Single pass bounding sphere of set of points

Single pass bounding sphere of set of points

Post by Patrick Sur » Thu, 07 Nov 1991 00:11:06

I am modifying an application that does some graphics work.
At one stage, I have an array of points in three dimensions.  What I'd like
to do is calculate a (minimal radius) bounding sphere for these points.
I have two questions:
(a) How do you find the best such sphere (no restrictions) given the set of points.
(b) What is a good approximation technique if I'm allowed only a single pass through
the list (currently I just pick out the min and max of each co-ord value, and make
a sphere that contains this parallelopiped).

Please reply by email, as I don't read this group regularly.

Thanks very much,
Patrick Surry