Geographic Decluttering

Post by Timothy Bi » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:31:48

Hello

I am currently researching alternatives for algorithms to help in
decluttering Track information in a Traffic Management program that my
company makes.  I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't turned
up any real good sources as yet.  Any help would be appriciated.

The custoimer requirements are as follows.  Each Track in the system
can have a label containing at most 25 charactors per line, and have
at most four lines.  The Labels can be moved and parked anywhere on
the screen, and will remain connected to their associated track using
a line.  Each Label has two modes, simple or complete, so the size of
each Tracks label could vary both in width and height.  What they want
is a De-clutter function that will automatically move labels in areas
where tracks are densely populated so that all labels are visible with
no overlap.  The software would have to take into account that the
geographic view can be zoomed in or out, and that certain labels (ones
that are parked) can't be moved.

Does anyone have any suggestions of papers or sites that might help me
get a start on this?

Thanks

T. Bish
timothy.a.bish(at)lmco.com

Geographic Decluttering

Post by Peter Hall » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:22:32

There has been recent research into the cartographic placement of
annotation - which is what you seek.  One of the leaders in this area is
Chris Jones, of the University of Cardiff, whose work has led to products
in the GIS and Cartography worlds.

Quote:> Hello

> I am currently researching alternatives for algorithms to help in
> decluttering Track information in a Traffic Management program that my
> company makes.  I've been doing a lot of searching and haven't turned
> up any real good sources as yet.  Any help would be appriciated.

> The custoimer requirements are as follows.  Each Track in the system
> can have a label containing at most 25 charactors per line, and have
> at most four lines.  The Labels can be moved and parked anywhere on
> the screen, and will remain connected to their associated track using
> a line.  Each Label has two modes, simple or complete, so the size of
> each Tracks label could vary both in width and height.  What they want
> is a De-clutter function that will automatically move labels in areas
> where tracks are densely populated so that all labels are visible with
> no overlap.  The software would have to take into account that the
> geographic view can be zoomed in or out, and that certain labels (ones
> that are parked) can't be moved.

> Does anyone have any suggestions of papers or sites that might help me
> get a start on this?

> Thanks

> T. Bish
> timothy.a.bish(at)lmco.com

PPPPPH     H  | Peter Halls - University of York Computing Service -
P    P     H  |                        GIS Advisor

PPPPPJHHHHHH  | Telephone: 01904 433806  FAX: 01904 433740
P    J     H  | Smail: Computing Service,
P    J     H  |        University of York,
P    J     H  |        Heslington.
     J        |        YORK YO10 5DD
 J   J        |        England.
  JJJ   This message has the status of a private & personal communication

1. Grouping/Decluttering algorithms

As an aside on a project I am working on, I have become interested the
basic problem of plotting glyphs on maps.  The problem I have
encountered, I assume is a common one, is that I have a huge number of
similar objects which need to be represented.  Colleagues have suggested
simple grouping algorithms, and I have implemented a simple one.  My
algorithm lays a grid over the area of interest, counts the number of
objects in each segment, calculates a weighted position using the
average of all objects in that area and plots a group object at that
point with the number of objects it represents next to it.

This isn't particularly representative.  Another suggestion has been to
extend this to a finer grid, and run a density contour algorithm over
the area, then plotting the peaks.

Any suggestion of pointers to books/papers/experts on the subject would
be much appreciated.

Richard Milnes
--
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------+

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------+

2. Texture Filter and Backgrounds?

3. WARNING: Avoid Umax Scanner, read inside

4. Q: POV-Ray + height-fields + geographic content?

5. Additional Quicktime Formats

6. Innovative new Masters course in GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION at City University London

7. wmf to emf ? for tmetafile

8. Transforming Images using Geographic (Spheroidal) Coordinates

9. Geographic data query - GIS?

10. There is sometimes great value in the National Geographic

11. Geographic Info to DXF

12. geographic symbols