Virtual Reality Research Programmer Needed

Virtual Reality Research Programmer Needed

Post by Rob Pag » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

            |                                          |
            | Full-time Contractor Position Available  |
            |                                          |
            |         Immersive Simulation Lab         |
            |                of the                    |
            |        Naval Research Laboratory         |
            |                                          |

Contribute to the leading edge of fully immersive VR simulators.
Computer graphics developer sought by research group specializing in
advanced interaction techniques and devices to help construct Virtual
Environments and develop new ways of simulating real-world interaction.

Our Research: Controls for Virtual Environments
Our group creates and evaluates new controls that allow people to apply
their natural sensory-motor skills in concert to move through and
interact with Virtual Environments.  We apply knowledge from the fields
of computer graphics, software engineering, user interface design,
pattern recognition, biomechanics, and input device construction to
develop new interface technology.  We have developed a virtual
locomotion control, called Gaiter, based on walking in place to walk
through VE (PRESENCE, Dec. 1999).  The current version of the system
moves the user's viewpoint through VE.  We are extending it to provide
fully immersive simulators for training mobile users.  Future work will
involve adding realistic virtual representations of the user in VE
(avatars), further support for manipulating virtual objects, and the
distributed interaction of multiple users.  A primary focus of this
research is to develop fully immersive dismounted infantry simulators.

We develop in C++ on PC and SGI workstations and work with a variety of
3D tracking systems, special purpose input devices (e.g., force sensors
and instrumented props), head-mounted displays, and audio systems.  We
use a combination of SGI and Windows NT systems and are in the process
of converting our rendering system from Performer running on SGI
machines to Vega running on NT platforms.

We are looking for someone to:
   - develop VE testbeds used to study interaction techniques
   - help design and implement new techniques & software architectures
   - work on real time collision detection and handling

The successful candidate will have a background in 3D computer graphics,
a BS or MS in computer science, engineering or equivalent, and strong
C++ programming skills.  Experience with graphics programming under
Windows NT and Unix is a plus.

The Setting
-----------
The Naval Research Laboratory is located in Washington, DC.
The Immersive Simulation Lab is part of the Navy Center for Applied
Research in Artificial Intelligence.

            U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency Required.
                  NRL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Virtual Reality Research Programmer Needed

Post by Kirk Gordo » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hmmm...

   What if I develop a VR simulation program that makes it look and feel
as if I've developed a VR simulation program that makes it look and feel
as if I've...  Oh, nevermind.

KG

Post by John Nagl » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:19:14

> We have developed a virtual
> locomotion control, called Gaiter, based on walking in place to walk
> through VE (PRESENCE, Dec. 1999).  The current version of the system
> moves the user's viewpoint through VE.  We are extending it to provide
> fully immersive simulators for training mobile users.  Future work will
> involve adding realistic virtual representations of the user in VE
> (avatars), further support for manipulating virtual objects, and the
> distributed interaction of multiple users.  A primary focus of this
> research is to develop fully immersive dismounted infantry simulators.

    That could be the arcade game of five to ten years out.

    See http://elazar.itd.nrl.navy.mil/projects/proj-cse.html
for the project.  There's a 32MB Quicktime movie of the system.

                                        John Nagle
                                        Animats