NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

Post by Del Hans » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

My daughter is a graphics design major in her junior
year of college.  She will be needing a Mac/Mac-clone
computer this year.  I expect she will be using programs
like PhotoShop, CorelDraw, Quark, etc. and perhaps some
animation type software.  She is considering getting a
PowerBase-180 with 32MB RAM and 2MB VRAM.  An optional
graphics accelerator card with 4MB or 8MB of VRAM is
available.  Will the basic system do the job for her?
Will she need the optional graphics card?

I am also thinking of using the system for 3D
landscaping and home design programs (don't know which
software yet).  Will the basic PowerBase handle these
type software adequately with reasonably fast video
response?

Thanks for the advice,
        -- Del

Post by Gavriel Sta » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>My daughter is a graphics design major in her junior
>year of college.  She will be needing a Mac/Mac-clone
>computer this year.  I expect she will be using programs
>like PhotoShop, CorelDraw, Quark, etc. and perhaps some
>animation type software.  She is considering getting a
>PowerBase-180 with 32MB RAM and 2MB VRAM.  An optional
>graphics accelerator card with 4MB or 8MB of VRAM is
>available.  Will the basic system do the job for her?
>Will she need the optional graphics card?

The graphics accellerator will definitely help for CorelDRAW,
but 8 Megs of VRAM is probably overkill.  4 Megs is perfectly
sufficient to do 1024x768 in full 24-bit color.  The 2 Megs of
internal VRAM isn't enough to do 1024x768 in 24 bit color.

--
     Gavriel State | Lead Developer - CorelDRAW! for Macintosh
   This is a private account; I don't speak for Corel from here.

Post by Timothy A. Malloro » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> My daughter is a graphics design major in her junior
> year of college.  She will be needing a Mac/Mac-clone
> computer this year.  I expect she will be using programs
> like PhotoShop, CorelDraw, Quark, etc. and perhaps some
> animation type software.  She is considering getting a
> PowerBase-180 with 32MB RAM and 2MB VRAM.  An optional
> graphics accelerator card with 4MB or 8MB of VRAM is
> available.  Will the basic system do the job for her?
> Will she need the optional graphics card?

> I am also thinking of using the system for 3D
> landscaping and home design programs (don't know which
> software yet).  Will the basic PowerBase handle these
> type software adequately with reasonably fast video
> response?

> Thanks for the advice,
>         -- Del

The PowerBase is good and should be adequate in its base configuration.
If the budget allows through, a PowerTower 180 would be a wiser
selection for graphics work. The 604e cpu in the Power Tower is between
30% and 50% faster then the 603e cpu in the Power Base at the same MHZ.
They also come with 1 mb L2 cache versis 256k which gives the Tower
another speed advantage.

I strongly suggest getting 64 meg of memory. I would not buy it from
Power Computing though. Take a look locally for memory. I have seen 32
meg as low as $180. This will save you money.

The reason I recommend 64 mb of memory is due to the type of programs
you have listed. Each works fine in 32 meg but having more just opens
them up for better performance and allows work on larger files.

The graphics card that is optional is very nice. It speeds up graphics
display by a large, visible margin. Since I have no experience with the
amount of VRAM on the board, I can not recommend between 4 and 8 meg.
The build in video is accelerated and quite good though. I have no
specific recommendations here. I do believe it does 3D accelleration.
Check with Power Computing to be sure though.

 Timothy A. Malloroy             | =======    =======
 Technical Support Staff Engineer|        \  /
 3535 Harbor Boulevard           | ========><========
 Costa Mesa, CA  92626           |        /  \
 Tel: (714) 513-8270             | =======    =======
 FAX: (714) 532-8135             |    E M U L E X

NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

Post by Clayton Horst » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

That should be fine computer for most of your needs.  The VRAM is
supposed to be expandable to 4 megs so that isn't a problem.  I use a
much slower computer with only 1 meg of VRAM and it is fine.  And by
getting a less expensive computer you can fit more ram.  Photoshop
loves lots of ram.  A 32 meg system is pretty much a good base to
start at.

NEED ADVICE -- Which MAC for Graphics Design Student

Post by Clayton Horst » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

That should be fine computer for most of your needs.  The VRAM is
supposed to be expandable to 4 megs so that isn't a problem.  I use a
much slower computer with only 1 meg of VRAM and it is fine.  And by
getting a less expensive computer you can fit more ram.  Photoshop
loves lots of ram.  A 32 meg system is pretty much a good base to
start at.

1. Computer Graphic Design Advice needed please

Hi,
  I'm wanting to put up a flowchart for a client.  It's not a technical one,
but instead shows
the flow of services offered, from the beginning to the next step and so on.
I could use a tool like MS Visio, or even Illustrator.  In that case, I
might need to construct an imagemap as some of the flow diagram might have
arrows that point to pages with further details.  Trying to line up the
items of clipart, various images including arrows, using Tables is not going
so well, as one can tell be seeing the site in question.
http://jruth.org/flowchart.html
    Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.  For example should I
use tables and keep the images separate instead of one large graphic that is
sliced or setup as an imagemap?  When using an imagemap, on the server side,
I'd need some code in Perl or php correct?  I mean those are the two
application servers on my system.
Thanks,
Bruce

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://TriangleWebHosting.biz
Webmaster/Web Designer/Writer
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Content filenames wanted please!

3. Students need your old Mac for graphics

4. how about a Lscript that can build Nurnies n stuff like that

5. Need advice on Graphic Design Small Claims Issue

6. How to program a Screen Saver?

7. Need advice on leasing Mac for graphics work

8. Zoom out,pic gone

9. Need Mac to PC graphics advice

10. Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

11. Need Mac to PC graphics expert advice

12. Need reasons why Macs are better than PCs for Graphic Design

13. uncertain student, needs advice