
> of interior/exterior signage, logos, and corporate identity solutions.

> I have 'settled' on the following configuration
>    Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache
>    32MB memory
>    2.5 GB hard disk
>    4.0 GB tape backup
>    8x CD ROM
>    17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )
>    Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

> I need some help with the following issues:

> * What is required to perform color calibration? (software, video card,
..)

> * What are some things to look for in a video card?

Fast RAMDAC speed for high refresh rates
EDO-VRAM or WRAM. Stay away from DRAM based cards with slow RAMDAC's (like
the Mystique's 135MHz/SDRAM)

Quote:> * What is a good video card that won't cost a fortune ( < $250 )?

For cost and high speed go with the STB Velocity 3D
4MB EDO-VRAM, 220MHz RAMDAC, Kodak Color Calibration Software Included,
very fast 2D (faster than Matrox Millennium even)

Quote:> * What is a good 17" monitor that won't cost a fortune?

Panasonic Panasync S17 or P17. I have the Panasync S17. I paid $550 for it.

Quote:> * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat

productive?

If you're serious, go with 64MB while it's cheap. Will slowly go up soon.

Quote:> * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

Don't go with anything less than a Hewlett-Packard 4P (less than $500)

Quote:> * Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a
decent
>   short term solution for scanning?

I wouldn't even think about it.

Post by Alex Demchu » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I am looking for advice on components for a graphic design PC.

> > I am about to buy a new PC for doing * graphic design at home.
> > My wife will be using the computer for graphic design work, and I will
> > be using the computer for software development.

> > I'm not trying to build the SUPER graphic design workstation. The
> *
> > work is new, so we don't know how long it will take to pay off.  We just
> > need enough power to get started, and when the money starts coming in, we

> > will just upgrade.

> > Most of the work we envision doing in the beginning will be the design
> > of interior/exterior signage, logos, and corporate identity solutions.

> > I have 'settled' on the following configuration
> >       Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache
> >       32MB memory
> >       2.5 GB hard disk
> >       4.0 GB tape backup
> >       8x CD ROM
> >       17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )
> >       Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

> > I need some help with the following issues:

> > * What is required to perform color calibration? (software, video card,
> ..)

> > * What are some things to look for in a video card?

> Fast RAMDAC speed for high refresh rates
> EDO-VRAM or WRAM. Stay away from DRAM based cards with slow RAMDAC's (like
> the Mystique's 135MHz/SDRAM)

> > * What is a good video card that won't cost a fortune ( < $250 )?

> For cost and high speed go with the STB Velocity 3D
> 4MB EDO-VRAM, 220MHz RAMDAC, Kodak Color Calibration Software Included,
> very fast 2D (faster than Matrox Millennium even)

> > * What is a good 17" monitor that won't cost a fortune?

> Panasonic Panasync S17 or P17. I have the Panasync S17. I paid $550 for it.

> > * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat
> productive?

> If you're serious, go with 64MB while it's cheap. Will slowly go up soon.

> > * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

> Don't go with anything less than a Hewlett-Packard 4P (less than $500)

> > * Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a
> decent
> >   short term solution for scanning?

> I wouldn't even think about it.

Memory going up in price? What the hell we've waited this many years for
it to go down and you're saying its supposed to go back up again whats
this all about?

Post by Mike W. Ker » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

> > > I am looking for advice on components for a graphic design PC.

> > > I am about to buy a new PC for doing * graphic design at home.
> > > My wife will be using the computer for graphic design work, and I will
> > > be using the computer for software development.

> > > I'm not trying to build the SUPER graphic design workstation. The
> > *
> > > work is new, so we don't know how long it will take to pay off.  We just
> > > need enough power to get started, and when the money starts coming in, we

> > > will just upgrade.

> > > Most of the work we envision doing in the beginning will be the design
> > > of interior/exterior signage, logos, and corporate identity solutions.

> > > I have 'settled' on the following configuration
> > > ===============================================
> > >     Cyrix 166+ w/512k cache
> > >     32MB memory
> > >     2.5 GB hard disk
> > >     4.0 GB tape backup
> > >     8x CD ROM
> > >     17" Princeton Monitor ( uncertain about this )
> > >     Matrox Mistique 2MB WRAM ( VERY uncertain about this )

> > > I need some help with the following issues:

> > > * What is required to perform color calibration? (software, video card,
> > ..)

> > > * What are some things to look for in a video card?

> > Fast RAMDAC speed for high refresh rates
> > EDO-VRAM or WRAM. Stay away from DRAM based cards with slow RAMDAC's (like
> > the Mystique's 135MHz/SDRAM)

> > > * What is a good video card that won't cost a fortune ( < $250 )?

> > For cost and high speed go with the STB Velocity 3D
> > 4MB EDO-VRAM, 220MHz RAMDAC, Kodak Color Calibration Software Included,
> > very fast 2D (faster than Matrox Millennium even)

> > > * What is a good 17" monitor that won't cost a fortune?

> > Panasonic Panasync S17 or P17. I have the Panasync S17. I paid $550 for it.

> > > * Is 32 Meg of memory enough memory to get started and be somewhat
> > productive?

> > If you're serious, go with 64MB while it's cheap. Will slowly go up soon.

> > > * What is a good entry level scanner? Is there such a thing?

> > Don't go with anything less than a Hewlett-Packard 4P (less than $500)

> > > * Do the logitech hand held scanners work very well?  Would they make a
> > decent
> > >   short term solution for scanning?

> > I wouldn't even think about it.

> Memory going up in price? What the hell we've waited this many years for
> it to go down and you're saying its supposed to go back up again whats
> this all about?

Do not fear the Mystique. I had the Millennium and I prefer the
Mystique!

Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

Post by Michael D. Painte » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

Quote:> Memory going up in price? What the hell we've waited this many years for
> it to go down and you're saying its supposed to go back up again whats
> this all about?

My price for 16 Mb EDO RAm was about 70.00 three weeks ago, now it's about
$100.00. The same increase has occurred across the board.
It's about a cut in production to increase cost.
The computer world still seems to think it's better  to net a dollar each
selling one item, rather than fifty cents each selling four items.

1. Mid to High end video cards and monitors?

You need an operating system that supports it, win 95 has support but
honestly I'm not that familiar with it.  You also need calibration
information for your scanner, monitor and printer.  This is heresy but
you might look into a Mac.

You mentioned earlier about using the mystique with 2 meg.  I would
recomment looking into a 4 meg millenium, It is going for about $250
now.  I believe it has excellent support and color calibration
software.

There are numerous good 17" monitors that cost less than $700, I would
recommend you go down and pick the one that looks best to your eyes
and has the features you want.  If you want cheap I bought an
Optiquest for $550 that works quite well for me.

It's a start but for heavy graphics more is better,  Another 32 megs
shouldn't bust the budget and you'll be glad you have it.

Yes there are many good low cost scanners.  They start for less than
$300 and $600 will get you a decent 600x1200 optical resolution
flatbed scanner with transperancy adapter.

No.  I've used a hand-held scanner and they are more trouble than they
are worth.  You will give up in disgust after a very short time.

2. Anybody used a Muztek scanner on a Mac?

3. MId- to High-end GL graphics cards

4. Wanted: Quark 3.3x for Mac

5. ??which mid-high end printer??

6. multiple opengl windows

7. mid- to high-end board recommendations?

8. MAYA in Java: new release 0.2

9. FS: High End Video Capture Card - NUBUS

10. High end Video Card Comparison review

11. Wanted to buy: High end video card

12. HIGH END PCI VIDEO CARD - CHEAP!

13. High-end video card help...