"Iso"-Lines

Post by U.BAUMG.. » Wed, 10 Nov 1993 04:19:00

Hi!
I am looking for an Algorithm, which is capable to generate "iso"-Lines
out of a set of points. That means:
I have a number of Points, e.g. X/Y and pressure. In this case i want to
generate isobares (is this the correct term). I tried to interpret pressure
as z-value and generated triangles. Then i computete the intersection between
a Plane of constant z and the triangles. The Result: Lines of equal pressure.
But: The lines are ugly because they consist of straight segments. For a
map-like plot i need smooth curves. I tried splines, but there are cases, when
those splines intersect. Any solution out there?
Ciao, Udo

## CrossPoint v2.1 ##

"Iso"-Lines

Post by David Wats » Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:20:16

|> I am looking for an Algorithm, which is capable to generate "iso"-Lines
|> out of a set of points. That means:
|> I have a number of Points, e.g. X/Y and pressure. In this case i want to
|> generate isobares (is this the correct term). I tried to interpret pressure
|> as z-value and generated triangles. Then i computete the intersection between
|> a Plane of constant z and the triangles. The Result: Lines of equal pressure.
|> But: The lines are ugly because they consist of straight segments. For a
|> map-like plot i need smooth curves. I tried splines, but there are cases, when
|> those splines intersect. Any solution out there?
|> Ciao, Udo

You will find some answers in my book -

CONTOURING: A guide to the analysis and display of spatial data,
Pergamon Press, 1992, ISBN 0 08 040286 0

This book catalogues and categorizes all the published methods I could
find and has about 600 references.  The code that comes with the book
implements 18 interpolation methods, 5 gradient estimation methods, and
7 display methods.  Apparently the most useful, reliable, and general,
method is natural neighbour interpolation.  This is a relatively unknown
weighted average method using a variable number of area-based local
coordinates.

Details of a commercial gridding program using natural neighbour
interpolation is available by email from the undersigned.
--

Department of Mathematics                         Tel: (61 9) 380 3359
The University of Western Australia               FAX: (61 9) 380 1028

"Iso"-Lines

Post by A.PREUSS » Tue, 16 Nov 1993 17:41:36

> Hi!
> I am looking for an Algorithm, which is capable to generate "iso"-Lines
> out of a set of points. That means:
> I have a number of Points, e.g. X/Y and pressure. In this case i want to
> generate isobares (is this the correct term). I tried to interpret pressure
> as z-value and generated triangles. Then i computete the intersection between
> a Plane of constant z and the triangles. The Result: Lines of equal pressure.
> But: The lines are ugly because they consist of straight segments. For a
> map-like plot i need smooth curves. I tried splines, but there are cases, when
> those splines intersect. Any solution out there?

Try Algorithm 626 from netlib. Login to
     ftp.zib-berlin.de
goto pub/netlib/toms
get 626

    send 626 from toms

This is an algorithm in Fortran that interpolates
with quintics and avoids intersections.

Sincerely
A.Preusser

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. 3D Studio Problem

3. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

4. GIF to Metafile, I'll never give up!

5. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

6. Looking for AfterFX help

7. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***

8. how can i compute the "develope" of a curve on a cylinder?

9. HELP - "mli"/"mat"

10. "Fur"/"hair" texture

11. popen("gnuplot", "w")

12. "zero width pen" lines