Two questions: CR/LF Stripping, Bryce Review?

Two questions: CR/LF Stripping, Bryce Review?

Post by Andrew M. Bat » Fri, 22 Jul 1994 00:56:40

I have two questions:

One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
and replace them with regular line feeds?

Two, can anyone post a review of Bryce?  Or, barring that, send me
some info?  I want to find out as much as I can...I'm an information
sponge....

        Andy Bates.

--

Graduate Student,        lightacandlelightamotivestepdownstepdownwatchingheel
University of California, Santa Barbara  crushcrushuhohthismeansnofearcavalier

Two questions: CR/LF Stripping, Bryce Review?

Post by Roygena R Web » Fri, 22 Jul 1994 03:05:44

Quote:

>I have two questions:

>One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
>Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
>feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
>and replace them with regular line feeds?

Try BBEdit Lite (freeware). It's a text editor (like TeachText, but far
cooler), and it can figure out which kind of file you are opening (UNIX,
DOS, or MAC).

JACOB WEBER------------------------------------------*
 \   Tucson, Arizona                    Where's       \

   \   CompuServe: 72303,3540             Thing?        \

Two questions: CR/LF Stripping, Bryce Review?

Post by Chris J. Fei » Fri, 22 Jul 1994 05:33:40

There are many such shareware programs out there, Stuffit Lite allows you
to remove the 'hidden' characters with the Text Convert menu option.  But
a little utility called Drop Text seems to work the best, you just drag &
drop your files on top of the app and it automatically converts them for
you.  You can get it from a variety of sites or through an archie search.

ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu in dir /info-mac/cmp
ftp archie.au in dir /micros/mac/info-mac/cmp

I hope this helps you.

> I have two questions:

> One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
> Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
> feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
> and replace them with regular line feeds?

> Two, can anyone post a review of Bryce?  Or, barring that, send me
> some info?  I want to find out as much as I can...I'm an information
> sponge....

>         Andy Bates.

> --

> Graduate Student,        lightacandlelightamotivestepdownstepdownwatchingheel
> University of California, Santa Barbara  crushcrushuhohthismeansnofearcavalier

--
Chris Feist                       God is Love,
                                  Love is Blind,

Post by Aaron Ly » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 01:57:24

: One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
: Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
: feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
: and replace them with regular line feeds?

I use Add/Strip, a shareware text processor (not an editor)

This is an excellent program that allows you to strip all
sorts of useless info from text files.

( Aaron  Lyon )  |                       <--->

    ._____.      |          San Francisco, CA, USA, Earth, &c.

Two questions: CR/LF Stripping, Bryce Review?

Post by Richard Otter 67 » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 05:48:32

Quote:

>I have two questions:

>One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
>Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
>feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
>and replace them with regular line feeds?

I would suggest a small utility called ctc 1.6
The Info box says its name is "Change Creator/Type/EOL 1.6" writen by Brian Becthel et al.  It is a drag & drop type utility which makes it very handy.

Post by Rob Costa » Sun, 24 Jul 1994 00:09:30

>>I have two questions:

>>One, I  often transfer files off of a Unix site, and they show up on my
>>Mac with a whole bunch of those 'hidden' characters instead of line
>>feeds.  Is there any program which will automatically strip those off
>>and replace them with regular line feeds?

>I would suggest a small utility called ctc 1.6
>The Info box says its name is "Change Creator/Type/EOL 1.6" writen by Brian Becthel et al.  It is a drag & drop type utility which makes it very handy.

You can avoid the problem at the source when you are downloading from the
Unix site. Assuming that you are using ZModem protocol, enter:

sz -a filename

The '-a' causes the file to be sent as ascii text, and the funny
characters become carriage returns.

If you are using another protocol (except for Kermit), I think you can use
the same protocol, adding '-a' before the filename.

Hope that helps!

--

1. Text Tool NOT doing LF on CR

I noticed yesterday when I used the text tool I couldnt get it to line feed after CR. The cursor
just went to the middle of the same line and continued with the text I was typing. What has caused
this???
I cant get more than one line at a time at the moment with the text tool option... What have I done
wrong. It used to work , only a few days ago!!!

Cheers

--

We pass this way but once, there is no normal, there's no such thing as normal. |
There's you and there's the rest, there's now and there's forever.              |
Do as you damned well please, have a look at .... it will chill your soul..     |
That's what you could end up being, a pot-bellied, hairless, boring fa..        |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

2. : New Netscape 4 Palette

3. Charlie White Reviews Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R/DVD-RAM Drive

4. comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing FAQ (part 1/2)

5. Reviews of Vivid-Detail's Test Strip

6. "Smart" min/max calculation

7. Bryce 2 Indepth Review

8. Reviews on Bryce 3D

9. Bryce 2 Indepth Review

10. Help convert multi-strip TIFF to single strip TIFF

11. Triangle Strip Preserving LOD (T-Strip LOD)