Hardware Support for High Speed Graphics Computations

Hardware Support for High Speed Graphics Computations

Post by l.. » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 01:46:00

Does anyone know about any research/papers on high speed architectures for
computer graphics computations? For instance, DEC has recently announced
the VaxStation 8000 and Texas Instruments has had their graphics chip out
for a while.

        Stephen Lui

        UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!lui

Post by Jim Bart » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 17:49:00

> Does anyone know about any research/papers on high speed architectures for
> computer graphics computations? For instance, DEC has recently announced
> the VaxStation 8000 and Texas Instruments has had their graphics chip out
> for a while.

>    Stephen Lui

>    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!lui

Call up Silicon Graphics and ask for the technical brief on the 4D70GT
graphics superworkstation.  First customer ship was yesterday (yes, that
means you can really get one).  100 MFlops of graphics horsepower,
10 VAXMips of compute power and 96 bitplanes (32 bits RGB and alpha
double buffered plus a 24 bit Z-buffer plus speciality planes for
window manager and hardware clipping support).  All for under $100K.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"

--
Disclaimer:  Sure I'm proud of the beast!  I worked on it, after all.

Post by Harri Rautiain » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 17:51:00

>Does anyone know about any research/papers on high speed architectures for
>computer graphics computations? For instance, DEC has recently announced
>the VaxStation 8000 and Texas Instruments has had their graphics chip out
>for a while.

SKY Computers in Lowell, Mass., makes array processors
for SUN, microVAX, VME-bus and PC-AT bus systems.
Array processors are often used to speed up graphics and
imaging applications.

You may want to contact SKY's West Coast reg'l office:

    Tel: (714) 474-1940

Harri Rautiainen

1. Distributed GL graphics via high speed networks...

I recently discovered a new "feature" of the SGI Distributed Graphics
Library (DGL) daemon running under Irix 3.3.2 (resides on the server Iris).
It seems as though it doesn't recognize the userid from the CLIENT machine
when the userid's are DIFFERENT (such as CALVIN on a client Cray and HOBBES
on the server Iris).

The userid is typically specified with the environment variable REMOTEUSER on
the client side (e.g. setenv REMOTEUSER CALVIN).  The only way I remedied this
problem was to use the older version of the "dgld" (3.3.1).  By the way,
.rhosts, etc. are all set up correctly (all works fine with the OLD daemon).

Any comments from the SGI think-tankers?

In other late-breaking news, I am using DGL from various platforms (Crays,
Convex). I am also using the DGL with an UltraNet high-speed network.

Questions:      1) How many others out there are using the DGL??

                2) Anyone else using UltraNet with or WITHOUT the DGL
                   (including their frame buffer, etc)?  If "yes" then
                   how are you using it?

Thanks in advance (e-mail okay).

-William

--

2. PS4 books

3. High Speed Graphics Compression

4. File formats for plot, print and display

5. Need High Speed graphics creator/viewer

6. NEW SOURCE FOR GRAPHICS AND WEB DESIGN

7. High Speed Graphics

8. what hardware for high-end graphics?

9. INFO: High Quality 3-D Graphics/Animation System (Hardware/Software)

10. high speed scanners

11. i3D - A High Speed 3D Scene Viewer for the WWW

12. High Speed Digital imaging